Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome - ATP Masters 1000

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
:clap: congrats to no 36, just wow.
Unbeaten in regular match on HC and Clay this year.
And not even constant a-game. :astonished-face:

Reactions: Mile and don_fabio

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This was a best way for Novak to brush off that USO event.

Understatement. It could not have turned out more ideally.

And what a way to shut up the haters. There were a lot of people who wanted him to lose this week and they didn't get what they wanted. You can tell from the silence on this board.

Reactions: Fiero425

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Understatement. It could not have turned out more ideally.

And what a way to shut up the haters. There were a lot of people who wanted him to lose this week and they didn't get what they wanted. You can tell from the silence on this board.
Exactly Cali, Look how silent this forum become.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
:clap: congrats to no 36, just wow.
Unbeaten in regular match on HC and Clay this year.
And not even constant a-game. :astonished-face:

That's what I have always thought is so impressive about Djokovic. More than any other player he is great at digging himself out of a hole and turning things around when he is playing below his standards.....the first set today was a perfect example. He played a few duds to fall behind 3-0 and then turned into a beast from that point on. No one is better at turning things around after struggling than Djokovic is.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats Novak winning your fifth Italian Open and 36th Masters 1000 title.( I was called into work and missed both finals).

Novak said,

"I don't think I played my best tennis throughout the entire week but I think I found my best tennis when I needed it most,in the decisive moments today,yesterday,practically every match.That makes me very satisfied and I'm proud that I managed to find the fifth gear when it was most needed'.

Well done to Diego who played solid tennis to reach his first Masters final.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Diego was playing very well, not just solid.
After Novak stepped up at the end of first set, he could not follow. Like all others.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a pleasure to watch the no 1 player when he is stepping up his game.
Jesus he can win RG , imagine the season did not stop because of corona and us open not be stolen.
also if Wimbledon was played, Jesus Christ no one would left in this forum , except very few of us!

Look what he is doing right now.
It’s becoming a message to the motherfuckers out there.
US Open stolen, so many "m****rf*****s" out there. Oh, and no one left on the forums.

For the guy who loves to call others "bitter," you have a pretty big chip on your shoulder. There have been a fair few posters who have been around since tennis came back. Most of the Fed fans aren't around, but that's understandable, since Roger is done for the year. So what is the "disappearing" that you're complaining about? That not enough people were available on a Monday to clamor around and congratulate your favorite? You could at least give it a day or two before you think everyone has abdicated the forums just because Novak won Rome, eh? Good on him. And absolutely he can win RG...he's surely the 2nd favorite. But you might reconsider blaming the entire rest of the world and the conspiracy against him for what happened at the USO. He's the guy who hit the ball and hit the lines woman.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats Novak winning your fifth Italian Open and 36th Masters 1000 title.( I was called into work and missed both finals).

Novak said,

"I don't think I played my best tennis throughout the entire week but I think I found my best tennis when I needed it most,in the decisive moments today,yesterday,practically every match.That makes me very satisfied and I'm proud that I managed to find the fifth gear when it was most needed'.

Well done to Diego who played solid tennis to reach his first Masters final.

I was most impressed with how Novak came in his first clay court tournament in quite a while. And Little Diego played his heart out, but was simply outmatched on the big points...nevertheless, Buen Hecho Diego!

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
Diego played well, Djoker just outmatched him. And that Diego yesterday would still beat Nadal. Djoker was concentrated much better than in USO. Nadal is rusty a bit. I think Nadal wont win RG.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Bonaca

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Some of y’all really like to pick and choose what information you like to feed into a narrative rather than present a more accurate representation of reality.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Some of y’all really like to pick and choose what information you like to feed into a narrative rather than present a more accurate representation of reality.

I don't mind putting forth a players' "bests" if it makes sense! Total segues from Wimbledon or USO to the French Open just to tout success & prowess of Nadal makes no sense! It happens here and elsewhere every single day like "we care!" :yawningface:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, you’re right. Djokovic has greatly underachieved while Nadal has massively and wildly overachieved at that event.
"Underachieved" and "overachieved" are subjective terms, and in speaking of the Big 3, in particular, tend to be either weaponized, or used to express bitterness. We often say that talented players like Safin and Nalbandian, and, say, Dimitrov, underachieved in their careers. That's not a controversial statement. They never accomplished what we hoped they would, or expected from them, based on their talents. Rightly or wrongly, we all accept that. When players have 20, 19, 17 Majors, however, it starts to seem petulant. Federer fans have long been complaining that Roger "underachieved" at the USO, having "merely" won 5 times; and of late they've taken to complaining that he has "underachieved" at Wimbledon, even though he holds the Open record number of titles at 8. And now you're complaining that Djokovic has underachieved at the US Open, even with 3 titles, to date. Three Majors alone being a hall-of-fame career.

"Overachieved" is the one that's more complicated arguments in sports. Complicated, I would say, because you actually achieved the thing. David Ferrer makes a good example, as does Tomas Berdych, I think. While neither was especially possessed of a great game, they were very solid. Berdych had the use of his height and his serve, Ferrer of his grit and being a great returner. They reached 3 and 4 in the world, respectively, and the highlights for each is one Major final, and a title at Paris Bercy. Did they overachieve? Well, they achieved what they did. As to an elite player, a Big 3, like Nadal: can it be said that he has overachieved, when he has achieved so much, and his ceiling is so high? I don't think so. This is where the bitterness comes in. And the subjectivity. If a player were actually "overachieving," there is plenty of opportunity for that to be exposed, particularly at a Major, where they play 7 matches, and particularly on HC, I would say, where most players excel. If you won the tournament, you didn't "overachieve." You just won it.

Reactions: imjimmy