Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very sharp Rafa today, over a tough opponent. Rather surprising, given the opponent. Dimitrov still rolling. The Italians did well, except for Caruso, who put up a bit of fight against Djokovic, and Cecchinato: Travaglia took out Coria in straights, Berrettini also won in straights, and Sinner took down Tsitsipas in 3, recording his 2nd top 10 scalp. (He beat Medvedev earlier this year.) And he's barely 19. I didn't see much of that match, but we know Sinner is an up-and-comer. And Tsitsipas continues to disappoint.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Berretini really missed his chance for a breakthrough in the US Open semis last year. Nadal got lucky with the mis-hit at the end of the first set, but Berretini still should have won the first set. It would have been a very different match after that. Had Berretini won that first set and then the match, he would have had a great chance against Medvedev. Just a huge missed opportunity. That might have been the biggest missed opportunity of his career when the moment was right in front of him and he did not seize it.

His backhand is a little bit suspect though. The forehand is explosive and the volleys are great. Very crafty with the point construction too.
your not winnning me over with your defense of this guy he,s never beaten any of the big 3 so until berretini beats a big 3 member, I will not rate him at all, he does not move as well over next gens also you need more than, Forehand and volleys to win majors. even dimitrov better LOL if you are in love with berretini just say so I,m sure he likes guys as well:broken-heart:

Last edited:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Why isn't Djokovic as good right now as he was in 2011? His movement and overall court domination are as impressive as I have ever seen. He is on a roll and most importantly he looks healthy and fit.
:p sorry but djokovic is not move as well like 2011 and is not at his at the level of the 2011-15 seasons and never will be again, djokovic movement has slowed down the last 3 years, but he covers for it by knowing where the player going to hit the ball like a football player running offside. Nadal and federer do the same thing its not same movement as their prime even a hight IQ like myself knows this LOL, also djokovic has lost power in his as well which why thiem was owning him in AO a match he should have won in straight sets. overall djokovic not even close to 2011, 2015 or even 2018, thiem Nadal zverev medevedev tsitsipas are all better movers on court and fitter as well :rip:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Musetti keeps it going by beating Kei in straights. Some electrical problems with the lights going out on a couple of stadiums.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Humbert d. Fognini, but Fabio had arthroscopic surgery on both ankles in May.
Lajovic d. Raonic, gets Rafa tomorrow.
Hurkacz d. Rublev.

Tomorrow, the two big surprises of the tournament play each other: Musetti v. Koepfler.
Dimitrov gets the young Italian hot-shot, Sinner.
Djokovic plays Krajinovic, who beat him in their only meeting, but that was 10 years ago, and by retirement, so I don't think Novak will be sweating that one.

EDIT: Krajinovic is technically the only person to beat Novak this year, in the exho in Belgrade. On clay, but in the short format.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Everyone wants to see in the final Novak-Rafa and I hope we get it.

Reactions: Andy22

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just read that the officials at Rome plan on having limited fans in attendance for s/finals and finals on Sunday and Monday.Up to 1,000 fans allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think I heard Paris' going to do the same; really limiting the public access by way of ticket sales! Friends & family will get priority I'm sure! :D

France has had a spike of COVID cases,RG have announced that they will have to reduce the number of fans in attendance.,than previously thought.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shapovalov has Youzhny coaching and he calls him the shot-selection coach. Dare we hope that he can instill some discipline? I do think he's been playing with more patience.

Reactions: 10isfan

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really like Rafa’s outfit (including the mask). It looks cool like a ninja. :boxing:

Reactions: Andy22

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Q/finals are set,

Nadal vs Schwartzman
Djokovic vs Koepfer
Berrettini vs Ruud
Shapovalov vs Dimitrov.
I don't expect Schwartzman or Koepfer to put up too much resistance.
Berrettini v. Ruud could be interesting. Ruud is a real clay man, if young, and I think Berrettini's game is more suited to hards. Should be a clash of styles.
I'm sorry that Sinner lost to Dimitrov...would have been fun to see the Shapo v Sinner match. Absent that, I'll root for Denis to keep his head and use his lefty-ness into that GD 1-hander.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think I heard Paris' going to do the same; really limiting the public access by way of ticket sales! Friends & family will get priority I'm sure! :D
only 5000 people by day for the moment....not that much for a big stadium. I guess unlucky people 'll have their money back but they must be disappointed

• Sad
Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I didn't even know Shortman was in this tourney. Haven't seen any of his matches on the streaming site.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Koepfer gets the 2nd set, after having been down a set. Djokovic smashed a racquet when he got broken back and got a warning. Not sure what the "big lesson" he said he's learned was, then. He's pretty grumpy today.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Koepfer gets the 2nd set, after having been down a set. Djokovic smashed a racquet when he got broken back and got a warning. Not sure what the "big lesson" he said he's learned was, then. He's pretty grumpy today.

It’s very hard to root for Djokovic. As you say he doesn’t seem to have learned anything...

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic played awful today. Want to see final against Nadal to see where they both are with regards to level of play.

I don't think Novak will ever change his behaviour, but smashing a racket is better than throwing tennis balls in a wrong direction.