ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
At that point, wouldn’t everybody be able to play on PC, since the four matches would be played over two days?

All the SFs and Fs will be on PC.

It is feasible to schedule all the QFs also on PC. But, they don't schedule it that way. The tournament schedule dictates that one Men's QF and One Women's QF in PC and similarly so in SL. That way, they get more revenue in ticket sales.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did anyone see the early portions of the match between JMDP and Nishioka. I caught only the last portion of that match and did not see anything unusual. But, according to tennis.com article, JMDP called trainer multiple times and played that match with lot of pain on knees. It also said that he was not even moving to get to some of the balls. Does anyone know how serious are JMDP's knee issues. I was banking on him to get rid of Nole. But, if he has knee issues he is not even going to beat Thiem definitely.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Did anyone see the early portions of the match between JMDP and Nishioka. I caught only the last portion of that match and did not see anything unusual. But, according to tennis.com article, JMDP called trainer multiple times and played that match with lot of pain on knees. It also said that he was not even moving to get to some of the balls. Does anyone know how serious are JMDP's knee issues. I was banking on him to get rid of Nole. But, if he has knee issues he is not even going to beat Thiem definitely.

He was already ailing from his previous match! I don't think Nole has much to worry about from Del PO for that reason! :whistle: :nono: :eek: :rolleyes:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Assuming Fedal win their respective quarterfinals, they will get two days rest before Fedal XXXIX.

Even though both get the same amount of rest, it will be advantage Roger, as Roger would need that rest while Rafa would not.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Assuming Fedal win their respective quarterfinals, they will get two days rest before Fedal XXXIX.

Even though both get the same amount of rest, it will be advantage Roger, as Roger would need that rest while Rafa would not.
I don't think so. Even in his prime, Roger was never as fit as Rafa, and now he is almost 38.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Time to check with bookies again as R16 is set.

1. Ralph 4/5 (55.55%)
2. Novak 3 (25%)
3. Thiem 11 (8.33%)

4. Perseus 22 (4.35%)
5. Fed 25 (3.85%)
6. Man 33 (2.94%)

7. Sasha 40 (2.44%)

8. JMDP 66 (1.49%)
9. Clown 80 (1.23%)
10. Fog 100 (1%)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think so. Even in his prime, Roger was never as fit as Rafa, and now he is almost 38.

No, you misunderstood my statement of "advantage". Ralph will be heavy favorite when they meet even if there is a one month rest before that. Having said that, it is better for Federer to have two days break before that match than to have just one day break. So, in comparison to the other alternative, it is "advantage Federer". In terms of absolutes, we all know how this match up plays especially on dirt.

Fed has never played Ralph on clay with his revamped drive backhand and so, I am interested to see whether it changes the dynamics, perhaps slightly at least.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Time to check with bookies again as R16 is set.

1. Ralph 4/5 (55.55%)
2. Novak 3 (25%)
3. Thiem 11 (8.33%)

4. Perseus 22 (4.35%)
5. Fed 25 (3.85%)
6. Man 33 (2.94%)
7. Sasha 40 (2.44%)

8. JMDP 66 (1.49%)
9. Clown 80 (1.23%)
10. Fog 100 (1%)

Who comes up with these numbers? Are they statisticians? Is this just a math problem to them? Or do they actually know tennis?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He had a tricky fall/slip during that match. He looked pretty lame on the leg during a lot of it. I was surprised that he got through so well today, but that could help him. Given his history of injury, and how recent he is back to the tour, I'm not convinced he's going to get to Novak, much less beat him. I didn't see his match today, but the scoreline seems to indicate that he's feeling at least mostly OK with the knee. JMDP has a really rough draw, however. I think you have to hang your hat on Thiem to take out Novak.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Who comes up with these numbers? Are they statisticians? Is this just a math problem to them? Or do they actually know tennis?

These people are professionals. They use a lot of statistics. However, it should be taken with a grain of salt as their primary motivation is not really to predict who will win the RG. Their primary motivation is to ensure that no matter what happens, the house does not lose money and comes up with a good profit almost always. As a result, these odds are dependent not just on the tennis skills and match ups of the remaining players. They also depend on how much money has been bet on different players.

For example, Fog currently has odds of 100 (a 1% chance). If a lot of people put their money on Fog, they will immediately bring down the odds for Fog winning. When they reduce the odds for Fog, it does not exactly mean that they think Fog's chances of winning has improved suddenly. The issue is that in the outside chance that Fog wins, they don't want to end up paying off so many bettors 100 times the money they wagered.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
All top 10 players are in R16; just the third time it has happened in a GS since the beginning of Open Era. :good:

There are 15 matches left on the Men's side. Except possibly for the three R16 matches featuring the
Big Three versus unseeded opponents, all the remaining matches are popcorn matches.

It is no longer cost effective to buy pop-corn from the stores. So Folks, manufacture your own popcorn at home. :cool:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
All top 10 players are in R16; just the third time it has happened in a GS since the beginning of Open Era. :good:

There are 15 matches left on the Men's side. Except possibly for the three R16 matches featuring the
Big Three versus unseeded opponents, all the remaining matches are popcorn matches.

It is no longer cost effective to buy pop-corn from the stores. So Folks, manufacture your own popcorn at home. :cool:

In the women's game, it was common for all the top seeds to make it thru to the quarters; even if on grass at Wimbledon! Upsets just didn't happen much back in the early days with stars like Court, Goolagong, Wade, King, Navratilova, & Evert! Many times, draws would be like a house of cards, quite orderly going down to the favorite and #1 seed winning the event! For the men, the #1 seed can go years without winning a specific major! There are only 8 men with CGS, but women have over 10 I'm sure without even dominating the tour at any point! Now the women have been more competitive of late while the men have stagnated allowing Fedalovic to own the tour like no other "Big 3" in the history of the game! I keep typing the same rant because I just can't believe "it continues" year after year going on for over a decade now! The "Next Gen" has made an impression, but in small doses! None have won a major yet; usually lucky to make 1 final! I'm feeling lucky; Fedal's gonna fall this time around! We got to have that Earth shattering upset where Djokovic will end up playing some schlub in the final like Paire or Mayer! I can dream can't I? :whistle: :yesyes: :facepalm: :help: :rolleyes:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The guy who I am watching closely and is on the verge to break into the top 10 is KK. Karen could clinch a top 10 ranking if he defeats Delpo. That would also be his first quarter in a slam.
Almost every bracket I open in different groups have Delpo reaching quarters including me, but after KK actually made it to R16 I think he has some chance to reach QF too. He hasn't beaten Delpo just yet, 3:0 h2h.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Almost every bracket I open in different groups have Delpo reaching quarters including me, but after KK actually made it to R16 I think he has some chance to reach QF too. He hasn't beaten Delpo just yet, 3:0 h2h.

But isn't DP one of the "walking wounded?" I seem to remember him injuring something in a leg 2 matches ago! Luck today's str. set! :boxing:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas-Wawrinka should be a thrilling match and I hope it doesn't disappoint. Wawrinka again against a guy with one handed backhand, should be a beauty to watch. Both of them are mentally strong and they play for the first time.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But isn't DP one of the "walking wounded?" I seem to remember him injuring something in a leg 2 matches ago! Luck today's str. set! :boxing:
I've seen Moxie wrote about it. Delpo also has a habit of hardly walking between the points and then during the points is a different story

Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I've seen Moxie wrote about it. Delpo also has a habit of hardly walking between the points and then during the points is a different story

Yup, Murray was the same and Isner does it too. Very annoying. Sloth like movement and panting with all 3 like coyote with his tongue sticking out chasing roadrunner.

Reactions: don_fabio

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Assuming Fed beats Perseus is assuming a lot. I'd have the Greek as clear favorite in BO5 on clay. At AO the court wasn't as fast as prior years and Perseus had too much time to line up his shots, that would only be a bigger factor here. If Fed gets Stan it'd be fairly even since Stan would obviously come into the match in form. Of course this also assumes Roger wins today. Mayer is no world beater of course but still better than anyone Roger faced in the first 3 rounds.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mayer g has never beaten a top 15 player in a slam. He is toasted.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Both Stan and Roger are old in tennis years and both have surgically repaired knees. Hard to predict that one if that's the match that follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.