2024 Olympic Games [Men] - Stade Roland Garros/Clay

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A great effort from Cerundolo aka The Dangerous One who keeps battling every day after the Umag title defeats Umbert (10) 75 67(5) 75
He will be back later for the doubles

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Really? oh Girl Baby Girl jeez jajaja

I didn't get you here. Are you a grandpa?

Btw I was on Rafa's side today I was just shocked to see him go down in flames like that on clay at his favorite venue also given that he has a positive h2h with Djokovic at this venue. It just took me some time to wrap my head around it. But then I figured Rafa's form is very bad and he also might have been injured. I also realized he played a lot of tennis recently and is getting exhausted.

I do still admire him for his constructive mindset right now.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole destroyed Rafa on the red clay of RG??? Is this true?

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Btw I was on Rafa's side today I was just shocked to see him go down in flames like that on clay at his favorite venue also given that he has a positive h2h with Djokovic at this venue. It just took me some time to wrap my head around it. But then I figured Rafa's form is very bad and he also might have been injured. I also realized he played a lot of tennis recently and is getting exhausted.

You're kidding? I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with all this hype on this last match between these 2 ATG's! Novak has just made a Wimbledon Final while Rafa was sitting on his arse for over a year, then struggled to get past riff raff in a 250 event earlier this month! WTF? Why are people surprised at this blowout? :astonished-face::angry-face::fearful-face::yawningface:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
You're kidding? I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with all this hype on this last match between these 2 ATG's! Novak has just made a Wimbledon Final while Rafa was sitting on his arse for over a year, then struggled to get past riff raff in a 250 event earlier this month! WTF? Why are people surprised at this blowout? :astonished-face::angry-face::fearful-face::yawningface:

I don't know who is surprised. I am just gutted.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

I thought EVERYONE knew that Rafa was a huge underdog.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't watched much of the "new Rafa," but would I be wrong in thinking he's basically David Ferrer now, and not the peak 2012-13 version, but more the declined-but-still-good 2016-17 version?

(Except with the possibility of upside, if he finds his groove?)

• Wow

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I don't know who is surprised. I am just gutted.

Rafa's final match should have been in Paris back in May after Sascha dismissed him in the 1st round! He wasn't going to get any better! He should have known that along w/ his sycophantic training staff! Why wasn't he talked out of this? It made no sense taking up space in the draw; esp. after his efforts in Bastad! It was a 250 w/ little in the way of top pros to even give him a test, but got to that final after top seeds eliminated early! I suppose he thought he could bluff his way thru a few rounds! It didn't happen and he was embarrassed by Novak today! :yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face::angry-face::face-vomiting:

Last edited:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not surprised that the Serbian Slayer on the match, as much as it being a total dismantling of the greatest Clay court warrior we have seen in over 40 years (I will always put the Angelic Assassin in the same boat with the great Spanish Bull). Even when he is not at his past, and even with it being Novak on the other side, a total beat down is not something I would expect.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I am not surprised that the Serbian Slayer on the match, as much as it being a total dismantling of the greatest Clay court warrior we have seen in over 40 years (I will always put the Angelic Assassin in the same boat with the great Spanish Bull). Even when he is not at his past, and even with it being Novak on the other side, a total beat down is not something I would expect.

that's right

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
that's right
That's why I wrote "Oh Girl Baby Girl" .. Why were you shocked? @Fiero425 was correct . Rafa hasnt played in over 2 years while Novak has been competing for the number #1 ranking in the world and at GS finals during that time. Did you think that Rafa could beat anyone in the top 5 or even be competitive against the current lead of the 3 headed GOAT.. .This had only the chance of being just a glorified exho for the two of them. Its gonna take a lot of tournaments and GS matches before Rafa could even begin to be challenge for the top 5 if his body can hold together. I not attacking you but let's be realistic even for Rafa fans.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on Carlos focus please serving for the match against Griekspoor and broken? 5 all 2nd set

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's why I wrote "Oh Girl Baby Girl" .. Why were you shocked? @Fiero425 was correct . Rafa hasnt played in over 2 years while Novak has been competing for the number #1 ranking in the world and at GS finals during that time. Did you think that Rafa could beat anyone in the top 5 or even be competitive against the current lead of the 3 headed GOAT.. .This had only the chance of being just a glorified exho for the two of them. Its gonna take a lot of tournaments and GS matches before Rafa could even begin to be challenge for the top 5 if his body can hold together. I not attacking you but let's be realistic even for Rafa fans.
Quite frankly I dont know why people are 'stunned' that Rafa lost? apparently they havent seen his latest matches? at one stage he was going to withdraw before his first singles match, his medical staff advised him to,? he went and had a practice session on Chatrier and only then decided to play, the ITF was expected him to withdraw. Carlos and Rafa are still in the doubles they will play the Dutch pair of Griekspoor/Koolhok tomorrow
BTW Rafa still holds a H2H against Novak on clay 20-9 and at RG now 8-3:)
Of course now all the media are asking Rafa if he is going to retire now after he lost to Novak :) I knew that question was coming :)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos will serve to force a TB in the 2nd set 5-6 against Griekspoor, well at least he is getting in some practice, he will be playing against Tallon in the doubles match tomorrow
Carlos wins in SS 61 76(3)

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly I dont know why people are 'stunned' that Rafa lost? apparently they havent seen his latest matches? at one stage he was going to withdraw before his first singles match, his medical staff advised him to,? he went and had a practice session on Chatrier and only then decided to play, the ITF was expected him to withdraw. Carlos and Rafa are still in the doubles they will play the Dutch pair of Griekspoor/Koolhok tomorrow
BTW Rafa still holds a H2H against Novak on clay 20-9 and at RG now 8-3:)
Of course now all the media are asking Rafa if he is going to retire now after he lost to Novak :) I knew that question was coming :)
I glanced at the match earlier today.. If Rafa was RAFA he would have consolidated the 2nd break at 4-4 in the 2nd set. TennisMan asked a few days ago and I told him it was going to be a huge disadvantage if Rafa kept returning service from the Paris River instead of the baseline. Rafa's fh was not clicking and everything was dropping too short. That's like putting a Rooster in a hen house. No Contest.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have some of the playing schedule on Tuesday 30th July,
Chatrier 12pm,
Gauff v Vekic
Zverev v Machac
7pm
Swaitek v Wang
Medvedev v Wang

Lenglen 12pm,
Draper v Fritz
Paolini v Schmielova
Nadal/Alcaraz vs /Griekspoor/Koolhof
Murray/Evans vs Gille/Vliegen

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly I am disappointed in Matteo Arnaldi's season so far, apart from defeating Fils every month, he was defeated by Koepfer 36 62 61 in his match today.
Matteo is a very offensive player, whose game I feel suits the faster surfaces, hoping the up coming HC season he can at least have better results

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A surprise win in the doubles today Koepfer/Struff unseeded, defeated No 7 seeds Mektic/Pavic 63 67(5) 10-5