BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched the last few games and I must say, having not watched Sinner in quite a while, he looked a lot stronger, with better shots. Still, I worry about his endurance - he seems a bit delicate.

But you really could see the talent level difference. Sinner belongs in the same group of Medvedev, Tsitsipas, and Zverev, while Fritz is more in the Rublev, Ruud, Hurkacz, etc, group.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, who you got in the next one? FAA leads the H2H 3-0. I'll still take Alcaraz.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, who you got in the next one? FAA leads the H2H 3-0. I'll still take Alcaraz.
Strange H2H , AP will probably kill me for posting that, Alcaraz to win, he has got more on the line at IW, and if he can win the title, will be the No 1 player, though he has to keep his points in Miami, of course no pressure :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched the last few games and I must say, having not watched Sinner in quite a while, he looked a lot stronger, with better shots. Still, I worry about his endurance - he seems a bit delicate.

But you really could see the talent level difference. Sinner belongs in the same group of Medvedev, Tsitsipas, and Zverev, while Fritz is more in the Rublev, Ruud, Hurkacz, etc, group.
Sinner has improved in a lot of areas. I'm not sure why you think he seems "delicate?" He's got a very sturdy head, and he's been growing into his body, which I think could account for some injury.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Strange H2H , AP will probably kill me for posting that, Alcaraz to win, he has got more on the line at IW, and if he can win the title, will be the No 1 player, though he has to keep his points in Miami, of course no pressure :)
I didn't realize that Carlos could retake the #1 by winning this. It probably does add some pressure, even if Juan Carlos will be good at keeping him focused and grounded. He doesn't have to worry about the #1 at this point of his career.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't realize that Carlos could retake the #1 by winning this. It probably does add some pressure, even if Juan Carlos will be good at keeping him focused and grounded. He doesn't have to worry about the #1 at this point of his career.
Agree he dose not have to worrry of being No 1 at this point in time,, , though he is a mature young man at age 19, he could not get a better coach than JCF, to me they share a 'special bond' already

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One point I would like to make about the court's surface at IW, I know Meddy has complained about it at every match, how slow it is, like clay
Sinner's game he has been able to 'hit through the court' with no trouble!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fantastic rally! And Charlie is right there at the net for the finish.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Four break points squandered?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Some high quality tennis from these two. FAA's problem seems to be, as is often the case, he's just more prone to error. His game still seems a bit sloppy, and he has less margin for error than Carlos. I am a bit reminded of a young Roger or Novak, both of whom took a bit longer to reach peak form than, say, Rafa.

As for Carlos, he kind of reminds me of the halfway point between Rafa and Ferrer. I don't think he'll every be quite as good as Rafa at his best, but his baseline, or "B game," should be something like peak Ferrer (his "A game"). Actually, I'm a bit reminded of Agassi - not necessarily the fine-points of his game, but just the overall level.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some high quality tennis from these two. FAA's problem seems to be, as is often the case, he's just more prone to error. His game still seems a bit sloppy, and he has less margin for error than Carlos. I am a bit reminded of a young Roger or Novak, both of whom took a bit longer to reach peak form than, say, Rafa.
I find this post really surprisingly partisan from you, and pretty wrong. I know you've been long-invested in Felix, but to say he's just more "prone to error?" What does that mean? He doesn't really hit that much flatter than Alcaraz, most of the time. Also, to compare him to Roger and Novak, for later to reach peak than Rafa, those are big shoes. Let's just say they were far more on track than Felix is. Isn't it possible that Felix IS about at his peak? Felix is not a great closer at the late stages of tournaments.
As for Carlos, he kind of reminds me of the halfway point between Rafa and Ferrer. I don't think he'll every be quite as good as Rafa at his best, but his baseline, or "B game," should be something like peak Ferrer (his "A game"). Actually, I'm a bit reminded of Agassi - not necessarily the fine-points of his game, but just the overall level.
This is the part I find really astonishing. Alcaraz as "the halfway point between Rafa and Ferrer?" I don't even see where Ferrer comes in. Alcaraz, IMO, has a lot of the best of Rafa, Roger and Novak. He's a very complete package. He defends great, but he's also very offensively-minded. He has a pretty great serve, a top-drawer drop shot and he wins a lot at the net. Forgive me if I'm reading you wrong, but you seem to be identifying Alcaraz as a very defensive player, which he is not. I'm really confused by how you define his game, I have to be honest.

I am as disappointed as anyone that Felix has yet to become the player we're hoping he can be. And I'm still hoping for the best. But I'm surprised at how you under-rate Alcaraz, in comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I find this post really surprisingly partisan from you, and pretty wrong. I know you've been long-invested in Felix, but to say he's just more "prone to error?" What does that mean? He doesn't really hit that much flatter than Alcaraz, most of the time. Also, to compare him to Roger and Novak, for later to reach peak than Rafa, those are big shoes. Let's just say they were far more on track than Felix is. Isn't it possible that Felix IS about at his peak? Felix is not a great closer at the late stages of tournaments.

This is the part I find really astonishing. Alcaraz as "the halfway point between Rafa and Ferrer?" I don't even see where Ferrer comes in. Alcaraz, IMO, has a lot of the best of Rafa, Roger and Novak. He's a very complete package. He defends great, but he's also very offensively-minded. He has a pretty great serve, a top-drawer drop shot and he wins a lot at the net. Forgive me if I'm reading you wrong, but you seem to be identifying Alcaraz as a very defensive player, which he is not. I'm really confused by how you define his game, I have to be honest.

I am as disappointed as anyone that Felix has yet the become the player we're hoping he can be. And I'm still hoping for the best. But I'm surprised at how you under-rate Alcaraz, in comparison.
They say about the great champs thats it’s almost like they HATE to lose even more than they love to win.

I never ever get that vibe from Felix.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Courier mentioned that FAA has no kick serve, making his serve more predictable and attackable. Says he needs to work on that. Makes sense.
Charlie has a good kick serve and when down he goes to it and wins the point, especially on this surface, kick serve works well

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They say about the great champs thats its almost like they HATE to lose even more than they love to win.

I never evet get that vibe from Felix.
I don't know what is missing for Felix, but, yeah, maybe fire in the belly.