Cincinnati Masters 2019, Ohio, US, ATP Masters 1000

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
And when Nick DF's it away, he didn't shake the ump's hand but called him a "fucking tool." Audibly, on TV. That's going to be expensive. And all of his misbehavior and disgruntlement seemed self-manufactured.
This guy is a disgusting clown, talented and still entertaining to watch. Hoped to see Novak take him out. Nevertheless glad to see him lose against Karen.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Nick you make me embarrassed to live in Australia,your behavior is beyond inexcusable.

I've tried to give him every benefit of the doubt, but that ending is just sad for someone on the tour this long; same with Tomic! What's wrong with these guys; too much success too early? Where are their parents to shame them in some way? Seems like they're more "enablers" than disciplinarians! Oh well, a true waste of talent! Maybe he'll come into his own at 30 like some of the other guys and win that major! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios is too old to get spanked by his parents. If he can't win big tournaments because he doesn't want to put in the work, or doesn't really have the talent, then perhaps he feels he can win attention and endorsements by being the biggest bad boy in tennis. In that, I'm not sure he's wrong.

Reactions: mrzz

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I've tried to give him every benefit of the doubt, but that ending is just sad for someone on the tour this long; same with Tomic! What's wrong with these guys; too much success too early? Where are their parents to shame them in some way? Seems like they're more "enablers" than disciplinarians! Oh well, a true waste of talent! Maybe he'll come into his own at 30 like some of the other guys and win that major! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Quite frankly I wish the pair of them would retire from tennis ASAP.....I have tried many times to give both of them chances,both of them are like two spoiled brats,they cant concentrate for two seconds,when things don't go their way they just either Tank or spit the dummy and abuse....last time I watch Nick,I would not pay money to watch him carry on like this,same with Tomic.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe too much punishment as a fat kid, now the success and big money, couldn’t handle hit. To become parents doesn’t mean you are good in that. I remember the biting attacks of luis Suarez , another clown with serious psychological problems.
But man, who really cares?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kyrgios tonight has gone too far but the Russian has showed to have a lot of patience and a lot of control under such stupid behavior from the clown. I'm very glad that the Russian has won

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tiafoe always been inconsistent.
Perhaps when he natures more, he will become more of a thinker and use his skills more wisely.
He is still only 21 after all.

I like the guy, but if he ever gets tired of tennis could easily become a mumble rapper :)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the kind of thing where Nick makes a mockery of normal behavior, and everyone else is trying to abide by the rules and norms. Sure, the ump could have told KK to go ahead and serve, with Nick's racquet half-taped, but then chaos would reign. It's unfair to Khachanov, if you ask me. Folks talk about gamesmanship, but this is it, in the extreme.

Fergus Murphy is a tool alright so Kyrgios was right there. Could have been maybe a bit more politically correct but the bottom line is that he's right. It's not only Fergus Murphy but many umpires are scared to enforce the rules against the very top players and guys like Nick get unfair treatment such as the shot clock being started early and time violations are rarely ever dished out to the game's biggest abusers of time wasting as we all know.

They should fire all the gutless umpires and hire new ones who enforce the actual rules (imagine having the nerve to enforce the rules. Shock horror) and then Nick wouldn't be in the spotlight unfairly all the time. The way it is now though, the top players are unfairly treated and allowed to do whatever the hell they want with no repercussions.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I struggle to understand the reason for Nick outburst at Murphy. Apparently, Nick had issue with Murphy watching the serve clock "every single time". But Nick has a very fast (if not the fastest) service game on tour. So, service clock should simply not bother him. If it did, it was not a true reason but a pretext to unload on Murphy whom Nick hates regardless. I haven't watched the match I've just read the reports. Looks like with this episode, Nick had hit a new low in his career, with no reason whatsoever. Maybe someone, or Nick himself at the presser, will explain the reason so that I can have at least a bit of sympathy for Nick I like him at other times when his behaviour is sane but at this time of unexplained insanity, I simply call him psychopathic nutter.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Some interesting matches coming. Looking forward to Novak- Karen and Roger- Daniil.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Replying to both posts above:

I watched the entire match. I do not know the behavior of this umpire with other players, but, in this match, he was doing the normal job regarding the shot clock. Maybe what bothered NK is that he calls the score on average quicker than the other umps -- so the shot clock starts earlier, but the thing is that whatever he was doing was consistent -- he would call it quicker after quick points, he would let the crowd finish to applaud when it was too loud, he was doing the same thing for both players. He even started to give a bit more time for NK after he complained the first time, but he simply wouldn't shut up.

Actually, he got away from taking a one game penalty he actually deserved -- it would be the third violation in a row when he broke two racquets in a toilet break. So he was in fact helped by lenience and not the other way around.

Also, and this is important, at the time NK complained at the first time, he never got even close to getting a time violation. Honestly the guy was just looking for a reason.

This will probably go down as a match he lost because of his head, when what actually happened was probably the opposite. The first set was basically one way traffic for Kachanov, in the middle of it NK started the show, and then Kachanov was not cool enough to close it out when he served for it (double faulted, made a lot of UFE's and basically gave the game away). Up untill he served at 5-4 he just lost three points on serve (one DF), while on the other hand being in most of NK's serve games. After the show started there was a sequence of 15 points where NK score 13 of those points.

KK still had a set point when NK served at 5-6, which was saved with an 142 mph ace on second serve. (Kudos for NK for having such balls). Then end result of this crazy set is a crap of tie-break from Kachanov and Kyriogs winning it.

So, he was smart enough and turned around the match. But he took it to the next level -- I agree with @Moxie that it became pure gamesmanship at some point. Then, kudos to Kachanov that from that point got his act together, focused on his game, kept his mouth shut and deservingly won the match.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks @mrzz for the details. Nick is trying to make headlines far too often and really tries hard to create story out of nothing. I like him in some way when he is a showman and doesn't disrupt the opponent. This thing yesterday was ugly. Just lose with dignity, not like this.

Reactions: Bonaca

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And Gasquet beat Schwartzman

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This one of the "nice" words Kyrgios said to the Umpire Chair besides to spit in front of him...

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Nick fined 113K according to Tennis Channel, they’re still looking into other possible actions

Watching Sabalenka Sakkari atm :p