BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Strange H2H , AP will probably kill me for posting tMssbhat, Alcaraz to win, he has got more on the line at IW, and if he can win the title, will be the No 1 player, though he has to keep his points in Miami, of course no pressure :)
It's all good Miss Margaret, Alcaraz had a strategy to neutralize Felix's serve and groundstrokes tonight. The better player won.. Congratulations to the younger Spaniard..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He showed plenty if fire in the belly against Tommy Paul saved 6 MPs, every opponent is a different match up,
But that's what I'm saying about closing. You can look good against the undercards, but you have to seal the deal at the business end of the tournament. It took Felix 8 finals, I think, to win a tournament. It's a worrying indication his ambition.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nah, it wasn't his belly , Carlos made the game of tennis uncomfortable for Felix tonight.
Definitely the better player won tonight, but that was a general-purposes complaint about Felix, based on El Dude's post above.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Definitely the better player won tonight, but that was a general-purposes complaint about Felix, based on El Dude's post above.
No El Dude tennis IQ is spawn by analyzing data..FAA NEVER had his serve broken vs Alcaraz until tonight and had preciously been able to push the Spaniard around the court. Today The Spaniard bosses the Canadian flame thrower. IMO

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No El Dude tennis IQ is spawn by analyzing data..FAA NEVER had his serve broken vs Alcaraz until tonight and had preciously been able to push the Spaniard around the court. Today The Spaniard bosses the Canadian flame thrower. IMO
Oh, he's not just all stats, but I do think his take on Alcaraz is totally wrong. People hear a player is Spanish, and go for an instant cliche. People tried to put Rafa in that box for years...and some still do. I remember how long it took folks around here to realize that Feliciano Lopez basically ISN'T a clay-courter, that he was great on grass, and that he has/had an amazing serve.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, he's not just all stats, but I do think his take on Alcaraz is totally wrong. People hear a player is Spanish, and go for an instant cliche. People tried to put Rafa in that box for years...and some still do. I remember how long it took folks around here to realize that Feliciano Lopez basically ISN'T a clay-courter, that he was great on grass, and that he has/had an amazing serve.
Another Spanish player is Bautista Agut, who has had better success on a HC as well, agree with your thoughts just because they are from Spain they think their best surface is clay

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to Alcaraz! :clap:

alcaraz.gif

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sinner is playing great tennis.He is the one to beat,and it was not easy to beat Fritz.Taylor really wanted to win...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner is playing great tennis.He is the one to beat,and it was not easy to beat Fritz.Taylor really wanted to win...
I think it’s great that there’s an American in the semis, and good to see that it’s Tiafoe. I thought he was going to suffer the fate of many one hit wonders after flushing meadows, but he’s doing great here too!

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
What is my take on Alcaraz, Moxie? That he is, or could be, the mid-point between Rafa and Ferrer (aka, Agassi)...in terms of level. I'm not comparing the specifics of their games, but their overall performance level. What is wrong about that? It is purely speculative, at this point. I know you like to tell me how I'm wrong, though - just don't use a strawman to do so ;-)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Italian over Fritz was a surprise to me, not that he is incapable--I just did not expect it on that court. I knew the young Spanish torito would do away with the young Canadian and he did not disappoint. Iga has a big challenge in the semis against her recent nemesis who beat her in straights in Melbourne.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay, 2 out of 2 last night for me. Both Alcaraz and Sinner won. Now I have Sinner over Alcaraz. I've put Sinner because I had suspicion on Alcaraz, how healthy he was coming into IW and Sinner is capable of beating him. Sinner seemed like a safer bet. I hope he does a small revenge for that painful loss in USO last year, but currently I feel Alcaraz is a slight favourite here. Should be a fun match.

As for Medvedev Tiafoe, Francis seems like an easy customer for Meddy and russian is more of a favourite than Alcaraz is against Sinner, but let's see which Meddy persona shows up today, grumpy or dialed in. Crowd will be against him and we know he doesn't like that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it’s great that there’s an American in the semis, and good to see that it’s Tiafoe. I thought he was going to suffer the fate of many one hit wonders after flushing meadows, but he’s doing great here too!
I still cant understand for the life of me how Rafa lost to Frances at USO 2022.. I may NEVER get over that one.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I still cant understand for the life of me how Rafa lost to Frances at USO 2022.. I may NEVER get over that one.

It was such an anomaly that it's almost never brought up! What I do see here & elsewhere are 7 losses by Novak listed & commented on even though a few matches were truly glorified exxhibitions at Laver Cup & Dubai! Like you, Tiafoe match shook up a lot of folks, but rarely brought up! ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher