BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I missed any talk about Zverev-Medvedev, but despite the loss, it seems like a good sign for Zverev: he's trending in the right direction, almost beating arguably the best non-Big Three player on tour.

Also, Tiafoe seems ripe for a Masters title this year. It will be interesting if he gets one before Rublev, who only seems able to "master" ATP 500s.
It will be interesting to see how Meddy and his ankle fare later on, he was going to have a MRI yesterday after his match, I have not heard any more, he had it taped and said it was sore

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Foki won the toss and chose to receive, that did not work out well from him, broken, Meddy and consolidates 3-0
I had a computer malfunction, back on line finally
Medvedev d Foki 63 75
Meddy said warming up his ankle hurt, though he managed it during the match, I would imagine he was on some type of pain killers
Meddy did say in his press, he did take a pain killer and ankle felt better as the match progressed
Meddy will face Tiafoe in the SFs, first time Meddy has made the SFs in IW

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
4059472F-77E2-4FAF-99B3-A5E2C75F75FC.jpeg

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will just a quick comment here: HUGE match for Jannik Sinner against Taylor Fritz today. If Sinner wants to be world number 1 someday (one of his goals), then this is the type of the match that he should able to win, no excuses! Yes, I understand that Fritz is playing well and he is playing under home soil, but Fritz is no Nadal/Djokovic, Alcaraz or Medvedev. If Sinner plays at his best, he should able to beat Fritz.

The reason I am saying this is because I think that Sinner can be like Medvedev: Potentially winning multiple slams, become no. 1 player, win a lot of ATP Titles, he is REALLY good at tennis plus he is a mentally tough player. The only reason he might not able to reach those goals is because of his injuries and/or he will not be athletic enough to become a great player.

So he needs to start reaching SF/F or even win some of these M1000, 500 tournaments or he will be like another Rublev, imo.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I will just a quick comment here: HUGE match for Jannik Sinner against Taylor Fritz today. If Sinner wants to be world number 1 someday (one of his goals), then this is the type of the match that he should able to win, no excuses! Yes, I understand that Fritz is playing well and he is playing under home soil, but Fritz is no Nadal/Djokovic, Alcaraz or Medvedev. If Sinner plays at his best, he should able to beat Fritz.

The reason I am saying this is because I think that Sinner can be like Medvedev: Potentially winning multiple slams, become no. 1 player, win a lot of ATP Titles, he is REALLY good at tennis plus he is a mentally tough player. The only reason he might not able to reach those goals is because of his injuries and/or he will not be athletic enough to become a great player.

So he needs to start reaching SF/F or even win some of these M1000, 500 tournaments or he will be like another Rublev, imo.

I checked their head-to-head. They’ve only played once: here, two years ago. Fritz won in straights. Do you think Sinner will win this year?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I checked their head-to-head. They’ve only played once: here, two years ago. Fritz won in straights. Do you think Sinner will win this year?
Personally, I do not think so because an Alcaraz/Medvedev path might be too much for Sinner.

However, he needs to win against Fritz and if he can somehow beat Alcaraz and reach the IW, that's HUGE step forward for Sinner. I definitely think Darren Cahill and his team are telling Sinner everyday about this opportunity. You want to be the best, you have to go through the best!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Personally, I do not think so because an Alcaraz/Medvedev path might be too much for Sinner.

However, he needs to win against Fritz and if he can somehow beat Alcaraz and reach the IW, that's HUGE step forward for Sinner. I definitely think Darren Cahill and his team are telling Sinner everyday about this opportunity. You want to be the best, you have to go through the best!
Good to see you again, I feel Sinner can win this match up, even though the last time they met Frtiz won, I too feel if Sinner is playing his best, he can defeat Fritz, I have been liking what I have seen from Sinner so far in this tournament.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have Sinner to win against Fritz. I think he has a lot to prove here and it is a big match for him, I hope he is going to deliver and we see another Sinner Alcaraz clash (prefer him over FAA), their matches are interesting.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have Sinner to win against Fritz. I think he has a lot to prove here and it is a big match for him, I hope he is going to deliver and we see another Sinner Alcaraz clash (prefer him over FAA), their matches are interesting.
I like your positivity for Sinner, agree Sinner v Alcaraz matches have proved to be interesting, though I still cant forget that MP Sinner had in the SF at the USO, nightmare stuff for me, though hopefully that is a 'learning curve' going forward, he is in good hands with Cahill as his coach.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Good to see you around! I think you make a good point about Sinner and his opportunity here. He has great potential, and with no Novak, no Rafa, he (and others) have a chance to take another step up. As to your Rublev comparison...I hope not! He has better weapons and a much better head.

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I knew it was crowded last Saturday, took forever to get in….

“Saturday set a single-day record with more than 61,000 total fans on site and overall attendance is so far tracking with the tournament's record 2019 levels, organizers told Reuters on Sunday.”

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Early break to the Italian!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner is playing to his plan, and Taylor looks far less than dialed in.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fritz has to get Sinner moving off the baseline for starters, though I hope he doesnt take my advice:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First set Sinner. I think he got your memo, @rafanoy1992! Seems to be VERY motivated by the opportunity.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner has filled out a bit, but is he also taller? He looks taller to me.