2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Oh, believe me, I wasn't talking about him. You know I think he's a Clown Prince, and that, in team competition, he plays for the Manila Folders. I just think that it's unlikely that Djokovic will make it all the way through to the final. Sinner and Alcaraz can't meet in the final. Sinner's draw isn't easy, and frankly, I think Alcaraz's isn't as easy as people think...based on working my way through the draw challenge last night. The top half is the harder one, and not just because Jannik and Carlitos are both in it.
I don't expect Djoke to go deep either, but between the young gunz, one of them will make it to the final. I don't vision an alternate reality where there's a surprise finalist from that half. The surprise is likely to come from the bottom section and no, obviously not Zed.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually picked both Nakashima and Shapavolov in my draw to go through. Baez is more of a clay guy, and Nakashima has been playing well. While you never know with Shapo, he has a better game for grass, so I kind of rolled the dice on him. So, while they're upsets on paper, they weren't huge surprises.
Baez is not good on the grass, so I wasnt surprised he lost, as you say more of a clay man

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Wimbledon, Day 2 Round 1, July 2, 2024

1719874225413.png

1719874258753.png

1719874314818.png

1719874355909.png

1719874396824.png

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't expect Djoke to go deep either, but between the young gunz, one of them will make it to the final. I don't vision an alternate reality where there's a surprise finalist from that half. The surprise is likely to come from the bottom section and no, obviously not Zed.
Have you looked at the bottom half? I'm not proud of myself for picking Zed to make the final, but who else is there? If Djokovic doesn't make it to the final, who else is there? Hurkacz? Tsitsipas? Rublev? Fritz? DeMinaur? I'd love it to be Holger Rune, but still waiting for that to happen.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Have you looked at the bottom half? I'm not proud of myself for picking Zed to make the final, but who else is there? If Djokovic doesn't make it to the final, who else is there? Hurkacz? Tsitsipas? Rublev? Fritz? DeMinaur? I'd love it to be Holger Rune, but still waiting for that to happen.
I think if Draper can get past Zed, he'll have a really good shot at making the final in the absence of Djoke.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think if Draper can get past Zed, he'll have a really good shot at making the final in the absence of Djoke.
I like it! And I'd love to see it. So would all of Britain. TBH, if I were going to lay money, he wouldn't be my first pick, or 4th, but I like the idea.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As long as the pressure of Jack playing in front of his home crowd dosent get to him, I am on board with Jack

Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As long as the pressure of Jack playing in front of his home crowd dosent get to him, I am on board with Jack
It's a great idea. But he's probably going to have to get past Cam Norrie, then Zverev, then Fritz, then maybe Rublev or Korda. Then, if Djokovic is gone by then, Rune or Hurkacz. It's rather a gauntlet, for a young player just getting his legs back. The bottom half of the draw is the far easier, if you're in the top 5, but not so much if you're Jack Draper.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a great idea. But he's probably going to have to get past Cam Norrie, then Zverev, then Fritz, then maybe Rublev or Korda. Then, if Djokovic is gone by then, Rune or Hurkacz. It's rather a gauntlet, for a young player just getting his legs back. The bottom half of the draw is the far easier, if you're in the top 5, but not so much if you're Jack Draper.
I see your point, though stranger things have happened, and as you said previously said this Wimbledon is quite open in many ways
I dont think I could see another Zverev in a final the last 2 were bad enough and quite frankly I dont care what he says at present those scars are still deep especially if he reaches another GS final

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray has withdrawn in singles due to back injury and David Goffin has replaced him in the draw as a LL and will play against Machac
Andy will still play doubles with his brother Jamie later this week, but has confirmed this will be the last time he competes at Wimbledon,
not enough recovery time to play singles

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rain delay at present
Only 2 courts have roofs
CC does not start again until 8.30am edt
Court 1 is scheduled to start at 8am edt with womens match Rybakina.

• Sad

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray has withdrawn in singles due to back injury and David Goffin has replaced him in the draw as a LL and will play against Machac
Andy will still play doubles with his brother Jamie later this week, but has confirmed this will be the last time he competes at Wimbledon,
not enough recovery time to play singles
I forgot about the doubles I was half way correct that he was going to play

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Covers coming off the outside courts now
Roof on CC will still be on for the first match
Court 1 match has started roof will be also closed for the 1st match

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Match which was suspended yesterday due to bad light Shelton (14) v M. Belluci 2 sets all now, going 5

Mpetshi Perricard leads Korda (20) 2 sets to 1
I like big Frenchie.. I think he can scare the crap out of most of the lower ranked players but someone in the top 40 will clean his clock due to his inconsistency .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like big Frenchie.. I think he can scare the crap out of most of the lower ranked players but someone in the top 40 will clean his clock due to his inconsistency .
Seeing he came in as a LL, I dont think Korda too happy to face him, Korda has had abdominal issues in this match
Also Perricard was hitting Ace after Ace, Korda just watched them go by :)

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing he came in as a LL, I dont think Korda too happy to face him, Korda has had abdominal issues in this match
Also Perricard was hitting Ace after Ace, Korda just watched them go by :)
All Frenchie needed was another 5 mins on the court to seal the victory. Guys like that are brutal to play against at SW19.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
MM, If Novak would have faced Lajal he would be going home this evening, this guy he is facing isnt that tough.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425
Status
Not open for further replies.