Fedalovic Wars

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pete was a bit jaded from those dumbass super Saturday US open semi. He took Safin to the woodshed the next year at USO
Overall i agree getting rid of a Super Saturday mens SF’s was a good thing,

However, IIRC Pete played a spirited match with Lleyton Hewitt in the SF’s , but winning in 3 straight (admittedly close) sets. Plus in the first 6 rounds Sampras lost a total of ONE set, in the qtrs to R. Kraijeck, IF Sampras was so gassed from that then perhaps he would have lost to Marat Safin regardless, who looked very impressive. This was the Marat who was a freakishly very tall power player who moved like a Russian panther.

I would argue that Sampras was more understandably spent the NEXT year, 2001, when he beat the last 3 USO champs back to back to back in consecutive rounds (Rafter, Agassi & Safin). However I don't recall if he had the last SF match on that Super Saturday.

Also contrary to what some presupposed, the last SF did not always translate to the winner losing the final the next day nor did playing in the longest SF mean the player would lose the Final. 2003 Roddick outlasted Nalbandian in 5 sets, surviving MP’s and still won the next day versus Ferrero, who had a relatively easier SF.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Overall i agree getting rid of a Super Saturday mens SF’s was a good thing,

However, IIRC Pete played a spirited match with Lleyton Hewitt in the SF’s , but winning in 3 straight (admittedly close) sets. Plus in the first 6 rounds Sampras lost a total of ONE set, in the qtrs to R. Kraijeck, IF Sampras was so gassed from that then perhaps he would have lost to Marat Safin regardless, who looked very impressive. This was the Marat who was a freakishly very tall power player who moved like a Russian panther.

I would argue that Sampras was more understandably spent the NEXT year, 2001, when he beat the last 3 USO champs back to back to back in consecutive rounds (Rafter, Agassi & Safin). However I don't recall if he had the last SF match on that Super Saturday.

Also contrary to what some presupposed, the last SF did not always translate to the winner losing the final the next day nor did playing in the longest SF mean the player would lose the Final. 2003 Roddick outlasted Nalbandian in 5 sets, surviving MP’s and still won the next day versus Ferrero, who had a relatively easier SF.

I've always thought USO the hardest major to win; esp. being the 4th of the season! Players have had to deal w/ rapid-fire surface changes; from grass in '74 to Har-Tru green clay in '75, ending in HC at new facility in Flushing Meadows in '78! It was usually hot, humid, w/ the smell of concessions wafting across the outer courts! Dealing with the airports w/ flights going in and out of the area was insane! Then the best competition wanted the title so the competition was steep for the most part even though it seemed to produce the same finalist and winners! Borg made 4 finals, but never won! Connors, Sampras, & Federer own 5! Ivan Lendl was in 8 stratight finals taking 3 straight! Just musing! :fearful-face: :pleading-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Gulbis quit smoking?! Good on him. But still, talk about people that didn't really have the game or the head for the big wins.
Yes. He quit smoking, binge drinking and worked on his fitness. He won 6 titles, over 7 million dollars and was ranked as high as #10 in the world. From the way you described him, he was a huge over achiever. :good:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes. He quit smoking, binge drinking and worked on his fitness. He won 6 titles, over 7 million dollars and was ranked as high as #10 in the world. From the way you described him, he was a huge over achiever. :good:
Personally, I DO think he was an over-achiever. What was so interesting about his game, or stand-out? Other than that weird serve? How do you know he quit binge-drinking and hookers, btw? Because he said so? Apparently what Gerailaitis said means nothing to you. Gulbis is 34 and currently ranked #314. Has he achieved more than others of his age? Just to say, Nick Kyrgios has only won only 7 titles to date, has made $12.5 million, and has yet to make it into the top 10. And he's much more talented. So, yes, I do think Gulbis has over-achieved, and even within that, he hasn't done much. Tennis rewards reasonably good players, even if they don't knock people's socks off.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A tennis career is measured by on court success. Off court choices can affect that career positively or negatively. Novak made a choice not to vaccinate. De Minaur got caught in a police sting of over 2000 people in Spain buying fake Covid papers. This was after he attacked Djokovic for trying to stay and play last year without being vaccinated. I’m sure with his net worth of 162 million dollars Novak could have bought papers too. But he didn’t. He lost 2/3 of a year based on his choice for his peace of mind and sense of happiness and well being. And de Minaur learned not to poke the bear.

I'll take it by your lack of response that you agree that I didn't say you didn't have a right to your opinion, then.

Not sure where you're going with the "what-aboutism" on De Minaur, but you may have missed the BBC investigation on Novak's positive, then negative Covid tests, which he tried to use to get into Australia.

It seems possible that his $162K in prize money might have actually bought papers.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No Moxie. You are welcome to pick apart posts piecemeal and spin them however you want, especially when it’s not what Im trying to say. You are also welcome to lecture as much as you’d like.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No Moxie. You are welcome to pick apart posts piecemeal and spin them however you want, especially when it’s not what Im trying to say. You are also welcome to lecture as much as you’d like.
That seems overly-defensive. I was never telling you that you had no right to your opinion. You ignored that, so I chose to clarify. But it is fair that I never said that. Is that spin? Or lecturing? I have said nothing that is not within the normal context of back-and-forth.

How about that BBC report? No comment?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That seems overly-defensive. I was never telling you that you had no right to your opinion. You ignored that, so I chose to clarify. But it is fair that I never said that. Is that spin? Or lecturing? I have said nothing that is not within the normal context of back-and-forth.

How about that BBC report? No comment?
You know I have been away for a while. There are new players coming up, good signs that when Djokovic and Nadal are done, mens tennis will still be exciting albeit different than before. I think Margaret, El Dude and maybe a few others have engaged in a type of discussion that encourages more discussion. You however have been anything but welcoming. And if your goal is to make sure I don’t turn up here, then just ban me. There’s discussion and then there is drawn claws. I’m trying to set a boundary. I don’t like the tenor or tone or the way you bait and twist what I say. .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know I have been away for a while. There are new players coming up, good signs that when Djokovic and Nadal are done, mens tennis will still be exciting albeit different than before. I think Margaret, El Dude and maybe a few others have engaged in a type of discussion that encourages more discussion. You however have been anything but welcoming. And if your goal is to make sure I don’t turn up here, then just ban me. There’s discussion and then there is drawn claws. I’m trying to set a boundary. I don’t like the tenor or tone or the way you bait and twist what I say. .
Oh, for heaven's sake, don't be so sensitive. I welcomed you back right away! I'm glad to see you. And spar with you. I thought that was the fun of it, and you've been around long enough to know that. It's not like you're avoiding arguments, but I'll try to draw a wide berth. Stick around and have fun!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
7 million probably paid for his womanizing, booze, smokes and etc...I'm quite sure his allowance is 20 to 50 million dollars a year from big daddy Warbucks. Give Ernie credit to compete at such a high level at times was pretty remarkable

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, for heaven's sake, don't be so sensitive. I welcomed you back right away! I'm glad to see you. And spar with you. I thought that was the fun of it, and you've been around long enough to know that. It's not like you're avoiding arguments, but I'll try to draw a wide berth. Stick around and have fun!
You NEVER say that to me or miss Margaret! You beat on us especially me like I was the step brother that nobody claimed.

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I'd love to hear about certain posters' access to Novak's medical records, etc., to "know" that he faked his leg injury in Australia (despite a corroborating MRI) and an elbow issue he's had for months, and for which he previously had surgery several years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd love to hear about certain posters' access to Novak's medical records, etc., to "know" that he faked his leg injury in Australia (despite a corroborating MRI) and an elbow issue he's had for months, and for which he previously had surgery several years ago.
The hamstring tear was corroborated by "medical expert" Craig Tiley, thus the raspberries. The sleeve for the elbow appears, and disappears. Novak has quite the history of claiming ailments/niggles, then nothing comes of them. Folks are skeptical, and rightly so.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The hamstring tear was corroborated by "medical expert" Craig Tiley, thus the raspberries. The sleeve for the elbow appears, and disappears. Novak has quite the history of claiming ailments/niggles, then nothing comes of them. Folks are skeptical, and rightly so.
Sceptical because they’re not real, they’re strategies he uses to deflect the pressure. How many times has he done this in recent years? More and more. A hamstring that heals during a tournament? Given the way he stretches like an elastic, that seems highly unlikely. But he’s done this several times, and it works for him. It helps him manage expectations while he’s working like crazy to win…

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Sceptical because they’re not real, they’re strategies he uses to deflect the pressure. How many times has he done this in recent years? More and more. A hamstring that heals during a tournament? Given the way he stretches like an elastic, that seems highly unlikely. But he’s done this several times, and it works for him. It helps him manage expectations while he’s working like crazy to win…
Again, you and Moxie are entitled to your opinions about Novak's injuries. Craig Titus was shown the MRI and others besides him stated there was a tear. And yes one can get a tear even if one stretches like a maniac. And he was CLEARLY off his game in the earlier clay tournaments and had previous elbow surgery. But I guess he faked that too. And speaking of rasberries, Moxie, your boy has been known over the years to be "injured" before a match and then plays like a maniac. But I guess you guys are frustrated/disappoibnted with Rafa's condition, and reflexively need to drag down Novak. Let's call it what it is, folks.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Again, you and Moxie are entitled to your opinions about Novak's injuries. Craig Titus was shown the MRI and others besides him stated there was a tear. And yes one can get a tear even if one stretches like a maniac. And he was CLEARLY off his game in the earlier clay tournaments and had previous elbow surgery. But I guess he faked that too. And speaking of rasberries, Moxie, your boy has been known over the years to be "injured" before a match and then plays like a maniac. But I guess you guys are frustrated/disappoibnted with Rafa's condition, and reflexively need to drag down Novak. Let's call it what it is, folks.
I wouldn’t take Craig Tiley seriously, brother. You think this spends that Novak sometimes wears is for his elbow? Is there even a smidgeon of doubt in your mind that perhaps he’s working the oracle here? I don’t blame him if he is, it’s up to his opponents to call him out on it if he is, but it smacks of playacting..

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wouldn’t take Craig Tiley seriously, brother. You think this spends that Novak sometimes wears is for his elbow? Is there even a smidgeon of doubt in your mind that perhaps he’s working the oracle here? I don’t blame him if he is, it’s up to his opponents to call him out on it if he is, but it smacks of playacting..
Craig Tiley has proven himself to be a Djokovic booster and apologist. He's gone farther than a tournament director may have been expected to, a few times. As to the sleeve that Novak is currently sporting, I'll remind you of this old chestnut:

Novak-Djokovic-plays-chess-with-Boris-Becker.jpg

2014: Djokovic lost to Federer in the MC SF with his arm heavily bandaged. Talked of injury. Even still, he beat Nadal in the final of Rome. This photo was taken before the final of RG that year, and posted by Djokovic or his team a couple of nights before the final. Even though the arm had not been bandaged the entire fortnight. Gamesmanship? Prophylactic excuse-making? These forums were quite curious, at the time. (I remember Broken saying at the time that he knows chess, and clearly they weren't playing chess. This twitter post had some purpose, but it wasn't to show what chess geniuses they were, according to him.)

In 2014, Novak went 61-8, won 7 titles, including the AO, W, and the YEC. He lost RG in the final to Nadal, and in SF of the USO. A pretty banner year.

To @roberto's point, sure Nadal has worked through injury even to win some titles, including RG last year, but it always comes with consequences. Then he gets laid up for longish-to-long periods of time. Novak has missed exactly one Major due to injury, when he closed down his season in 2017 due to the elbow. Generally, he complains about, or insinuates injuries, but suffers nothing for them in the short-/long-term, or even the next tournament.

I hope the admins won't find this too distracting to the topic. We are discussing Novak's presumptive right arm issue, and how seriously to take it.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murat Baslamisli Pro Tennis (Mens) 1923