Djokovic Fans thread

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak with the 'guru' Pepe Imaz.....will help him to find what?

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^ Love, peace. But I think that is the strange concept in today's world, so it does seem odd.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Billie and others. I saw this on my FB page today and thought I'd share. I usually only post on a few boards, but when I have time I try to figure out where things are.

Becker Federer and Nadal Absences Hurt Djokovic

By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, November 22, 2016

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2016/november/Becker-Federer-and-Nadal-Absences-Hurt-Djokovic.aspx

The absence of champion rivals contributed to Novak Djokovic's motivational malaise, says coach Boris Becker.

Becker, who celebrates his 49th birthday today, told CNN's World Sport the absence of archrivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal took a toll on Djokovic's motivatation.

"He didn't have any opponents anymore," Becker told World Sport today. "His time was with Nadal, with Federer. Andy (Murray) was always the fourth guy.

"So he lost a little bit of his opponents. Murray is showing something he hasn't shown before."

Djokovic has won six of his 12 career Grand Slam titles working with Becker as head coach. Long-time coach Marian Vajda has also been a strong contributor to the second-ranked Serbian's team.

Becker said Djokovic's expanding off-court interests limited the team's time together this season.

"As the head coach of this tennis team, our hands were a little bit tied," Becker said. "He was focusing on off-court priorities, he wanted to spend more time with his family, he has other business interests.

"He earned his time, he earned his space. He was like a machine for two-and-a-half years so all power to him. It's just from the tennis side, we were a little bit...we didn't know what to do."

The Hall of Famer believes Djokovic's straight-sets loss to Murray in the ATP World Tour Finals championship could reignite his passion for next season.

"If I have one guy that I have to play for my life, I would pick Novak Djokovic—that's how much I trust him," Becker said. "This could be possibly a turnaround for Novak Djokovic's 2017. As much as this loss is going to hurt him, it's probably going to inspire him to be re-motivated and re-energized for next year."

Djokovic declined to address his coaching situation after Sunday's loss in London.

The Roland Garros champion's relationship with former Spanish pro Pepe Imaz has caused speculation Imaz, who runs his own Love and Peace Academy in Marbella, Spain, will assume greater coaching role in 2017.

At the Paris Masters earlier this month, Djokovic shot down reports Imaz is a spiritual guru and called Imaz part of his coaching team.

"I'm not going to go into details, because there is no sense. I know certain media is trying to find a story here in calling him guru," Djokovic said in Paris. "I'm not going to give any room for speculations anymore. He's been there, and he's part of the coaching team and that's all."

A year ago today, Djokovic defeated Federer to capture his record fourth consecutive ATP World Tour Finals title.

Afterward, Djokovic delivered deep praise for Becker on his coach's then 48th birthday.

"(Boris) has put a lot of energy and effort and contribution to this team. He's going through emotions off the court, the same emotions he was going through on the court when he was playing," Djokovic said. "He understands. He feels me. Same Marian (Vajda), same all the team...

"I'm sure that Boris wants me to do well, and I want to do well with him more. I know definitely we going to work next year together and hopefully many years after that."

The decisions Djokovic makes about his team over the next five weeks could play a pivotal role in his evolution as a player and efforts to regain No. 1.

"I've had better seasons results-wise. But every year is an evolution for me," Djokovic said of 2016. "It's a different year. I mean, it's hard to expect to repeat all these things forever. I mean, nothing is eternal. I know there are other players coming up, present players that are getting stronger. I'm trying to do the same thing. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

"All in all, it's one great lesson that you have to accept and move on hopefully as a wiser person and as a better player."

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Good read TF... I totally get that. Motivation is a huge factor... it's clearly one of the things that propelled Murray in the second half of the year. Easier to aim at a target than perpetually defend one for sure.

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
^ Good read TF... I totally get that. Motivation is a huge factor... it's clearly one of the things that propelled Murray in the second half of the year. Easier to aim at a target than perpetually defend one for sure.

Thanks, do you think there's any validity to Becker's claim? I kind of do, but I'm not sure it wasn't a culmination of things; the outside interests, more demands on his time, a new family. Too many things to pinpoint as one single cause. Next year is going to be exciting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks, do you think there's any validity to Becker's claim? I kind of do, but I'm not sure it wasn't a culmination of things; the outside interests, more demands on his time, a new family. Too many things to pinpoint as one single cause. Next year is going to be exciting.

Probably a number of things dovetailing at the same time but I suspect motivation being the main one. Not easy to keep going back to the well over and over... he'd got to #1, established himself clearly as the best player in the world and achieved the career grand slam and also held all four majors at the same time...

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
thanks for the article @Tennis Fan I think @Mary and I talked about this a couple of weeks ago, didn't we?

I am sure motivation has a lot to do with his lack of passion and fighting spirits. When did you see his match where he didn't do a fist pump, or shouted angrily, or smacked a ball or racket in a very important match at least once? He's always needed that edge in him to motivate him. With all that said, I just feel there is more to it than they are saying His off court activities, his state of matters outside pure tennis matches always reflected on him and his performances. We'll see, it does add a bit of spice to the next tennis season, along with the return of Fed, it's like somebody scripted the very best scenario to keep us all on our edges for the new season.:)

Reactions: Mary

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Honesty I think what Becker has said is very disrespectful to other players and more for Muzz. Every single player goes sooner or later through bad times, they can't play their best month by month, year by year, we have seen that before. And I don't think it happens because a lack of motivation but because they are burned out after so much tough training and anxiety to win

Reactions: Mary and Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
thanks for the article @Tennis Fan I think @Mary and I talked about this a couple of weeks ago, didn't we?

I am sure motivation has a lot to do with his lack of passion and fighting spirits. When did you see his match where he didn't do a fist pump, or shouted angrily, or smacked a ball or racket in a very important match at least once? He's always needed that edge in him to motivate him. With all that said, I just feel there is more to it than they are saying His off court activities, his state of matters outside pure tennis matches always reflected on him and his performances. We'll see, it does add a bit of spice to the next tennis season, along with the return of Fed, it's like somebody scripted the very best scenario to keep us all on our edges for the new season.:)

I'm not sold on the motivation aspect. I think it's normal to have a let down after achieving a monumental goal. Getting the career grand slam was massive. I'm sure it also brought about more demands on his time, attention to current business dealings, etc. Even with the small letdown, which I think is over exaggerated by commentators, Novak still reached the USO final. I'm not sold on Novak's displays of emotions. He played the better part of his career without them. So, those displays don't come across as genuine to me. I always saw him as rather stoic. It wasn't until he began achieving his goals that these action came out, IMO.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Honesty I think what Becker has said is very disrespectful to other players and more for Muzz. Every single player goes sooner or later through bad times, they can't play their best month by month, year by year, we have seen that before. And I don't think it happens because a lack of motivation but because they are burned out after so much tough training and anxiety to win

I agree. An unmotivated person doesn't reach three major finals. There was only the blip at Wimbledon, ( I think it was). After achieving so much it's only natural to exhale.

Reactions: Carol

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

I think there are several issues that have affected Nole this year. Motivation is a factor I am sure. The French was his motivation since he started as a professional and it got bigger every time he didn't succeed. The emotion he felt at the French was plain to see. When a lifetime goal has been achieved and surpassed as this was with the 4 consecutive slams it is hard to replace, there could be an empty feeling.

Secondly health. Inevitably with a career this long he has got to the age where the body begins to struggle. There were signs of this in Canada and Cincinatti back in 2015 when his serve started to show signs of problems. There have been more this year and his serve is now very often a weakness. I think he has lost confidence in his serve. He said he had a wrist injury, I suspect a chronic injury that flares up as a match or tournament progresses. He has seen Rafa and Fed go through bad times and could well be thinking it's happening to him too. The eye infection took a big toll I think. He played Davis cup very quickly after that and looked absolutely drained and ill.

He has also been coping with the pressure of being the no 1 for ages with media that is constantly trying to put him down. He has been the person every other player wants to beat, always against the underdog for a long time without the massive support Federer and Nadal have had. Tennis Fan and I were discussing the media a few days ago. Here in the UK this year he has been accused of match fixing, doping, extra marital affairs, sexism, unjustified MTOs, unsportsmanlike behaviour, abuse of officials and ball boys and girls. None of it justified or supported by the facts. Other players have taken opportunities to say negative stuff about him too. His private life has been subject to great speculation and it may well be there is some strain there as well.

I think he was holding all this at bay because he wanted the French. Now he has that it's like his barriers against pressure and need to fight through injury have let him down.

He is a great tennis player, its abnormal for him to play a bad match. He has had good results apart from Wimbledon although the US final might have been a different story without the walkovers. But I do feel he is at a crossroads and needs to restore body and mind and be clear about what he now wants to achieve. Maybe a new person on his team would be a good thing

The game at present needs him but his wellbeing and health have to come first.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I think there are several issues that have affected Nole this year. Motivation is a factor I am sure. The French was his motivation since he started as a professional and it got bigger every time he didn't succeed. The emotion he felt at the French was plain to see. When a lifetime goal has been achieved and surpassed as this was with the 4 consecutive slams it is hard to replace, there could be an empty feeling.

Secondly health. Inevitably with a career this long he has got to the age where the body begins to struggle. There were signs of this in Canada and Cincinatti back in 2015 when his serve started to show signs of problems. There have been more this year and his serve is now very often a weakness. I think he has lost confidence in his serve. He said he had a wrist injury, I suspect a chronic injury that flares up as a match or tournament progresses. He has seen Rafa and Fed go through bad times and could well be thinking it's happening to him too. The eye infection took a big toll I think. He played Davis cup very quickly after that and looked absolutely drained and ill.

He has also been coping with the pressure of being the no 1 for ages with media that is constantly trying to put him down. He has been the person every other player wants to beat, always against the underdog for a long time without the massive support Federer and Nadal have had. Tennis Fan and I were discussing the media a few days ago. Here in the UK this year he has been accused of match fixing, doping, extra marital affairs, sexism, unjustified MTOs, unsportsmanlike behaviour, abuse of officials and ball boys and girls. None of it justified or supported by the facts. Other players have taken opportunities to say negative stuff about him too. His private life has been subject to great speculation and it may well be there is some strain there as well.

I think he was holding all this at bay because he wanted the French. Now he has that it's like his barriers against pressure and need to fight through injury have let him down.

He is a great tennis player, its abnormal for him to play a bad match. He has had good results apart from Wimbledon although the US final might have been a different story without the walkovers. But I do feel he is at a crossroads and needs to restore body and mind and be clear about what he now wants to achieve. Maybe a new person on his team would be a good thing

The game at present needs him but his wellbeing and health have to come first.

This is so good, Mary. It's all of this. You covered everything.

Oh, and I meant to add, you're so right about the way that they try to portray Nole. It's so unfair. He's a player that's doing his job and they're chomping at the bit to take him down. They should be glad that he's carrying the game right now. It's good for tennis.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Nole has a schedule for first 3 months of the year. He will play next week in Doha, then AO and after 40 days break he will play only in Indian Wells and Miami before the clay season.

So there is no Dubai any more and unfortunately he will not play Davis Cup against Russia.

Reactions: Denis and Mary

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole has a schedule for first 3 months of the year. He will play next week in Doha, then AO and after 40 days break he will play only in Indian Wells and Miami before the clay season.

So there is no Dubai any more and unfortunately he will not play Davis Cup against Russia.
That seems a smart schedule. I can get your disappointment about DC, but he's done his job there, and is probably right to focus on his own calendar, at this point.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wish Nole good luck for 2017, tennis is more interesting with him

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

We'll miss him for those 40 days but he has no points to protect at Dubai and had a rough time there last time. I think DC is stressful and very demanding for top players, overall a wise decision.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Those long breaks suit Rafa, not No1e. I think his problem in last 6 months is lack of training and dedication, not lack of rest. He barely played any matches, just 28 in mostly 4 tournaments.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Those long breaks suit Rafa, not No1e. I think his problem in last 6 months is lack of training and dedication, not lack of rest. He barely played any matches, just 28 in mostly 4 tournaments.
If those long breaks would suit Rafa then he would be Ra1a.
And again, I don't believe in that "lack of trining and dedication" about a player who has tried everything to improve his game for years but I believe that he is burned out like every single player goes through physically or mentally

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
If those long breaks would suit Rafa then he would be Ra1a.
And again, I don't believe in that "lack of trining and dedication" about a player who has tried everything to improve his game for years but I believe that he is burned out like every single player goes through physically or mentally

Burning out was certainly the reason why No1e didn't try harder in last 6 months.

Don't you think that in past Rafa was coming strong after long breaks, surprisingly winning all those titles after them? No1e always looked rusty even after relatively short breaks.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Burning out was certainly the reason why No1e didn't try harder in last 6 months.

Don't you think that in past Rafa was coming strong after long breaks, surprisingly winning all those titles after them? No1e always looked rusty even after relatively short breaks.

I don't remember Novak taking any breaks but I remember Rafa playing well in 2013 because even that he was out of the court for long time he had a good preparation before to start to play again. He didn't do well the first matches/tournaments but later he was doing great, of course he was still 27 years old so I don't think it was so "surprisely". But since AO 2014 final and his back injury has been very diferent story, lack of confidence plus appendix surgery plus wrist injury which was very tough to comeback in good conditions. Now. after to be two months out and reading that he is coming back very motivated and healthy and adding a new good voice I'm sure he will do well again