Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome - ATP Masters 1000

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As to your previous, it's true that Schwartzman lost his form after the rain delay in Paris a few years back, but he had only one one set. It's a bit of a stretch to think he was going to win it...you may not have meant that, but people do make a lot of how "unlucky" Schwartzman was in that match.
I didn't mean Diego had a huge chance to win that match without rain delay, just a feeling that it would be closer if there was no delay, maybe tighther 4 set match or possible 5, but Rafa would most likely win it at the end.

As to Rafa loss last night it doesn't mean much, he has lost before in tournaments before RG and still managed to win RG comfortably, but it was somewhat shocking because everyone predicted Rafa Novak final with question marks over Novak if he is going to even reach the final. He still has 2 matches to win the tournament and as Margareth mentioned he doesn't look convincing at all. Is he tired or maybe mentally drained from the recent happenings, I don't know. I hope he can raise his level when it matters.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I didn't mean Diego had a huge chance to win that match without rain delay, just a feeling that it would be closer if there was no delay, maybe tighther 4 set match or possible 5, but Rafa would most likely win it at the end.

As to Rafa loss last night it doesn't mean much, he has lost before in tournaments before RG and still managed to win RG comfortably, but it was somewhat shocking because everyone predicted Rafa Novak final with question marks over Novak if he is going to even reach the final. He still has 2 matches to win the tournament and as Margareth mentioned he doesn't look convincing at all. Is he tired or maybe mentally drained from the recent happenings, I don't know. I hope he can raise his level when it matters.

That's why I love predictions; exp. the not so extreme ones where Nadal's expected to coast to another final on clay while musing if Nole would even make it! Typical; "chickens, eggs, hatched, etc.!" :lulz1: People were actually feeling sorry for Nadal's early opponents (PCB & Lajovic) saying he was ahead of schedule and driven to excel since he'd been off the tour since Feb.! History and logic? Who knows? :face-with-symbols-on-mouth:

Reactions: Bonaca

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That break-back by Djokovic at 4-5 being two set points down was terrific. Completely dictated the points to get to 5-5. Djokovic at his best there.

Reactions: Fiero425

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Despite some of these massive forehands Ruud is hitting, Djokovic is mostly in control of these points. I think it would be best for him to go after Ruud’s backhand because he seems more error-prone on that side.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ruud’s backhand slice is a clear weakness. If Djokovic keeps pressing Ruud on that side he will get more and more errors.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
That break-back by Djokovic at 4-5 being two set points down was terrific. Completely dictated the points to get to 5-5. Djokovic at his best there.
Maybe there but overall far from his best.
His serve is so far what saves him.
His baseline game not convincing, especially his FH.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Ruud collapsed in that last service game.
Good kid, some called him clay courter, that fits perfectly.

• Haha

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe there but overall far from his best.
His serve is so far what saves him.
His baseline game not convincing, especially his FH.

He’s just making some errors, like Nadal did yesterday. And Ruud was playing out of his mind on the forehand side. I wouldn’t take away from Ruud because some of those forehands were massive. He simply made them.

On that note, though, Ruud losing that first set after playing so well off the forehand and having two set points will probably be devastating for him. I expect Djokovic to really take off at the start of the second set and lose no more than 3 games in the second set. A likely 6-2 kind of set, maybe even 6-1.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Bonaca

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He’s just making some errors, like Nadal did yesterday. And Ruud was playing out of his mind on the forehand side. I wouldn’t take away from Ruud because some of those forehands were massive. He simply made them.

On that note, though, Ruud losing that first set after playing so well off the forehand and having two set points will probably be devastating for him. I expect Djokovic to really take off at the start of the second set and lose no more than 3 games in the second set. A likely 6-2 kind of set, maybe even 6-1.

It would be to send a message to Rafa; "don't send that mess my way again!" Lesson learned! :lulz1:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Big hold for Djokovic there. 2 straight very long games.

Now he really has the chance to open this up.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ruud has a massive forehand and hits some great angles with it too, but his lack of athleticism really shows when he has to move out wide, especially on the backhand side.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
That break to 4:2 was Novak at his best.
If he could play like this for most of the time, no one would come close to him.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
well done djokovic on winning Rome for 5th time And record 36th masters title, he,s going to be really hard to beat at RG even for nadal thiem.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Good call Cali. Djokovic had a match point to win at 5-2 but ended up winning 6-3. Moxie could never predict the flow of a match like that. That’s why she thinks Nadal could have still won if Medvedev did not flop on those break points at the start of the 5th set. She doesn’t understand things like that.