Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy, USO

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy

El Dude said:
isabelle said:
If Manacor's bull continues to help him, Youngderer will be N°2 after USO !!!!

That isn't necessarily true and only possible if A) Rafa misses the USO and B) Roger does extremely well at all three tournaments.

Points with the Canada, Cincinnati, and USO taken off:
Rafa 8670
Roger 5710

Also, Roger isn't even scheduled to play in Toronto - he hasn't played there since 2011. So the only way he could pass Rafa is if he won both Cincinnati and the USO.

That said, he could pass Rafa in the Race-to-London rankings - but again, he'd need Rafa to miss the USO and still do extremely well in Cincinnati and at the USO.

Jeez, I would like to know the Life expectancy of a Rafa fan compares to a Fed Fan.. This kid is gonna have all of us in a nursing home by our early 50s:cry

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

DarthFed said:
^ Thought I read somewhere yesterday that he is scheduled to play Toronto. It isn't the worst thing if he skips it though, I wouldn't mind the extra rest for him to gear up for New York.

It is the worst thing since I have semi final day tickets and I expect him to be there...:mad:

;)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Jeez, I would like to know the Life expectancy of a Rafa fan compares to a Fed Fan.. This kid is gonna have all of us in a nursing home by our early 50s:cry

That's nothing to being a No1e fan... he'll have you in the E.R. for a coronary and then up in the mental health unit several times - in one match! :nono

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

El Dude said:
isabelle said:

That isn't necessarily true and only possible if A) Rafa misses the USO and B) Roger does extremely well at all three tournaments.

Points with the Canada, Cincinnati, and USO taken off:
Rafa 8670
Roger 5710

Also, Roger isn't even scheduled to play in Toronto - he hasn't played there since 2011. So the only way he could pass Rafa is if he won both Cincinnati and the USO.

That said, he could pass Rafa in the Race-to-London rankings - but again, he'd need Rafa to miss the USO and still do extremely well in Cincinnati and at the USO.

Unless Roger does something like sweep the MS events or win USO it will still be tough to be #2 after USO. But if he has a good indoor season he might take it and move Rafa out of his favorite spot.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

nehmeth said:
the AntiPusher said:

That's nothing to being a No1e fan... he'll have you in the E.R. for a coronary and then up in the mental health unit several times - in one match! :nono

You guys whine too much ;) Those chaps combined haven't had anywhere near the amount of gut punching close losses at the end of slams.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed said:
nehmeth said:
the AntiPusher said:

You guys whine too much ;) Those chaps combined haven't had anywhere near the amount of gut punching close losses at the end of slams.

:puzzled True.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:
^ Thought I read somewhere yesterday that he is scheduled to play Toronto. It isn't the worst thing if he skips it though, I wouldn't mind the extra rest for him to gear up for New York.

It is the worst thing since I have semi final day tickets and I expect him to be there...:mad:

;)

Murat, not to worry. Folks are spreading rumors. Roger is indeed scheduled
to play in Toronoto this year. True that he did not play there last year (primarily
due to wasting time in Gstaad and Hamburg).

Once again, I must mention that "signing up" to play applies only to ATP 500
and ATP 250 events. For GS events and ATP 1000 events, players do not sign
up. Once they make the cut off, they are in the list of participants. They need
to inform the tournament if they don't play in it. So, only "withdrawals" will be
in the news for mandatory event and "participation" is not a news for mandatory
events.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

isabelle said:

The difference in points is way too much that it is highly improbable even
by end of year, let alone after USO (unless Rafa is out of action for a much longer
period, which is definitely not what I want).

At this time of his career, Fed just needs a GS or two. The ranking does not
matter by itself. The ranking matters only in so far as it helps in getting a GS.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:

;)

Murat, not to worry. Folks are spreading rumors. Roger is indeed scheduled
to play in Toronoto this year. True that he did not play there last year (primarily
due to wasting time in Gstaad and Hamburg).

Once again, I must mention that "signing up" to play applies only to ATP 500
and ATP 250 events. For GS events and ATP 1000 events, players do not sign
up. Once they make the cut off, they are in the list of participants. They need
to inform the tournament if they don't play in it. So, only "withdrawals" will be
in the news for mandatory event and "participation" is not a news for mandatory
events.

Good point, but I'd imagine Roger would have withdrawn by now if he plans to do so. He looked fresh for grass as he didn't play much on clay this year (probably a good thing at this point) and didn't have any long matches until Wimbledon final. I don't think there is much risk of overplaying before USO but if he does really well at both tournaments that could change.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I could see Roger making a march on Cincy, but I don't think it would hamper his USO ambitions in any event.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

I think Rafa's wrist injury, on top of the back injury earlier this year, confirms that he has definitely entered the "plateau" stage of his career. 2013 was his last (very impressive) hurrah, by which I mean he'll certainly win big tournies in the future, but very doubtful that he'll dominate again. His body is finally saying "uncle" (not Toni lol), and there are too many other strong contemporaries (Djokovic, Murray), and future stars (Dimitrov, Nishikori, etc) for him to plow through the field on a regular basis.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

britbox said:
I could see Roger making a march on Cincy, but I don't think it would hamper his USO ambitions in any event.

Yea, Cincy alone. I was more thinking if he went deep at both that might not be great. Cincy is usually a good tournament for him, barring a bad draw or just a shankasaurus day I think he should win it this year.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

It's incredible how quickly a discussion about Rafa being injured switches to being one about Roger's prospects...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
It's incredible how quickly a discussion about Rafa being injured switches to being one about Roger's prospects...

Hey, Roger didn't get to 17 slams without being opportunistic. Shouldn't be a surprise that his fans have similar tendencies.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com

I'd say it's almost impossible for Federer to get to rank 2 after US Open. He could perhaps make it by the end of the year - he's just under 2000 points behind Rafa in the race and if he was to get say QF in Canada and win Cincinnati, there's the gap halved with US Open, Basel, Paris and World Tour Finals still to come which have been particularly happy hunting grounds for him in the past and not so much for Rafa.

F

Fastgrass

that's bad, he missed opportunities defending title outside of clay for first time. Hope he will be 100% for USO.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

That is too bad for Rafa and his fans. Hopefully he recovers quickly. Even without playing these 2 masters I give him chances to win USO if his wrist heals completely.

Roger landed in Toronto today, Tsonga and Simon yesterday, Nole today, F3 posted that he was leaving for Toronto earlier today. Herios and I will hook up again for at least one day again this year! I am so excited about this year's tournament, but I am always excited to see Nole:D

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Billie--I'm curious where you heard about Nole's "minor" neck/back surgery, and when it occurred? Thanks!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

lacatch said:
Billie--I'm curious where you heard about Nole's "minor" neck/back surgery, and when it occurred? Thanks!

The article that I posted in another thread has a date on it, I can't remember but I think it was dated somewhere in May of this year. That is a respectable Serbian media outlet, B92. But that specific article is about his problems from last year in relation to his wrist issues from this year. The Italian doctor said that since 2011 Nole had 2 "robotic" surgeries, whatever that means, maybe laser? (I am not good at translating medical terms) And that Nole, being the professional that he is, asked the doctor to accompany him to North America for the summer hard court season to Montreal, Cincinnati and New York to keep an eye on it. I really don't think it was a big deal, most players deal with all sorts of issues during their careers.

Usually I can't find anything about any sort of an issue with Nole unless it is visible for everybody to see so he can't hide it. Other than that, even Serbian press is in dark and we find things out months afterwards (like in that case). And I even know that he visited his Italian doctor as there were reports about it and there is a video from Rome last year, but he goes there for his annual check up anyway so nobody suspected anything.

I don't think that players like to let others know if they are hampered with some little thing and they will try to hide it as much as possible. I know Nole does, I suspect Murray, Federer, Nadal do as well.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

Gee, sorry everybody I just realized that my previous post is off topic completely....lacatch...if you ever wonder something about Nole, PM me, if I know anything I will let you know:D