ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well Djere found a level he could beat Kei with. Just couldn't sustain it. Held on to push it to 6-all. But Kei just the more consistent player after going down love-3. Djere basically didn't miss on his way up to 3-love. He started missing again and Kei pulled it out. Tough loss for either guy. Glad Kei came out on top. Great clay season from Djere. Found some really nice form on the clay this year. Played really well today. Took advantage of Kei's serve. But still not consistent enough to challenge these top guys day in and day out. Thank God.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Very nice overhead from the back of the court for Goffin to take the game. Very flat. Just barely over the net. Angled out like a wide serve on the ad side. Had to be that good. Nadal's shot landed in the corner of Goffin's ad side. Fantastic shot.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Now because I am pissed, I will root for Paire next round against Kei.

Reactions: tented

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now because I am pissed, I will root for Paire next round against Kei.
I have to back Paire because I chose him to reach QF. French never get pass the R4 on any slam. I hope it is a good time to achieve that now, Nishikori is vulnerable.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Unfortunately I was only able to begin watching today a little bit ago. When I turned on the TV, Roger was at 6-6 in the tiebreak, but it was great to see him win. I think he’ll comfortably get to the QF, then things could get tricky with Tsitsipas or maybe Wawrinka. Anyway, believe it or not, all of you Fedfans, I’m rooting for Roger, as my No. 2 choice to win, after Rafa.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have to back Paire because I chose him to reach QF. French never get pass the R4 on any slam. I hope it is a good time to achieve that now, Nishikori is vulnerable.
I am not sure what are you mentioning, French be get past R4?
Paire was not, but Pouille, Monfils, Tsonga , Gasquet, Simon all were.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not sure what are you mentioning, French be get past R4?
Paire was not, but Pouille, Monfils, Tsonga , Gasquet, Simon all were.
I meant him only. Not the rest.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nishikori met Paire twice at RG, both times won. In 2013 in 4 sets and last year in 5.
Time to change that pattern :)

Reactions: don_fabio

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Tennis.com telling us Federer now the oldest man to reach the 4th round of a slam since Connors in 1991. They've been sittin on that one. I didn't know it was coming up. But obviously it was gonna happen. Roger may not play more than another year or two. But he could probably play until 40 or so and still make the quarters at Wimbledon.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Nishikori met Paire twice at RG, both times won. In 2013 in 4 sets and last year in 5.

Agreed. But Paire will need to beat him in 4 sets or less. Kei’s record of winning deciding-set matches is better than any other active players’.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Tennis.com telling us Federer now the oldest man to reach the 4th round of a slam since Connors in 1991. They've been sittin on that one. I didn't know it was coming up. But obviously it was gonna happen. Roger may not play more than another year or two. But he could probably play until 40 or so and still make the quarters at Wimbledon.

Federer finally hitting the point where he’s breaking some of Connors long standing records. I hope he breaks the titles record, too, even if it takes playing a handful of 250s. I already consider Roger’s set of titles to be greater than Conner’s considering the quality of the titles vs. Connor’s list, which contains a lot of lesser events.

Reactions: ftan

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Agreed. But Paire will need to beat him in 4 sets or less. Kei’s record of winning deciding-set matches is better than any other active players’.
I know that. Puzzles me how he does it.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know how they say, third time's a charm

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I love to see Goffin do well. Good set from him. Took advantage of a dip from Rafa probably. But good set nonetheless. Good to see him show that he's finding his form again.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Goodness me Rafa you took your foot off the peddle? reset and get this match over,should have won in 3 sets.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer finally hitting the point where he’s breaking some of Connors long standing records. I hope he breaks the titles record, too, even if it takes playing a handful of 250s. I already consider Roger’s set of titles to be greater than Conner’s considering the quality of the titles vs. Connor’s list, which contains a lot of lesser events.

Yeah. I already consider it greater than Connor's as well. But. having that 108th would still go a long way to just quieting anyone that tries to use that argument against him. Also. He's still playing well enough that he's close enough, if he doesn't go for it, I'd be a little disappointed. Unless he like, won Wimbledon and the US Open this year and then retired.

But of course. If these younger guys can't step up and put Djokovic and Nadal to bed, then in 5 years we may be talking about one or both of them having already surpassed Fed's greatness and pushing for Connors' record or Fed's new record if he should pass Connors.

EDIT: Hmmmmm. Why did I think Connors was at 107. Wikipedia says 109. Are a couple disputed? As if they count or not?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I see McFly won a set. This means, Ralph is still vulnerable. :bat:

While Ralph will straighten the ship this time, there is definitely hope that he may fall to someone else.

Reactions: Fiero425
Status
Not open for further replies.