2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to take a nap and Forza Lorenzo what a tournament you are having making your 1st SF at Wimbledon and on grass
I have recorded the match and will watch the last sets late
Lorenzo Forza!

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who woulda thunk the last Italian male player standing at W grass would be Musetti?

1720637872915.gif

I would have given better odds for Sinner, Berretini ( who inexplicably my wife insisted we see one of his matches) and even Sonego

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rob,

I am still in shock when you think about it I always thought Sinner would be in a SF this year, not Lorenzo
Crazy Italians lol!
We have 2 Italians in SF this year, Lorenzo in the mens SF and Jasmine in the womens SFs

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak's run to the SF:
1R: qualifier Vit Kopriva, career high #111
2R: wildcard Jacob Fearnley, career high #271
3R: Alexei Popyrin, career high #38
4R: Holger Rune, career high #4, current #15
QF: walkover

Popyrin is a decent player and for a bit there it looked like he had a chance at the top 20. Rune is Rune, but has stuff to work on.

Anyhow, it is quite an easy path to reach a Slam SF. He lost a set to both Fearnley (!) and Popyrin, so I'd suggest that it is hard to assess what his actual level is. I wouldn't be surprised if he's either blown away by Alcaraz or loses in a war of attrition to Medvedev. He probably needs a strong opposition from Fritz/Musetti to really test where he's at.
Well Novak had 2 other s players in his half that withdrew to injuries and Zverev lost, though he was playing on on leg, even if he had won he would have to withdraw in his next match,, he is having MRI on his knee, they feel he has a hair line fracture to his knee.
So his path to the SF is really easy, quite frankly

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Musetti who arrived on the grass season with a negative W-L record in 2024 completely turned his year around.
Musetti win percentage on grass is now 18-9 (67%) on grass, seven points higher than clay 50-34 (60%)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Due to wet weather Mixed Doubles Final on Thursday is no longer possible decision to revise the Finals schedule,

Saturday 13th July,
1 match from 2pm on CC is Ladies Singles Final
2 match Gentlemans Doubles Final
3 match Ladies Doubles Final

Sunday 14th July, on CC from 2pm,
1 match Gentlemans Singles Final
2 match Mixed Doubles Final

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Italians are on fire,and maybe Musetti felt left out and he said why not join in the party.He is very talented and his game has lots of variety.He exposed Fritz as a one dimensional ball asher.
Tossip,
We have 2 Italians now in the SF Lorenzo and Jazz :)
Lorenzo has always had the talent he at times could not execute it and winning a 5 set match, his physical ability to compete in a 5 set match was poor and I thought he had to win it in 4 sets against Fritz

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tossip,
We have 2 Italians now in the SF Lorenzo and Jazz :)
Lorenzo has always had the talent he at times could not execute it and winning a 5 set match, his physical ability to compete in a 5 set match was poor and I thought he had to win it in 4 sets against Fritz
These are my favorites after Berrettini of course.I hope Lorenzo kicks that ego maniac to the curb,and Jasmine fells a tall tree.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
These are my favorites after Berrettini of course.I hope Lorenzo kicks that ego maniac to the curb,and Jasmine fells a tall tree.
No love for Jannik?, actually we have some very talented Italians on the rise, after we won the DC Cup last year, most of the Italian men have been pushing one another to work harder and succeed,
Another thing didnt Lorenzo's hair look great after his 5 set win:)
I have just finished watching the 5th set now, gee Lorenzo kept his best tennis for the 5th set
If Lorenzo can mentally hold it together with his talent he could be in the Top Ten
After reaching the Stuttgart and Queens SF he has become the first Italian in the Open Era to reach 3 or more ATP event SF on grass in a calendar year.Rising!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tossip and nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
.He exposed Fritz as a one dimensional ball asher.
You know, Fritz started out that way, but he’s done a ton of work on his fitness, his movement, groundstrokes, all around game. I’m not a fan of Taylor but I respect the time and effort he’s put in to become better. Lastly, I imagine he was a little worn down from coming back against Zverev.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Looking forward to this semifinal. It will be a good test to see where Novak’s game is, and Lorenzo has a lot more upside to win than Fritz.
Rob,
The best take away from Lorenzo's match today against Fritz he competed well in a best of 5, he has struggled with his fitness levels,
Very pleased with his effort and I felt he kept his best tennis for the 5th set

Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rob,
The best take away from Lorenzo's match today against Fritz he competed well in a best of 5, he has struggled with his fitness levels,
Very pleased with his effort and I felt he kept his best tennis for the 5th set
Can we change the “Love“ emoji from that gushing thing to just a heart? Love what wrote Margaret.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No love for Jannik?, actually we have some very talented Italians on the rise, after we won the DC Cup last year, most of the Italian men have been pushing one another to work harder and succeed,
Another thing didnt Lorenzo's hair look great after his 5 set win:)
I have just finished watching the 5th set now, gee Lorenzo kept his best tennis for the 5th set
If Lorenzo can mentally hold it together with his talent he could be in the Top Ten
After reaching the Stuttgart and Queens SF he has become the first Italian in the Open Era to reach 3 or more ATP event SF on grass in a calendar year.Rising!
Yes I have always liked Jannik since he came on tour..I like Musetti because he seems to be a sensitive tortured artist.Jasmine has won me over this season with her never quit mentality,and of course Berrettini the bello.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He won’t ever admit it (he doesn’t need to, btw), but deep down that he is still hurt that he is still not beloved as Federer and Nadal. He is definitely happy about his amazing records, but what he truly wants is the love that Federer and Nadal get from tennis fans. It definitely annoys him till this day.
Some speculate Jack Nicklaus felt the same way about Arnold Palmer for many years until much later in their careers--they ended up good friends who genuinely liked to play against one another and deeply respected the other. Arnie even conceded in one of his last books that Jack was "the most accomplished" golfer of the modern era and that took something for Palmer to say that. After Palmer died, Jack was one who eulogized him and he actually said Arnold was the "king of our sport and always will be", which he likely never would have conceded thirty or forty years ago. Novak will come around regarding Fedal just like Jack did with Arnie.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not a great stat for Taylor Fritz,
He is now 0-4 in GS QFs,
Today was the best chance he's had to far in his career to get over the line
This one's going to sting!

Status
Not open for further replies.