Cincinnati Masters 2019, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd care more if he hadn't been the beneficiary of gifts like that in the past; him & Nadal! Bout time 1 of the NG'rs got the old man! :whistle: :rolleyes:
I expect better analysis, especially from someone that started watching tennis since the days of Susan Lenglen.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm curious if you watched this match, because I know it would have been at an awful early a.m. hour for you. Murphy did nothing to Nick. If anything, he was incredibly tolerant. He even stopped the serve clock at one point in the 3rd to let Nick vent. As several of us have said, this is outrageous behavior and clear gamesmanship. Completely disruptive to the other player. And yet all you can do is slag the umpire, because you agree with Kyrgios that some players don't get called for delay of game often enough. Boy, you have some weirdly conflicting standards.

Late reply I know watching the women's tennis,what about when he just stormed off the court and smashed two rackets,didnt ask for a toilet break? gee I wish Lars Graf was still umpiring Nick would not know what hit him if Lars was in the chair,looking back Fergus should have called for the central umpire.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Roger got distracted by Andrey's grunting

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Just checked the scores and was shocked to see that Roger lost and that too in straight sets. :eek: Did not see the match as I was at work. I have not read this forum either. I hope someone who watched would have shed some light. Am going to read now.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Impressive Lucas Pouille today. I don't think he played this well since the AO

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Read all posts, but still could not make any sense of what happened out there. These are supposed to be fast courts and should be favoring Roger. Further, my impression of Rubleve is that of an MLBB. Need to watch the lowlights.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Read all posts, but still could not make any sense of what happened out there. These are supposed to be fast courts and should be favoring Roger. Further, my impression of Rubleve is that of an MLBB. Need to watch the lowlights.
I watched most of the match. First, Rublev barely missed. Second, Federer lacked a bit of intensity when It matered.

Strangely enough return wise one of the better showings I ve seen from Federer in years.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Replying to both posts above:

I watched the entire match. I do not know the behavior of this umpire with other players, but, in this match, he was doing the normal job regarding the shot clock. Maybe what bothered NK is that he calls the score on average quicker than the other umps -- so the shot clock starts earlier, but the thing is that whatever he was doing was consistent -- he would call it quicker after quick points, he would let the crowd finish to applaud when it was too loud, he was doing the same thing for both players. He even started to give a bit more time for NK after he complained the first time, but he simply wouldn't shut up.

Actually, he got away from taking a one game penalty he actually deserved -- it would be the third violation in a row when he broke two racquets in a toilet break. So he was in fact helped by lenience and not the other way around.

Also, and this is important, at the time NK complained at the first time, he never got even close to getting a time violation. Honestly the guy was just looking for a reason.

This will probably go down as a match he lost because of his head, when what actually happened was probably the opposite. The first set was basically one way traffic for Kachanov, in the middle of it NK started the show, and then Kachanov was not cool enough to close it out when he served for it (double faulted, made a lot of UFE's and basically gave the game away). Up untill he served at 5-4 he just lost three points on serve (one DF), while on the other hand being in most of NK's serve games. After the show started there was a sequence of 15 points where NK score 13 of those points.

KK still had a set point when NK served at 5-6, which was saved with an 142 mph ace on second serve. (Kudos for NK for having such balls). Then end result of this crazy set is a crap of tie-break from Kachanov and Kyriogs winning it.

So, he was smart enough and turned around the match. But he took it to the next level -- I agree with @Moxie that it became pure gamesmanship at some point. Then, kudos to Kachanov that from that point got his act together, focused on his game, kept his mouth shut and deservingly won the match.
Thanks mrzz for sharing it here. After that new low, I have no sympathy for Nick (just like I did not ever have for another OZ brat Tomic) and I think Nick deserves however high fine and however long suspension he receives as the result. I would not mind if this incident turned out to be a final nail of the coffin of his career and we would never heard of him anymore. Just like Tomic have sunk couple of years ago, Nick should sink right now, or maybe better for him: retire from this sport and find some other maybe team sport (e.g. his beloved basketball) where he can handle himself better and feel better. Team sports do not exert a type of psychological pressure on players as tennis does. Nick cannot handle the pressure and he's shown us many times, this time clearer than ever, that he's a lost case in tennis.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watched the Fed post-loss presser: Fed said Rublev played perfect. When asked what he would do differently in a rematch, he did not point any specific strategy, other than simply saying play better overall and try to be on the lead always.

When asked to compare the court speeds of Cincy and Wimbledon, Fed did not hesitate at all. Fed said clearly, Cincy is much faster than Wimbledon (and the ball bounces higher in Cincy also).

IIRC, the match against Milkman was played in night time last year and Fed was sweating profusely. Imagine what would happen, if it was in day time. I don't think much has changed over there at USO. That combined with this kind of performance in a tourney that he likes (not to mention his track record there in the last 10 years) , leads me to think he is not even a contender to win USO this year.

Reactions: Fiero425

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can´t believe that Khachanov yesterday played the last match of the night and today he had to play so earlier, weird, very weird.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Muzz and Feli should play doubles more often, they are doing great and the next match against the Muzz´s brother

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carreño Busta well over-matched here. Best that can be said for him is that he's making Novak work.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just watched the Fed post-loss presser: Fed said Rublev played perfect. When asked what he would do differently in a rematch, he did not point any specific strategy, other than simply saying play better overall and try to be on the lead always.

When asked to compare the court speeds of Cincy and Wimbledon, Fed did not hesitate at all. Fed said clearly, Cincy is much faster than Wimbledon (and the ball bounces higher in Cincy also).

IIRC, the match against Milkman was played in night time last year and Fed was sweating profusely. Imagine what would happen, if it was in day time. I don't think much has changed over there at USO. That combined with this kind of performance in a tourney that he likes (not to mention his track record there in the last 10 years) , leads me to think he is not even a contender to win USO this year.
It looks like we have the same Roger of the second half of 2018. The Roger who could hardly hit a first serve or a forehand. I only saw his first match against Londero and he was shanking big time.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It looks like we have the same Roger of the second half of 2018. The Roger who could hardly hit a first serve or a forehand. I only saw his first match against Londero and he was shanking big time.

Yeah I had a bad feeling we'd be seeing vanilla Fed after the Wimbledon debacle. Zero chance at USO, only question is which enemy draws 1 closer while Roger keeps up this lost, worthless year. I'm hoping he tweaks the racquet a bit, he needs more power, game has gotten a bit harmless.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is now a given, Bautista-Agut will make the top 10 Next week.
Couple of months after Fognini, two players past 30.
So, this is one more evidence to the fact that players are peaking later these days.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie