ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Glad to see Fognini through. No fan of Zverev but good for him I guess.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
great for the Fog , hope Juanito can win too, very hot today in Paris

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Barry White (Kader Nouni) is chairing the Wawa/Dimi match :good:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Dimi had 4 SP's (6-2) in the TB and lost. Stan just turned it on. With this win he gets back to #20 ranking.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Struff - Coric lives up to the expectations
Just watching Coric - Smurf. Crowd is wild and they seem to back the german more. Born wasted a break up in the 5th. Hope he can still push through, now Borna serving to stay in the match.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
oh no, Borna made a break. Now servwd for the match and didn't win a point.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Absolutely disgusting from Coric to give that break right back! Ridiculous. Pathetic. Just such a frustrating player. Obviously the better player. Struff having his late career surge. Finally playing well. But Coric just giving in to mental mistakes. Just cannot get his head right.

AND OH MY GAWD!!! Why would you let that go?!!!! Obviously just choking. Just effing choking. Completely ridiculous.

Reactions: Fiero425

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I tuned in to see how Antoine Hoang plays. I lost track of how many French players are coming up the rankings.
They will replace Spain in tennis with the deepest field in Men's.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Absolutely disgusting from Coric to give that break right back! Ridiculous. Pathetic. Just such a frustrating player. Obviously the better player. Struff having his late career surge. Finally playing well. But Coric just giving in to mental mistakes. Just cannot get his head right.

AND OH MY GAWD!!! Why would you let that go?!!!! Obviously just choking. Just effing choking. Completely ridiculous.
I am here going crazy at the moment because of what's going on. Now Coric saved 0:30 on his serve.

Reactions: tenisplayrla08

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
10:9 Struff, I feel like Borna will crack soon.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Struff has had a decent clay court swing this year and no one will fancy playing him at Wimbledon where he should be very dangerous. One of the best volleyers on tour and a big serve. Moves quite well for a tall guy too.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Coric clearly just feeling all of the nerves. Can't buy a first serve. 1 double fault. But then 3 straight points. First two off second serves. 3rd one he finally finds a first serve. But misses the first again the next point. And deuce. Tried to bring Struff in again and this time Struff was ready for it. Another double fault. And that's match point. Coric doesn't do enough with the volley and Coric fails to make the 4th round yet again.

Pathetic. Completely pathetic. I should give Struff all the credit. He stayed in it. Kept fighting. Kept believing. He had the advantage of no pressure though. Playing the underdog.
Coric pulled a Fed and couldn't convert all the break points he created. But Struff gets credit for making aces and good first serves on a lot of his break points. Struff's dream year continues. He adds this Coric upset to his upset of Zverev and Tsitsipas. Just letting these young guys know, I've been here. I know I'm not great. I've struggled. And you may be able to beat the Big 3 but I can still beat you. Taking advantage of their growing pains. And his size.

So annoying. Ridiculous. I need Coric to get his s*&# together and pass guys like Zverev and Tsitsipas and he just keeps letting it slip away. I'll give him a slight pass because clay is not his forte. Grass is where he rocks it. Has to defend his title in Halle. But lost in the first round of Wimbledon after winning that last year so he can add points there. That'll have to be his saving grace because his clay season has just been disappointing. Just hasn't been able to get it done at the slams. But of course, it probably wouldn't have mattered because Djokovic is the next man up. So he was probably gonna lose that anyways. I'd actually think Struff will be able to play a bit more freely against Djokovic. Because he'll be such a huge underdog and has been playing that role well all year. He can just fight and fight and fight. But. Djokovic will still prevail. Struff just doesn't have the goods. And Djokovic is a better returner than Coric. And doesn't have the mental blocks.

Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coric definitely shouldn't let this one slip away.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Struff has had a decent clay court swing this year and no one will fancy playing him at Wimbledon where he should be very dangerous. One of the best volleyers on tour and a big serve. Moves quite well for a tall guy too.

His new found confidence may be able to help him play better and maybe that was all it was until now. But... he's literally never won a match in Halle even though he's played it every year since 2009 except for 2011. Never won a MATCH. Got to the third round of Wimbledon last year. Lost to Fed in straights. But that was after two hard fought five setters over Karlovic and Leonardo Mayer. 3 tiebreaks in both of those matches and he beat Karlovic 13-11 in the fifth. NOW we know why he was more ready today than Coric. He's got that Karlovic match in the mental bank. There's always signs if you look hard enough. But before last year, he'd won precisely one match at Wimbledon against Blaz Kavcic in 2013 before falling to Chardy in 4 in the second round. He qualified that year. So won three matches in that. But hasn't had to qualify any other year and just loses in the first round.

Anyways. I wouldn't expect much from him at Wimbledon. He'll add 135 points here. Unless Djokovic breaks his ankle and Struff goes through. Actually. I'm pretty sure Djokovic would have to break his entire leg to lose that match. And while he should get into the top 40 with those points. He'll need another big showing somewhere to get seeded for Wimbledon. So you're right that he'll be dangerous for some folks in the first round. But there's a good chance he meets someone he can't beat on grass in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.