ATP Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
There are four popcorn matches in 2nd round.

1. Paire vs. Herbert
2. Nishikori vs. Tsonga
3. Dimi vs. Cilic
4. Wawrinka vs. Garin

Can you predict all four matches correctly?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There are four popcorn matches in 2nd round.

1. Paire vs. Herbert
2. Nishikori vs. Tsonga
3. Dimi vs. Cilic
4. Wawrinka vs. Garin

Can you predict all four matches correctly?

Every match looks like it can go either way, judging from what we have seen so far this year.

1. I am leaning towards Paire, tough Herbert made impressive comeback against Medvedev. Already chose Paire to take down Medvedev so makes sense to beat Herbert as well. He beat him easily in Marrakech this year. The real question is who will french people choose to cheer for? Who is more loved among the two? I think they like Paire more, because he's a loco.

2. I pick Nishikori. Him and Tsonga haven't met for the last 2 and half years. Only time they played on clay was on RG 15 in QF with Tsonga beating him in 5 sets. Tsonga is far from that form and I saw Nishikori's look in the eyes after the 1st round win. That was a look of a woken up Samurai.

3. I picked Cilic in the brackets, but I was not sure the other day and I am not sure even now. They both suck this season. If I choose Dimitrov here now then either way I win haha, but okay I must stick with my countryman I guess, tough something is pushing me away. Maybe a fact that I beat him when we were kids and he had mental dips even back then. I am 1:0 against him and that will never change (same as Cilic's mental dips).

4. I picked Wawrinka in brackets, but it was a hard choice and the more I think again I lean towards Garin. I feel a possible upset here, Wawrinka is vulnerable.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. Paire also. Although I had Medvedev beating Herbert in the first round. Dire start to my bracket - I'm last right now :) @mrzz - start talking some smack brother, I'm combing the depths of the ocean looking for shells.

2. I'll take Nish

3. I picked Dimi in the bracket and will stick with him, although never confident when Grigor is holding a stick.

4. Stan.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
There used to be live radio broadcast that one could listen during GSs. Isn't that not available any more?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I'm last right now :) @mrzz - start talking some smack brother, I'm combing the depths of the ocean looking for shells.

Still too much water to go under the bridge, my friend. Anyway, feel free to admit that, when you looked at the standings, you just thought "me and my big mouth again..."

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Still too much water to go under the bridge, my friend. Anyway, feel free to admit that, when you looked at the standings, you just thought "me and my big mouth again..."
Nah, I like a bit of friendly smack, even if it backfires.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dellien took the first set after chasing the break against the greek. Well done Hugo.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dellien took the first set after chasing the break against the greek. Well done Hugo.

Stefanos broke back right away to take the early lead in the second set.
Just woke up to this match, this may just also qualify for a popcorn status, but too early for that in Canada. I may settle for a cup of tea.

Reactions: don_fabio

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
His is now the real Tsitsipas, up 2 breaks on Hugo early in the second set.

Reactions: britbox

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Stefanos won the second set with a bagel. It was tighter than the scoreline suggests, the 4 game lasted forever, with 8 dueces or so.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Young Frenchman Mouret took a 2 set lead on Pella.
The Argentine won the third set, still long way to go.

Last edited:

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Pella has been way too good to go down like this, this quick. But, Moutet is playing lights out. He's all over Pella's serve, which is his only great weapon. And he's just outhitting Pella. Forcing Pella into going for too much. I've seen him hit 4 forehands long and I've been watching for 5 minutes. Maybe that wasn't the story of the first 3 sets and Pella is just exasperated with this dude. But looks like Moutet is just ready for him and this French crowd is of course completely behind him. 4-0 Moutet. It's basically over. Small guy. Quick google search says he's 5'9".

Reactions: don_fabio

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
On serve for Nishikori/Tsonga. But Nishikori has taken Tsonga to deuce in at least 2 of Tsonga's service games. I haven't watched all three of his service games though.

Dellien with the early 4th set break though.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mouret fails to serve out the match at 5:1. He will have a few more chances to close the match.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Of course as soon as I open my big mouth Pella wins 4 of 5 games. Serving to stay in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.