2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm really astonished Novak's knee is responding so well. His knee tear must have been really minor but he is a freak of nature.
It is surprising, and, yes, I think all the stretching he does and care he takes does help him in recovery, including like his diet. This is why people keep saying, including him, that he might play to 40 and past it. However, the things that come with age do intrude, which is why everyone has been so surprised at the precipitous drop in results so far this year.

He's also been lucky in his draw, so far, which is why everyone, including the author of the ESPN article I posted will be looking to see how it goes v. Rune.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holger has got to win the first two sets tomorrow
Well, that would help his cause, for sure. I still agree with K's assessment that he has to remember that he's young and strong, and he can make Novak test that knee. That's the most important. Losing the first set will make it a lot tougher. I think he should do everything to win the first set, then employ a "wear him down, run him around" strategy. K says, if he can hit big and keep the UFE's down, he can beat him in 4. Rune is still a wild card, esp. lately, but he's beaten Djoker a couple of times.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think people need to realize in the case of Novak was just arthoscopic surgery through key surgery for the small tear in his knee a simple procedure which take 1 hour at the most and is day surgery, my husband had it and didnt need crutches at all back at work in 5 days

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm really astonished Novak's knee is responding so well. His knee tear must have been really minor but he is a freak of nature.
I've read that his knee is still not in perfect shape and his physios are doing treatment every day to make him ready for the next match. If that is to be trusted, Rune should move him around and test Novak's movement to the limits.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think people need to realize in the case of Novak was just arthoscopic surgery through key surgery for the small tear in his knee a simple procedure which take 1 hour at the most and is day surgery, my husband had it and didnt need crutches at all back at work in 5 days
You've said this before. Going to a day job is not the same as playing Wimbledon, right? And he's trying to win it. He still had a torn meniscus, no matter how non-evasive the surgery was. There is a reason that everyone is looking at his knee.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You've said this before. Going to a day job is not the same as playing Wimbledon, right? And he's trying to win it. He still had a torn meniscus, no matter how non-evasive the surgery was. There is a reason that everyone is looking at his knee.
Of course my hubbie isnt a athlete though being a marine engineer he has in the past had to kneel down on metal plates in the engineer room of a ship, the reason he had to have surgery
Though it was his decision to play remember?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've read that his knee is still not in perfect shape and his physios are doing treatment every day to make him ready for the next match. If that is to be trusted, Rune should move him around and test Novak's movement to the limits.
I think they'll have to keep a close eye on the knee through the Olympics, because a good team treats these guys like the Ferraris that they are. If you're the opponent, you test the movement.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He needs a 4 hour plus match with drop shots and a few overhead lobs to make it uncomfortable for him
Try to be kind okay,
I dont know what the fuss is about, Novak made the decision to play, I would not play on grass with a injured knee for starters, low bouncing balls to start with, then going back to play on clay? Insanity

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If anyone needs proof that the bottom half of the draw is "softer," and you may not, I was looking at the draw challenge for our group. Most all picks in the top half go according to common sense, and everyone is doing pretty well there. The bottom half is a mess for everyone. Not just because Hurkacz got injured. Rublev and Khachanov were down there, and they are unreliable, and bowed out early. Let's face it...one of the most reliable guys down there is de Minaur. All of the crew is in the top half, besides Novak and Zverev.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If anyone needs proof that the bottom half of the draw is "softer," and you may not, I was looking at the draw challenge for our group. Most all picks in the top half go according to common sense, and everyone is doing pretty well there. The bottom half is a mess for everyone. Not just because Hurkacz got injured. Rublev and Khachanov were down there, and they are unreliable, and bowed out early. Let's face it...one of the most reliable guys down there is de Minaur. All of the crew is in the top half, besides Novak and Zverev.
De Minaur has been a surprise packet especially on the grass at Wimbledon this year, though to be fair he did get a walk over

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
De Minaur has been a surprise packet especially on the grass at Wimbledon this year, though to be fair he did get a walk over
He did get a walkover, AND he's in the weaker side of the draw. I like him, and he's been having a good year, so not to demean, but let's face it. He could have faced Felix, then Hurkacz. Oh, I forgot to mention FAA as one of the non-contenders who were top players in the bottom who went out early.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He did get a walkover, AND he's in the weaker side of the draw. I like him, and he's been having a good year, so not to demean, but let's face it. He could have faced Felix, then Hurkacz. Oh, I forgot to mention FAA as one of the non-contenders who were top players in the bottom who went out early.
For his limited weapons have to give him credit he uses them to the max, and you can only play what is in front of you in a draw, regardless of injuries etc or other players more favored getting beaten

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dont know what the fuss is about, Novak made the decision to play, I would not play on grass with a injured knee for starters, low bouncing balls to start with, then going back to play on clay? Insanity
This statement is a basic contradiction. You don't know what the fuss is about, but you think it's insane that he's playing, for one reason that the balls are low-bouncing. Well, that IS what the fuss is about. Should he have played? Can he yet win? It's the Championships, and he's still in it. How are we not going to discuss it? We are a tennis forum.

And today we get an object lesson from Dimitrov in how to blow out a perfectly healthy knee in 8 games.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For his limited weapons have to give him credit he uses them to the max, and you can only play what is in front of you in a draw, regardless of injuries etc or other players more favored getting beaten
All of which I basically said. I like de Minaur. You miss my point. It's that he's one of the strongest players in the bottom half, since even a round ago. That tells you something about the bottom half. Which was my only point.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All of which I basically said. I like de Minaur. You miss my point. It's that he's one of the strongest players in the bottom half, since even a round ago. That tells you something about the bottom half. Which was my only point.
I didnt miss your point I understood what you said, top half was the hardest of course

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He needs a 4 hour plus match with drop shots and a few overhead lobs to make it uncomfortable for him
Tennis strategy has to be brutal, and I think this is what Rune has to go for. He's got to find the discipline to keep the ball between the lines, to keep the rallies going, while also playing outside of his comfort zone to "junkyard dog" Novak. (My new favorite phrase, courtesy of @kskate2.)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This statement is a basic contradiction. You don't know what the fuss is about, but you think it's insane that he's playing, for one reason that the balls are low-bouncing. Well, that IS what the fuss is about. Should he have played? Can he yet win? It's the Championships, and he's still in it. How are we not going to discuss it? We are a tennis forum.

And today we get an object lesson from Dimitrov in how to blow out a perfectly healthy knee in 8 games.
If I remmber rightly you and I were on the same page with Novak not playing?
So it isnt a contradiction from my end, Yes I undersand it is a tennis forum
Stop being soo picky thanks
People here today are soo touchy lol! and I dont like your tone to me okay
Players have been slipping on this grass with injuries Hubi, Kok, Dimi all with knee injuries all had to withdraw
No I dont think Novak can win at Wimbledon,if you read my previous statements regarding Novak I thought you would have picked that up by now

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Why dont we discuss the players that are playing tomorrow other than Novak this isnt all about Novak is it?
My Italian has to face Perricard though he did beat him in the Boss Open on grass recently in SS

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It is surprising, and, yes, I think all the stretching he does and care he takes does help him in recovery, including like his diet. This is why people keep saying, including him, that he might play to 40 and past it. However, the things that come with age do intrude, which is why everyone has been so surprised at the precipitous drop in results so far this year.

He's also been lucky in his draw, so far, which is why everyone, including the author of the ESPN article I posted will be looking to see how it goes v. Rune.
there was one segment today when they showed Novak helping the lawn crew reroll the tarp without any restrictions. Once I had thought I had a torn meniscus, I had the scope similar to MM and her hubby did. Afterwards, I felt minimal pain and my surgeon stated that there wasnt any tear but he just clean up the soft tissue pieces of cartilage. I was back on the court in less than 2 weeks. I'm beginning to feel that Novak had more clean up than an actual repair of a torn meniscus.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie
Status
Not open for further replies.