2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm going to tell your husband you called Sampras a serve-bot! (Although that's why I never like him.) I don't think AP loves serve bots. I mean, who does? That said. I'm liking Mpetxhi Parricard. I have no explanation.
Your weird not liking serve bots and like Perricard? I hope my dear Head Case Musetti can win well at least one set

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Your weird not liking serve bots and like Perricard? I hope my dear Head Case Musetti can win well at least one set
How do you practice for dealing with big Frenchie Perricard service, maybe have someone stand in the middle of the court to serve so you can practice your return of service? .may be a very long sleepless night for Musetti

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
How do you practice for dealing with big Frenchie Perricard service, maybe have someone stand in the middle of the court to serve so you can practice your return of service? .may be a very long sleepless night for Musetti
Musetti has beaten the Serve Bot in SS, dont wish nightmares on my Musetti he needs his sleep, helps with his headcassness :)

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's hard not to like big Frenchie Perricard..he just plays like he's going to work..no excessive fist pumping, he puts the ball in play and takes a big rip at the ball..I have ONLY seen him play a few times. No issues with that dude at all..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's hard not to like big Frenchie Perricard..he just plays like he's going to work..no excessive fist pumping, he puts the ball in play and takes a big rip at the ball..I have ONLY seen him play a few times. No issues with that dude at all..
Musetti defeated Perricard in the Boss open recently on grass in SS
Yes he isnt the dramatic Frenchy you see play

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Perricard is playing with house money, Musetti needs the money as he is a new Papa has an extra mouth to feed :)
God we all talk rubbish at times lol!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune Novak european booking odds:

Novak 1.32
Rune 3.42

I don't think Novak is that much of a favorite. Maybe 60:40 given that he has 7 Wimbledons, but he doesn't look impressive. More like old and beatable. For me it's more like a 50:50 match.
You know that I think odd-makers are idiots. Their h2h is 3-2 in favor of Novak, and they're never met on grass. Rune is not trending, but neither is Novak looking unbeatable. There are several x-factors: Rune is young, and he knows he's beaten the champ. We keep wondering when he'll come up to potential. He has room to grow. He's likely to get up for the big match, but can he control his game? Novak, on the other side, seems to be finding his range. Will he be cautious with the temperamental Dane? Wait for him to burn himself out? I agree that it could be a more even match than it looks on paper. A lot of variables. Certainly, Holger has to come out strong. If he gets behind early, it's hard to see him catching up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You know that I think odd-makers are idiots. Their h2h is 3-2 in favor of Novak, and they're never met on grass. Rune is not trending, but neither is Novak looking unbeatable. There are several x-factors: Rune is young, and he knows he's beaten the champ. We keep wondering when he'll come up to potential. He has room to grow. He's likely to get up for the big match, but can he control his game? Novak, on the other side, seems to be finding his range. Will he be cautious with the temperamental Dane? Wait for him to burn himself out? I agree that it could be a more even match than it looks on paper. A lot of variables. Certainly, Holger has to come out strong. If he gets behind early, it's hard to see him catching up.
Novak is serving well, though his movement is still questionable, Rune will have to make him move and have a good return game for staters

Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know that I think odd-makers are idiots. Their h2h is 3-2 in favor of Novak, and they're never met on grass. Rune is not trending, but neither is Novak looking unbeatable.
I know. I've put it there for the fun of it. Lot's of times they do get the odds right, but this time I was surprised, I expected closer odds.
There are several x-factors: Rune is young, and he knows he's beaten the champ. We keep wondering when he'll come up to potential. He has room to grow. He's likely to get up for the big match, but can he control his game? Novak, on the other side, seems to be finding his range. Will he be cautious with the temperamental Dane? Wait for him to burn himself out? I agree that it could be a more even match than it looks on paper. A lot of variables. Certainly, Holger has to come out strong. If he gets behind early, it's hard to see him catching up.
Rune himself is saying that you have to move the guys like Novak out of your way in slams, you have to beat them. It's his own words from the interview late last year on Connors podcast. Now he has a real chance do it, so the big queation is will he rise up and deliver.

Last year against Alcaraz he never got into the match, so I hope he learned from it and will come out playing better this time. I think Novak will be more agressive than previous rounds and will try to put Rune on backfoot from early on.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I've noticed that when Novak has to plant his right leg quickly, he often mis-times the shot.
Indeed, well it was his decision to play Wimbledon he was told by his medical team he was fit to play

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak is serving well, though his movement is still questionable, Rune will have to make him move and have a good return game for staters
Rune will be able to read Novak's serves..Rune has to serve 70 percent first serves, play every point like it's the ad point and control the center of the court. Moxie is correct, stay with Novak and don't get too far behind ..

Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak will have to be aggressive and he dosent want Rune to start dictating points from the baseline, Rune has the game to upset any strong base liner
Though to be fair he hasnt of late set the world on fire, his game translates to all surfaces, even though this is their first meeting on grass

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rune will be able to read Novak's serves..Rune has to serve 70 percent first serves, play every point like it's the ad point and control the center of the court. Moxie is correct, stay with Novak and don't get too far behind ..
Yep agree with your post about Rune return game

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not weird. Fandom is a movable feast, and difficult to explain. We're all capable of inconsistencies. So far, I like Mpetchi Parricard because I gave him a hard time just for the name, then he seems to be coming good, and he's a huge underdog making much of his lucky loser. What's not to like? At least for this Wimbledon?

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not weird. Fandom is a movable feast, and difficult to explain. We're all capable of inconsistencies. So far, I like Mpetchi Parricard because I gave him a hard time just for the name, then he seems to be coming good, and he's a huge underdog making much of his lucky loser. What's not to like? At least for this Wimbledon?
Well each to their own I became interested in him because of his unusual surname, coming in as a LL he really has made the most of his game at Wimbledon so far.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know. I've put it there for the fun of it. Lot's of times they do get the odds right, but this time I was surprised, I expected closer odds.

Rune himself is saying that you have to move the guys like Novak out of your way in slams, you have to beat them. It's his own words from the interview late last year on Connors podcast. Now he has a real chance do it, so the big queation is will he rise up and deliver.

Last year against Alcaraz he never got into the match, so I hope he learned from it and will come out playing better this time. I think Novak will be more agressive than previous rounds and will try to put Rune on backfoot from early on.
Oh, I get that you don't trust the odds-makers, based on your post of it.

Rune is young and brash, and as of yet, a bit under-cooked. He may know what he has to do, but can he do it? TBD. He's got the shots to hit through Novak, but not yet the discipline in Bo5 and on grass, if you ask me.

I agree that Novak will come out more aggressive than previous rounds. He's tested the knee against lesser players. Rune should be a different level, and he'll want to get right up on him. He could blow him out in 3 sets, if he's aggressive from the get-go. I don't think he's going to underestimate Rune.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to Novak and his questionable movement, he really needs to be aware after the grass, he will be back on clay, Wimbledon balls are low bouncing, which can play havoc with anyone with a knee problem, then going to clay when you have to laterally slide on the clay isnt a great recipe for anyone with a knee complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.