Can Kozlov Overcome His Forehand To Be A Top Player?

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Safarova retires to Kvitova in B'ham - the number of retirements and withdrawals this year in B'ham would fill an entire alternative tournament draw. Interesting to see if Ashleigh Barty can reach the final. I like how she's persisted on the comeback trail.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Fed has practiced with a lot of young players for years and there is a theory that it has hurt the majority of the younger players. But I think it has to be a series of coincidences. To play tennis with the GOAT has to be a blessing and not a curse.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andrew Miller writes:

And...Federer barely beats Khachanov in 2. Once again Federer's preparation and scouting separates him from the pack. Kerber could do worse than get better scouting a la Federer.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andrew Miller writes:

Catherine these retirements are a joke! Safarova seemed pretty nimble yesterday in eeking out her match versus Gavrilova.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Or it's possible these players are afraid to beat Federer. They know the underlying current of every tournament is that Federer in the final is what everyone wants - fans media organizers sponsors etc. To beat Federer is like armed robbery of a legend. To beat Federer automatically makes a player a villain. Beating Federer is revolution. I really believe a lot of players subconsciously tank to Federer who is the most beloved Jesus Christ like figure in tennis history.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

We all know strange things happen in the tournaments just before the big majors. Everyone wants to be in London Wimbledon so they can get comfortable with the highlight tournament of the year. I think a lot of these injuries or pains are exaggerated ... or possibly fabricated ::)

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Scoop - yes I think that's true re injuries. There's a certain player who has a habit of waiting until the draw is made (and ascertaining opponent) before pulling out with an injury. The women are much worse than men I think - maybe the WTA should have some serious words regarding professional obligations. Just not fair on tournament organisers and sponsors.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Oh and really good effort by Barty to see off Muguruza - now in final v Kvitova which could be interesting. I remember back in Sydney (Brisbane ?) following Kerber making heavy weather v Ashleigh, who was ranked in the 200s then, and thinking, with a lot of others, that this did not augur well for Angie's 2017.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Andrew - Going back a bit - yes, scouting is one of the things Kerber's team do not seem good at. As for the future - I predicted a while ago that Angie would probably hit rock-bottom in the summer and then maybe begin a climb back. But only if some changes are made. She'll be seeded No 1 at W'don, I presume, but won't get past her first match. My only other predictions : Rafael Nadal will not win Wimbledon. If Simona H reaches the sf she'll be in the final. Against who ? Absolutely no idea.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andrew Miller writes:

Scoop, lots of players beat Federer. Nadal didn't mind ripping away the crown. Most players cant beat him because they aren't good enough on the day and often just aren't good enough period. But I will say either a player has to play with serious courage or stupidity to beat the best players and join them at a young age. Safin when he beat Sampras didn't seem to care much back in good old 2000. Hewitt when he denied Sampras a year later at the same us open played with superhuman courage. But neither seemed particularly broken to beat the legend. For the most part I'll agree players play like doormats when they play the big guys. But among the big guys when they beat one another they don't seem to mind so much. I'd like to see the next genners go ahead and show how it's done. For the most part they just need to get more real world practice in dubs, test drive shots, perfect the ones they have, and believe in their games. And get a few fans so that they aren't alone in those stadiums. Nadal won crowds over with his bravery, audacity, sheer shot making. Djokovic endeared crowds with his late 2000s on court joking and impersonations. Murray endeared people because they felt sorry for his constant losing in finals. Then for his winning. And for partnering with a legendary coach in brad Gilbert.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andrew Miller writes:

For what it's worth I commend these new players, Alex Zverev, USA players, even Coric, Kokki, Kyrgios, because their level of play and their talent is very high. They are probably better than the guys who have been challenging the top guys over the last 14 years and it's refreshing they care to make their mark on the sport. And Scoop was right on Rublev and Khachanov. They are a lot better than I thought they were. With the right coaches and approach they will advance way up the rankings.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andrew Miller writes:

Scoop the new feature So and So Writes seems like overkill for the site!

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andrew Miller writes:

Alex Zverev vs Federer. Get your popcorn.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Yes I wondered about that feature - seems a bit redundant to me. But maybe there's some secret reason for it :)

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hartt writes:

Gasquet played well in his match today and Sascha showed mental toughness to win over him. Sascha and Mischa have a doubles match today - it's a good thing Sascha is a kid with all that energy! :)

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Draw at Eastbourne shows Simona and Angie both playing plus almost everyone else. But I'd be surprised if they all make it to the court. If Angie loses and Simona wins the title then I think Angie will lose No 1 which should come as a great relief to her.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hartt writes:

Today Sascha and Mischa, aka The Mighty Zverev Bros., won their doubles match over Klaasen/Ram in SS. Hope young Sascha is not too tired from his 2 matches today because he will have to repeat that tomorrow, when the Zverevs will play Kubot/Melo, and of course Sascha will play Federer in the singles final in Halle.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Zverev will be fired up to beat Fed as he has done it before and he needs to do it again now to regain the lost respect he suffered by his losses to Rafa this year. Beating Federer tomorrow would be a redemption for Zverev and I expect him to throw the kitchen and bathroom sinks at the King.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Andrew: But beating Federer now is different. Since his hiatus last year and returning and winning three big titles this year Fed has grown even more into a god like being. Ten years ago Akiko Morigami told me Federer "is like the God of tennis." What would she say now? But Zverev is different and he doesn't care about that. He'd double bagel Fed if he could. Hewitt and Safin didn't care either about beating Pete but Pete was not nearly as beloved as Federer is.