Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, CA, USA, ATP Masters 2017

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
mrzz said:
^Makes sense but this brutal draw may be just what the doctor ordered in terms of focus. And I am looking forward to see him play Nadal again, I guess that with the extra confidence given by the AO win he wins in relatively easy two. Nadal needs to find answers to the improved backhand, but he has to focus on his own game and I doubt he lost time thinking about it (and he shouldn´t, there is a whole field to worry about).

Well, actually I hope Verdasco does not play party pooper and prevent a Fedal match.

Well, for your happiness I can tell you that if Verdasco wants and wish to beat a player more to anyone else is Nadal but unfortunately for you Rafa is playing much better than the last year so I don't think he could make it again :ras:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The Quals are over.

Notable winners: Benneteau, Popsicle and Lajovic

Notable Losers: Rajiv Ram, M. Kukushkin and Nishioka (but, gets another life as LL).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Tignor jinxes Murray and picks Delpo over Fedalovic from the bottom quarter.

Why does anyone read his picks..he knows and hear from the posters on that board he is the undisputed Kiss of Death :emperor:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
A large number of singles players are entered in the doubles event also. I could count at least 20 different decent players doing that. This is usually the case at IW and in Canada Masters (the first
of two back to back events) as players anyway has to stay around the area for the next event.

Novak, Andy, Rafa, Stan, JMDP, Berdych, Grigor, Kyrgios, Verdasco, Deliciano, Tsonga, Goffin, Cilic, Thiem, Isner, Sock, RBA, PCB, Querry, Lucas, Mischa and Sasha are all playing doubles.

Notable exception is the GOAT.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed speaking after the draw:

Most of the guys you won’t even see because they’ll eliminate each other," he told BNPParibasOpen.com. “The first message I got was Dudi Sela or Stephane Robert. I said, 'Okay, fine.' Then I heard that Rafa was in my section. Then I heard maybe Novak was in my section. It doesn't matter. I've gone through so many draws. I came here to Indian Wells to play against those guys. It doesn't matter if it's the semis, the final or the fourth round. I know it matters for you guys. The only problem is most of them will have to lose early. That opens the draw for other players. It's an opportunity for other guys to rise in the rankings. But it’s good for me to play those guys early. I look forward to it."
Federer had to turn back the clock to 2004 to recall a comparable draw. That was the year he topped Marat Safin in the Australian Open final, only to face the future Hall of Famer weeks later in the opening round in Dubai. How did he respond? He went on to win the title, of course.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Murray got a Draw like what Nole or other number ones have had in past,lets hope we get big matches later in the draw.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
shivashish said:
Has Roger ever before beaten the trio of Nadal-Djokovic-Murray en route to a title? I don't think that has ever happened.

Yes. At least once that I recall.
At the 2010 World Tour Finals he beat:

Final Federer d. Rafael Nadal [ESP] 6-3 3-6 6-1
Semifinal Federer d. Novak Djokovic [SRB] 6-1 6-4

RR3 Federer d. David Ferrer [ESP] 6-1 6-4
RR2 Federer d. Andy Murray [GBR] 6-4 6-2
RR1 Federer d. Robin Soderling [SWE] 7-6(5) 6-3

:clap

Respectfully,
masterclass

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Then the next question would be:
Is Roger at 35 as good as he was at 28?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The Quals are over.

Notable winners: Benneteau, Popsicle and Lajovic

Notable Losers: Rajiv Ram, M. Kukushkin and Nishioka (but, gets another life as LL).

Bizarre how the draw plays out, Nishioka lost to Ymer in R2 in the Qualification yesterday and now he will have a chance for a revenge right away today as they have been drawn again in R1

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For the life of me why is Rafa playing doubles with Tomic,Rafa has won the doubles twice at IW,Tomic's great form continues being defeated by a qualifer in the 1st rd,he needs a proper coach for starters also he needs to train with effort.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've read Rafa got sick (a virus) and today was his first day practicing with Thiem

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
For the life of me why is Rafa playing doubles with Tomic,Rafa has won the doubles twice at IW,Tomic's great form continues being defeated by a qualifer in the 1st rd,he needs a proper coach for starters also he needs to train with effort.
I hope they not even try to play the doubles, I've read Rafa got a virus and today was his first time practicing and with Thiem :cuckoo:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I've read Rafa got sick (a virus) and today was his first day practicing with Thiem

Yes, if only he was not sick, he will beat Verdasco, Roger, Novak, Nishi and Murray and lift the trophy. Too bad, suddenly when the draw opens up he becomes sick. :(

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope they not even try to play the doubles, I've read Rafa got a virus and today was his first time practicing and with Thiem :cuckoo:

From what I heard Rafa has or had stomach virus though had a good practice session with Thiem earlier today.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

Yes, if only he was not sick, he will beat Verdasco, Roger, Novak, Nishi and Murray and lift the trophy. Too bad, suddenly when the draw opens up he becomes sick. :(
Come on, he got sick (past time) and today he was able to practice for the fist time, what's your point? :s

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From what I heard Rafa has or had stomach virus though had a good practice session with Thiem earlier today.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got the stomach virus in Mexico, I was there a couple of times and I got a virus even that I had very careful not drinking the tap water but I have ice in the 'after dinner drink" and I got very sick for 24 hours. I was told it's the "the Montezuma revenge" against the tourists but more against the Spaniards :eek: