Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy, USO

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy

At this time, it appears that Rafa's camp expects him to be ready in time for USO.
See tennis.com article on this issue.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/07/nadal-pulls-out-toronto-cincinnati-questionable-us-open/52293/

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

GameSetAndMath said:
At this time, it appears that Rafa's camp expects him to be ready in time for USO.
See tennis.com article on this issue.

Like he was going to defend those titles and points anyway! :nono :puzzled :angel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

TennisFanatic7 said:
Which wrist was it that Nole injured? Because I find it odd that Rafa and Delpo both picked up wrist injuries in their non-forehand side.

Actually, Del Potro's first wrist injury was to his right, which is his forehand side, 2nd to the left. And Billie posted an article in another thread, which is in Serbian, but a run through google translate says that it was not actually Novak's wrist, but something in his neck/spine, which was repaired via 2 small surgeries. I'm sort of shocked that nothing has come about about that in the English-language press.

Anyway, rotten stinking luck for Rafa. :mad:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Without getting too technical, I am just wondering if these wrist issues are because of the string choices these guys are making. Sure, the new polys and co-polys give you a whole lot of control, spin and durability, but they are not easy on the arms, especially when top guys are hitting like mad and engage in much longer rallies.

Rafa uses Babolat RPM Blast, which is maybe softer than some other co-polys but by no means gives you a soft string bed. And the way he hits, it cannot be easy on the arm...

Delpo uses Luxilon Alu Power, which is a very tough string on the arm and the wrist...and he takes huge cuts.

Roger , on the other hand, uses a hybrid of Wilson natural gut and Luxilon Alu power. And the natural gut is on the mains, which gives him a much softer string bed, even though he played with a less forgiving stick for most of his career. And it is strung under 50lbs, much lower tension than most pros use.

I don't know...I am just thinking out loud. Maybe these really tough strings have a downside in that they are really not wrist friendly .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
herios said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Big shame for Rafa, the tournament and the fans (depending on who you support). This could be a game changer for somebody though.

Murray goes from 9th seed to 8th so he now gets a first round bye and can't face anyone ranked above him until the QFs, with Berdy now a potential opponent in that round instead of Rafa.

With one of the two major roadblocks out of the way, the door may be open for a Raonic or a Dimitrov to nab a big title here.

And the one who will benefit the most is Roger, who will be seeded 2 in both masters. I am sure Darthfed will be very happy;

Doesn't matter where in the draw he is at Cincy. It could help in Canada. Anyways I don't like to see anyone get hurt, even Rafa, unless they deserve it (which he hasn't).

Maybe you didn't mean this, and you say Rafa doesn't deserve it, but when could anyone possibly "deserve" to get hurt? :huh: Even when Isner fell through that glass table he sat on…it was a dumb injury, but he didn't deserve it. Just curious...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Can't think of any cases in tennis offhand but more than a few in the NFL. I'm always glad to see "head hunting" players get hurt.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
^ Can't think of any cases in tennis offhand but more than a few in the NFL. I'm always glad to see "head hunting" players get hurt.

I got ya.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Without getting too technical, I am just wondering if these wrist issues are because of the string choices these guys are making. Sure, the new polys and co-polys give you a whole lot of control, spin and durability, but they are not easy on the arms, especially when top guys are hitting like mad and engage in much longer rallies.

Rafa uses Babolat RPM Blast, which is maybe softer than some other co-polys but by no means gives you a soft string bed. And the way he hits, it cannot be easy on the arm...

Delpo uses Luxilon Alu Power, which is a very tough string on the arm and the wrist...and he takes huge cuts.

Roger , on the other hand, uses a hybrid of Wilson natural gut and Luxilon Alu power. And the natural gut is on the mains, which gives him a much softer string bed, even though he played with a less forgiving stick for most of his career. And it is strung under 50lbs, much lower tension than most pros use.

I don't know...I am just thinking out loud. Maybe these really tough strings have a downside in that they are really not wrist friendly .

Interesting thoughts, and I see you are well versed.

I don't think Luxilon has anything to do with the wrist or arm injuries.

Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, and Michael Chang all had wrist surgeries and were not using Lux at the time.

I think what ever problems are creeping upper unrelated issues.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

Iona16 said:
Talk of a cast is not good news.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/31/sports/tennis/wrist-injury-forces-rafael-nadal-out-of-two-us-open-tuneups.html?referrer=&_r=0&referrer=

Great link. The fact is he CAN still practice and train physically. He can hit every stroke aside from the backhand.

If this is the real deal, he may not play the USO, or wing it.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

If Rafa plays the USO (and his wrist is doing well), I think he makes the final. He should still be able to practice most of his strokes. I think gulf between novak and rafa and the rest of field is pretty sizeable right now.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:

Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, and Michael Chang all had wrist surgeries and were not using Lux at the time.

Nothing against you bro...just an observation...;)

I know tennis is hard on the wrist and arms regardless, but the new strings are definitely not helping.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:

Nothing against you bro...just an observation...;)
Haha..got it. :snigger

As I said, solid observations but I think it has more to do with the nature of the pace of shot and racket stiffness.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions

:(

Get better soon, Nadal. It sucks he won't be fully prepped heading into the USO.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
Even when Isner fell through that glass table he sat on…it was a dumb injury, but he didn't deserve it. Just curious...

That was Sam Querrey not Isner

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Rafa has been photographed practising with a strange cast. Here's the official notice:

“Rafa won’t be able to compete and defend his titles in Canada and Cincinnati. The player felt some pain during practice in Mallorca. After some tests the doctors found a minor detachment of the posterior cubital tunnel of his right wrist.

“The cubital tunnel houses the ulnar nerve, which runs from the elbow to the fingers and is colloquially known as the ‘funny bone’.

“The player must remain for two or three weeks with an immobilisation cast on his right wrist. Depending on the evolution of the injury … it will be decided when to return to competition.”

Anybody know anything about this type of injury?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

1972Murat said:

When I first heard about the injury late last night, I couldn't help but wonder if there was a reason for (what seems like) so many wrist related injuries. Thank you for this Murat. I noticed in Luxilon Borg's list of players with wrist injuries - that Connors, Chang, and Agassi were predominantly baseline grinders. Becker is the only exception and his seems to have been the result of a mishit.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19960628&id=CS4iAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3qYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1053,7199331

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

If Manacor's bull continues to help him, Youngderer will be N°2 after USO !!!!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

isabelle said:

That isn't necessarily true and only possible if A) Rafa misses the USO and B) Roger does extremely well at all three tournaments.

Points with the Canada, Cincinnati, and USO taken off:
Rafa 8670
Roger 5710

Also, Roger isn't even scheduled to play in Toronto - he hasn't played there since 2011. So the only way he could pass Rafa is if he won both Cincinnati and the USO.

That said, he could pass Rafa in the Race-to-London rankings - but again, he'd need Rafa to miss the USO and still do extremely well in Cincinnati and at the USO.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Thought I read somewhere yesterday that he is scheduled to play Toronto. It isn't the worst thing if he skips it though, I wouldn't mind the extra rest for him to gear up for New York.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

El Dude said:
isabelle said:

That isn't necessarily true and only possible if A) Rafa misses the USO and B) Roger does extremely well at all three tournaments.

Points with the Canada, Cincinnati, and USO taken off:
Rafa 8670
Roger 5710

Also, Roger isn't even scheduled to play in Toronto - he hasn't played there since 2011. So the only way he could pass Rafa is if he won both Cincinnati and the USO.

That said, he could pass Rafa in the Race-to-London rankings - but again, he'd need Rafa to miss the USO and still do extremely well in Cincinnati and at the USO.

Fed doing well at Cincy and the USO isn't exactly unheard off - with or without Rafa... yeah, he may move a slot in the rankings but I doubt that's particularly important at this stage of his career.