ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Herbert looks younger because of his face type. Meanwhile Paire with 12 double faults. Seems way too much for men.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
And I love it. Because it's matches like this that should have to be decided by a consolidated break. Both clearly starting to save energy for their own service games now. Paire struggling to break now that he's holding better. Which is common. But annoying.

I love it too. I’ve never liked the USO deciding set tiebreak, and was disappointed when Wimbledon and the AO implemented them too.

I mentioned it today, because I can see this match going on a long time, and it’s already getting late in Paris.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Paire is one example of players who aren’t taking the proper cue from Roger (as an obvious example). He had a famously bad attitude on court as a junior, frequently letting his emotions get the better of him, until he saw a sports psychologist who got him beyond this. I think of this every time I see a player go nuts over a bad line call, and lets it become their undoing. Sure, Roger can get upset at things, but it is now extremely rare when he’ll go beyond a few words to the umpire.

Paire had bad attitude not just as junior but also well into his senior career. He just recently started to look calmer and more composed.
This year he had quite a good season and he and Garin were the only players to win 2 events on clay coming into RG.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I love it too. I’ve never liked the USO deciding set tiebreak, and was disappointed when Wimbledon and the AO implemented them too.

I mentioned it today, because I can see this match going on a long time, and it’s already getting late in Paris.

Same, not a fan of the new tiebreak stuff at AO and Wimbledon

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Did you call Hebert a kid? He is 28y old. He is NOT part of the new wave of French players, he just started to focus on singles later because doubles is his specialty.
In doubles he has career GS.

Whoops. Soooo I definitely considered looking him up before I posted it. But I didn't. Because I just assumed he was under 23. I know he does a lot of doubles. But I don't remember seeing that much of him in doubles or singles until the last 2 years. Chances are good I've looked him up before and that may have been why I suspected I was wrong. But I guess I didn't care enough to check.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Herbert looks younger because of his face type. Meanwhile Paire with 12 double faults. Seems way too much for men.

Not for a five setter. I don't think. I mean. It's a little high. But only by like 2 or 3. I'd expect 1 to 3 per set and their deep into a 5th set and he only has 12. That's not terrible.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Me neither. I like the suspense to see which of the 2 players cracks in the end mentally.

I think... I mean after Isner v Anderson, they just didn't have a choice at Wimbledon. Like. Those are rare. And yet. The 3 huge ones I can think of, 2 including Isner and the Fed v DelPo match at the 2012 Olympics at Wimbledon were exhausting for everyone involved and they couldn't play their next match. And at Wimbledon, with the grass at the speed it is, guys like Isner and Anderson just are not going to be broken. At least, not by each other. So you gotta have a mercy rule basically. Wimbledon set it at ...??? Anyone remember? 12-12? Or 9-9? I don't remember. That's still a lot of extra play either way.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
This set now longer than both the first two sets combined. By like 10 minutes already.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
In the end his beautiful drop shot gets him to match point. You can see why he goes to it too often. Because it is sublime on a regular occasion.

Reactions: don_fabio

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What a match this one was!
Very nice gesture to see them embracing at the net.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Second serve let! That's always terrifying. Paire gets it done though. A battle that really never should have happened. But, 5 setters are often like that. He'll sleep well tonight. Great match. Lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.