ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^tought he is done. I switched over to Paire. He had a BP to get back in the 5th

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Through the years, Grigor got praised how skilled he is and has all the shots. I just realized that is not true. His second serve is a huge liability.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Through the years, Grigor got praised how skilled he is and has all the shots. I just realized that is not true. His second serve is a huge liability.

That ugly shirt he is wearing is also a 'huge liability'.......

Reactions: herios

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Grisha gets it. All the Bulgarians who live in Paris might have been in the stadium.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paire-Herbert match is great too. Herbert breaks again. So many twists and turns here since the 3rd set. Krajinovic played similar match, got all in control until the end of 3rd. Same with Paire, but he doesn't look like he will win this one.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic let me down so many times that I lost interest in cheering for him. When I watch his matches I am just, how you call it, indiferrent. With Borna on another hand I like him much more and feel for him. He is much tougher mentally in my opinion, just needs to prove himself more.

Reactions: tented

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I swear every time I think I can be happy for Paire... And, by that I don't mean excited. I don't mean that I suddenly think he can go deep. We're past that. Just happy for the guy. To make the third round. Like say... when he's up 5-3 in the fourth set and gets to serve for it, he EFFFFFFSS it up!!!!!!!! Dude is way too talented to be this annoyingly, stubbornly bad. Just makes dumb choices. Time and time again. Sets up a point nicely, flubs the easy put away. Gets broken. Breaks right back. Only to be broken right back again.

This kid is good. He's got game. He's part of the next French Wave. I don't imagine he'll be amazing. But he's not terrible. And he's been fighting. But Paire has STILL had his chances and just keeps blowing them. From good drop shots to bad drop shots. From incredible gets to ridiculous shot attempts. It's just so dumb.
Especially since Herbert is happy to give him extra chances. He has repeatedly struggled to put the third shot in play off Paire's solid and not so solid returns.
And so often it really does just come down to him being a cocky little nitwit. He hits shots that are good shots. But doesn't follow them in fast enough as if the opponent isn't going to get to it and next thing you know he's been passed. It's DUMB!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paire had 0:40 on Herbert serve, now they are fighting on Deuce again. Every game here is fighting for dear life.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I swear every time I think I can be happy for Paire... And, by that I don't mean excited. I don't mean that I suddenly think he can go deep. We're past that. Just happy for the guy. To make the third round. Like say... when he's up 5-3 in the fourth set and gets to serve for it, he EFFFFFFSS it up!!!!!!!! Dude is way too talented to be this annoyingly, stubbornly bad. Just makes dumb choices. Time and time again. Sets up a point nicely, flubs the easy put away. Gets broken. Breaks right back. Only to be broken right back again.

This kid is good. He's got game. He's part of the next French Wave. I don't imagine he'll be amazing. But he's not terrible. And he's been fighting. But Paire has STILL had his chances and just keeps blowing them. From good drop shots to bad drop shots. From incredible gets to ridiculous shot attempts. It's just so dumb.
Especially since Herbert is happy to give him extra chances. He has repeatedly struggled to put the third shot in play off Paire's solid and not so solid returns.
And so often it really does just come down to him being a cocky little nitwit. He hits shots that are good shots. But doesn't follow them in fast enough as if the opponent isn't going to get to it and next thing you know he's been passed. It's DUMB!
Agree with all. Paire reminds me of Cilic with his mental blockages, just achieved much less in a career.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Paire is one example of players who aren’t taking the proper cue from Roger (as an obvious example). He had a famously bad attitude on court as a junior, frequently letting his emotions get the better of him, until he saw a sports psychologist who got him beyond this. I think of this every time I see a player go nuts over a bad line call, and lets it become their undoing. Sure, Roger can get upset at things, but it is now extremely rare when he’ll go beyond a few words to the umpire.

Reactions: don_fabio

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well. Paire needs to find this break now. He's found a bunch today. Some easy ones too. Needs an easy one now. Did the hard work of holding. Has the advantage of serving first. Just needs to find his best for 4 to 6 points and take this match.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well. Paire needs to find this break now. He's found a bunch today. Some easy ones too. Needs an easy one now. Did the hard work of holding. Has the advantage of serving first. Just needs to find his best for 4 to 6 points and take this match.
He does 3-4 UF errors instead

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Now all I’m thinking is, RG doesn’t have a deciding set tiebreak. :facepalm:

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
these guys are unbelievable, great tennis

That one point.... Probably at 15 all or 30 15 was fantastic from both guys. And then Herbert turned around and used the same shot and got a better result because Paire pulled that down the line volley like he's pulled several other times and he was ready for it this time. Smart kid.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Now all I’m thinking is, RG doesn’t have a deciding set tiebreak. :facepalm:

And I love it. Because it's matches like this that should have to be decided by a consolidated break. Both clearly starting to save energy for their own service games now. Paire struggling to break now that he's holding better. Which is common. But annoying.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Did you call Hebert a kid? He is 28y old. He is NOT part of the new wave of French players, he just started to focus on singles later because doubles is his specialty.
In doubles he has career GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.