Cincinnati Masters 2019, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Just checked the scores and was shocked to see that Roger lost and that too in straight sets. :eek: Did not see the match as I was at work. I have not read this forum either. I hope someone who watched would have shed some light. Am going to read now.

Federer started slow getting broken twice in his first two service games and then settled well and could've broken in the 4th game of set 2 if not for a terrible linecall.

Had trouble returning 1st serve of rublev and his slice wasn't bothering Andrei and he was trying to shorten points/didn't want to rally much so made some kamikaze netrushes(7/19 netpts won) which were punished.
He looked disinterested like he didn't want to fight or change gears/strategy.

Can't read too much into this loss though since this was a typical fast court loss where a loose service game can cost you the match.

But lack of matches(only played 2 1-hour matches without many rallies) could be tricky at USO especially in week 1

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer started slow getting broken twice in his first two service games and then settled well and could've broken in the 4th game of set 2 if not for a terrible linecall.

Had trouble returning 1st serve of rublev and his slice wasn't bothering Andrei and he was trying to shorten points/didn't want to rally much so made some kamikaze netrushes(7/19 netpts won) which were punished.
He looked disinterested like he didn't want to fight or change gears/strategy.

Can't read too much into this loss though since this was a typical fast court loss where a loose service game can cost you the match.

But lack of matches(only played 2 1-hour matches without many rallies) could be tricky at USO especially in week 1

Thanks for the summary. I get a good picture now.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Oh great another title faker will vulture. I think his entire career from 2015 should be asterisked. This is way too much vulturing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh great another title faker will vulture. I think his entire career from 2015 should be asterisked. This is way too much vulturing.
Firstly, he hasn't won Cincy yet. Second, why is everything Djokovic and Nadal win "vultering," when Roger "vultured" (your parlance)12 Majors before Nadal turned 22 and finally managed to extend his career off-clay? No asterisk on that?

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
If Novak will win in Cincy, he will have won each master event twice!
It would be an awesome record to accomplish.
Good stuff from Novak against Busta. Much better than first match.
The job isnt done yet. But dont forget , the main goal is US Open.
Idemo!!!

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Watched the Fed match and was shocked, Rublev played light out and Fed only mediocre.
But surly he isnt done, he is one of the favorites in NY, for me still above Bull on HC.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Firstly, he hasn't won Cincy yet. Second, why is everything Djokovic and Nadal win "vultering," when Roger "vultured" (your parlance)12 Majors before Nadal turned 22 and finally managed to extend his career off-clay? No asterisk on that?

As usual you're clueless.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ha, no mate. But there are native Aussies on here who might be in a better position to answer, He's not getting much love in the press right now.
I'm not a native OZ but I concur with BB: definitely no. Kyrgios' verbal abuse at Murphy (in lieu of a handshake) is equally disgusting and equally meaningful in all cultures that I know, especially Australian.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tool

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched the Fed match and was shocked, Rublev played light out and Fed only mediocre.
But surly he isnt done, he is one of the favorites in NY, for me still above Bull on HC.

He isn't winning USO. Fed hasn't done well at majors for awhile now, he will need to regroup for 2020.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
He isn't winning USO. Fed hasn't done well at majors for awhile now, he will need to regroup for 2020.

Regroup for what? He's 38. LOL

Fed played like a retard against faker and effectively ended his career. The guy just refuses to learn from his mistakes.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Regroup for what? He's 38. LOL

Fed played like a retard against faker and effectively ended his career. The guy just refuses to learn from his mistakes.

I have to try to be a bit optimistic by talking about a 2020 regroup :D Roger still has the game to win but the mind, general consistency, and body are all obvious obstacles at this point. I like the idea of him tinkering with a new racquet. At his age you have to be willing to change things quickly when things clearly aren't working (tactics, prep, racquet, etc). And Roger has done crappy for over 1.5 years now.

Chances are he's done for good. He's definitely done for this year. And after this upcoming early USO loss Id prefer he takes the rest of the year off, but we know that won't happen.