2024 WTA News & Gossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Keli

See Jess has made back to back WTA1000 finals? maybe she has "turned that corner" :)
Jess has the opportunity to be the first women in the Open Era to win Toronto and Cincinnati!
since Evonne Goolagong won the double in 1973!

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Who is your pick for the Open?
I think the order would be something like this::
1. Saba
2. Iga
3. Zheng
4. Rybakina (this is a dicey pick)
5. Jess (even if she gets out of the QF, I'm not confident she could handle it mentally as a 1st timer on home soil)
6. Schnaider
7. Coco
8. Jaz (alot of things have to happen for Jaz to win the final. It really will depend who's on the other side of the net that day)
9. Emma N.
10. Teen Queen

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Keli

See Jess has made back to back WTA1000 finals? maybe she has "turned that corner" :)
Jess has the opportunity to be the first women in the Open Era to win Toronto and Cincinnati!
since Evonne Goolagong won the double in 1973!
Again, I'll take notice when she gets to the SF of a major.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the order would be something like this::
1. Saba
2. Iga
3. Zheng
4. Rybakina (this is a dicey pick)
5. Jess (even if she gets out of the QF, I'm not confident she could handle it mentally as a 1st timer on home soil)
6. Schnaider
7. Coco
8. Jaz (alot of things have to happen for Jaz to win the final. It really will depend who's on the other side of the net that day)
9. Emma N.
10. Teen Queen
Iga really? hmm I would have down the list

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Iga really? hmm I would have down the list
you can't completely forget that's she's won the thing before. A slam champ, especially a #1 seed w/ multiple slams to their name finds ways to win matches even when they are far from their best. On the right day, Iga could muster a win against 3-10. My point is, you can't count her out. And just like Jaz needs the right opponent in the final, Iga will need some breaks in her draw (like not facing Osta or Elena)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
you can't completely forget that's she's won the thing before. A slam champ, especially a #1 seed w/ multiple slams to their name finds ways to win matches even when they are far from their best. On the right day, Iga could muster a win against 3-10. My point is, you can't count her out. And just like Jaz needs the right opponent in the final, Iga will need some breaks in her draw (like not facing Osta or Elena)
Of course the draw will be important especially for Iga, though she shoould not face Saba who will be ranked No 2 later, though if she draws say Osta who on her day can beat Iga on a HC, if she is on her game.
I still have question marks over Elena? she has the game to win the USO

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Of course the draw will be important especially for Iga, though she shoould not face Saba who will be ranked No 2 later, though if she draws say Osta who on her day can beat Iga on a HC, if she is on her game.
I still have question marks over Elena? she has the game to win the USO
We all will be waiting w/ baited breath to see if the "Real" Elena even makes an appearance.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We all will be waiting w/ baited breath to see if the "Real" Elena even makes an appearance.
Rybakina is not built for the New York streets.I think the noise and pace of NY is not her cup of tea.I think momentum is important and a good draw.I just think this year the winner is someone who has won it before..I am tentatively picking Iga or Osaka.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm going to take the safe pick, and go with the player that made the last 2 slam finals: Jasmine Paolini. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone off the grid actually wins the US Open.
Well..I hope she won't be exhausted from playing singles and doubles.Saba is a safe bet but anything can happen and there are a lot of players who can knock her out like Anisimova who outhit her in Toronto. Shnaider is another dangerous floater,Mirra is also dangerous for any top player.Emma Raducanu is also a dangerous floater especially after her exploits at Wimbledon .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Rybakina is not built for the New York streets.I think the noise and pace of NY is not her cup of tea.I think momentum is important and a good draw.I just think this year the winner is someone who has won it before..I am tentatively picking Iga or Osaka.
Naomi is not ready. She's using the same training methods and strategy of ball bashing. It will not work against this new crop of players. Like I said before, everyone has improved and she needs to change something in her game to be different and better. That same old gameplan of whacking the heck out of the ball is not gonna cut it, plus she definitely needs to get fitter. I think she faded against Iga at RG that's why she imploded in that match. She has to be ready to play 7 high intensity 3 set matches. She's not there yet.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Naomi is not ready. She's using the same training methods and strategy of ball bashing. It will not work against this new crop of players. Like I said before, everyone has improved and she needs to change something in her game to be different and better. That same old gameplan of whacking the heck out of the ball is not gonna cut it, plus she definitely needs to get fitter. I think she faded against Iga at RG that's why she imploded in that match. She has to be ready to play 7 high intensity 3 set matches. She's not there yet.
Well Osaka could not get through qualies of Cinncy she got knocked out by Kreuger, she cant string 3 matches together on her best surface HC, she is finding since coming back form having a baby players have gone passed her that she usually can beat.Also she is only playing NYC as a WC being a past champion

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well Osaka could not get through qualies of Cinncy she got knocked out by Kreuger, she cant string 3 matches together on her best surface HC, she is finding since coming back form having a baby players have gone passed her that she usually can beat.Also she is only playing NYC as a WC being a past champion
I know a lot of people (the betting houses included) all believe she will magically find it if she just keeps playing. The worst thing she could do was bring Wim back. Because she has settled right back into her old habits, training and mindset. When she saw he was working w/ Zheng already, she should have hired someone else. She needs a fresh set of eyes to give her a new perspective.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I know a lot of people (the betting houses included) all believe she will magically find it if she just keeps playing. The worst thing she could do was bring Wim back. Because she has settled right back into her old habits, training and mindset. When she saw he was working w/ Zheng already, she should have hired someone else. She needs a fresh set of eyes to give her a new perspective.
Agree, Wim has changed nothing or encouraged her to add some variety to her game, that has been going on before she got pregnant she will just end up like Kim Cljisters lol! she does need fresh eyes

Reactions: kskate2

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Look at Pegula after dumping Witt her stock has gone up and is playing good tennis.She is not giving up like she use to...you are right and Osaka has to add more weapons to her game plus conditioning is not really there because once a match goes to three sets she kinda loses steam.I think her father is a good coach why not bring him.back.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to the No 3 seeds E.Routliffe and A.Muhommad who are the Cincinnati Ladies Doubles Champions defeating L.Fernandez/Y.Putintseva 36 61 10-4

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA1000 Cincinnati
Ladies Singles Final,
Monday 19th August,
Center Court,
Not before 3pm,

A.Sabalenka (3) vs J.Pegula (6) H2H Sabalenka 4-2

Aryna has reached the final this week without dropping a set.
Jess has reached back to back WTA1000 finals, recently won Toronto and if she wins the title in Cincinnati she can become the 1st women in the Open Era since Evonne Goolagong won the double in 1973!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Look at Pegula after dumping Witt her stock has gone up and is playing good tennis.She is not giving up like she use to...you are right and Osaka has to add more weapons to her game plus conditioning is not really there because once a match goes to three sets she kinda loses steam.I think her father is a good coach why not bring him.back.
Quite frankly Osaka's dad never added any variety to her game she is still the same baseliner today as she was when her father was her coach, also Sasha Bajin didnt do much as her coach either
Any player with variety can bring her forward to the net as her transition game is poor also her volley's are also poor, getting results,.Playing doubles for starters would help, as well help her singles and positional play, players like Saba, Coco, Pegula are good doubles players winning titles, and they all have variety in their games.and have good solid transition games.

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Well..I hope she won't be exhausted from playing singles and doubles.Saba is a safe bet but anything can happen and there are a lot of players who can knock her out like Anisimova who outhit her in Toronto. Shnaider is another dangerous floater,Mirra is also dangerous for any top player.Emma Raducanu is also a dangerous floater especially after her exploits at Wimbledon .
Yeah, I really like the Mirra pick (definitely in my Top 5 favorites to win it all). She has the potential to be the next great player in the women's game. It's only a matter of time before she has her breakthrough moment. Mirra's year at the slams almost mirrors Coco's first 3 slams in 2023 before winning the US Open:

Coco 2023: AO 4R, FO QF, W 1st round
Mirra 2024: AO 4R, FO SF, W 1st round