2024 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with you that Frances is the most charismatic of the US men. And it does matter...tennis is entertainment, and Frances is very appealing. I know he doesn't have many fans around here, but I love him. He looks ready to take on the No. Am. HC swing. Fingers crossed!

I know you like to focus on the girlfriends, which I mostly try to stay away from, but I did look up that thing with Tommy Paul's girlfriend at the Queen's ceremony. "Cringe-worthy" is the phrase that came up a lot. Jeepers! Even Uncle Toni has never jumped onto the court to heft the trophy for the cameras, and he, amongst a lot of other coaches, would have had more right to. I used to think that players have models for girlfriends demonstrated a certain shallowness and lack of imagination, but these "influencers" are really a pain. Life is only worth the photo that documents it.
Well Fritz GFis a influencer isnt she. I mean she posted a video of herself what she does when she comes home from a tournament with Talyor and poor girl has to do laundry like welcome to our world lol!
Frances to me is like Monfils in ways a showman on court, dosent really like the grind of tennis tournaments, entertaining but that dosent make a tennis player me, lets see if he can get decent results for the rest of the year, his year to date has been dismal

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paul and Fritiz PICk women like that.
Nadal and fed don't.
Anyway, an American wont' be winning this.
Pity ALcaraz and Sinner are in the same half, AGAIN. It should have been the final. I guess there's a chance Med or Dimi gets through on the top but not likely.
Have no idea who comes thorough on the bottom. Djok seems washed up, but you never know with him.
Alc looked a little less than his best self today. Hopefully he gets his sht together fast.
I don't see any American making it to the final. Fritz has the best chance, being on the bottom half, but even then, he'd probably meeting either Sinner or Alcaraz in the final. I wouldn't say that Novak is "washed up" just yet, but I don't like his chances for the title this year. It IS a shame that Sinner and Alcaraz are in the same half, but that's the luck of the draw. And lucky for Novak, but I still think Zverev will take him before the final.

Alcaraz was definitely a bit lackluster for most of today, though Tiafoe was in amazing form and serving very well. He sharpened things up in the fifth, and hopefully takes that to the next round. (Opponent TBD, I think.)

Reactions: tossip

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Fritz GFis a influencer isnt she. I mean she posted a video of herself what she does when she comes home from a tournament with Talyor and poor girl has to do laundry like welcome to our world lol!
Yes...in my mind, I was including her. Very irritating, if you bother to pay attention, and I try not to. Plus, if we're going to get personal, Taylor dumped his baby mama for her. He is pretty irritating in many ways.
Frances to me is like Monfils in ways a showman on court, dosent really like the grind of tennis tournaments, entertaining but that dosent make a tennis player me, lets see if he can get decent results for the rest of the year, his year to date has been dismal
I don't think he's exactly a Monfils, in that I think he has more ambition, but does suffer from lack of clarity, sometimes, and can fall in love with going big. Others are guilty of lack of discipline.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes...in my mind, I was including her. Very irritating, if you bother to pay attention, and I try not to. Plus, if we're going to get personal, Taylor dumped his baby mama for her. He is pretty irritating in many ways.

I don't think he's exactly a Monfils, in that I think he has more ambition, but does suffer from lack of clarity, sometimes, and can fall in love with going big. Others are guilty of lack of discipline.
I meant he is a showman on court like Monfils, also Frances plays too much to the crowd at times, losing focus in matches. He also does get up playing top seeds in matches, like he did earlier against Carlos, if he can find that level and consistency player other opponents he can improve his ranking
I think people need to take a Deep Breath where Frances is concerned he came into Wimbledon with a negative and one match which he lost doesnt mean he will turn around his game, lets see what he does in the up coming HC season

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
With the win over Kemanovic at Wimbledon Jannik Sinner has earned 6000 points in 2024
He earned 6490 points during the whole 2023 year

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think people need to take a Deep Breath where Frances is concerned he came into Wimbledon with a negative and one match which he lost doesnt mean he will turn around his game, lets see what he does in the up coming HC season
Nobody said he's the next best thing since sliced bread. We just said he played really well, and seems to be back to good form. Both of those things are true. No one said he's about to win the USO or anything.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nobody said he's the next best thing since sliced bread. We just said he played really well, and seems to be back to good form. Both of those things are true. No one said he's about to win the USO or anything.
Chill please, stop being soo defensive, I was just pointing out the obvious, I have no problem with people pointing out with some of my fav players their minus and positives, enough said, players do their talking with their racquets, one good match dosent equate to me that a player has got back into good form , when you look at his/hers recent results.enough said regarding Frances

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Chill please, stop being soo defensive, I was just pointing out the obvious, I have no problem with people pointing out with some of my fav players their minus and positives, enough said, players do their talking with their racquets, one good match dosent equate to me that a player has got back into good form , when you look at his/hers recent results.enough said regarding Frances
I'm perfectly chill. Some of us Tiafoe fans were having a chat about it. That's all.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hoping that my Bleached Blonde Bombshell Fognini can win the 4th set against Bautiista Agut tomorrow sad that the match was suspended, also the other mens matches
Can Struff come back into his match with Meddy, he dosent mind playing 5 sets matches
Shapo and Shelton didnt get much play in at all , it is like they are starting from scratch in their match up

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Somebody mentioned that Lucas Pouille was back. Indeed he is, and playing De Minaur tomorrow morning.

Reactions: tossip and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Befroe I head off to work back later,

I watched again the highlights of the Alcaraz - Tiafoe match
" Virtually 2 points away from losing the match 0-30 down on his own serve, he comes up with 4 big points in a row to hold, then finds a way to win the match"
Alcaraz has 'ice in his veins' thats Champions play 'they find a way to win'
Well done young man that was soo special!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Befroe I head off to work back later,

I watched again the highlights of the Alcaraz - Tiafoe match
" Virtually 2 points away from losing the match 0-30 down on his own serve, he comes up with 4 big points in a row to hold, then finds a way to win the match"
Alcaraz has 'ice in his veins' thats Champions play 'they find a way to win'
Well done young man that was soo special!
After that 0:30, he ran away and Tiafoe had no chance at all. Alcaraz always raises his level when it matters the most. Champion's mentality indeed.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It would be great to see Holger play today. I don't have any expectations but he knows he can defeat the old man Novak which is paramount..Now he has to find a way to make it to next weekend. I still think he blew an excellent opportunity at RG vs Sascha..

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
After that 0:30, he ran away and Tiafoe had no chance at all. Alcaraz always raises his level when it matters the most. Champion's mentality indeed.
That's what Novak said about him, he can go to that next level..it's one thing to go to that level but to STAY is what champions are made of.. that's what is so frustrating about FAA. He went to that level at RG vs Rafa and stayed for the entirety of the match.. Felix has not produced that type of tennis again. The young Canadian had 3 UFEs in n the 5 set and Lost to Rafa who was able to summon his God like powers to hit 11 plus winners in that set. We saw Carlitos hit over 14 vs Novak's supreme defense last year at Wimbledon in the final set. That's why he is so Great..

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
L. Pouille has withdrawn due to abdominal injury, Alex de Minaur gets a walkover to the 4th round

Ugo Humbert who won the 4th set TB and will face Carlos Alcaraz tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
L. Pouille has withdrawn due to abdominal injury, Alex de Minaur gets a walkover to the 4th round

Ugo Humbert who won the 4th set TB and will face Carlos Alcaraz tomorrow
I feel a little like I jinxed him. He's lost a lot of time to injury.

Speaking of injury, Zverev took a nasty fall late in the 2nd, and seemed to hyper-extend his knee a bit? He's back playing, and leads Norrie 2 sets to love. Seems to be ok enough.

• Wow
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emma Raducanu has pulled out of the mixed doubles match with Andy Murray citing ' a stiff wrist'? Raducanu is in the 4th round in singles she did not want to risk her chances. Emma was cited at practice, so that wrist must not be that 'stiff'
Apparently Andy Murray cannot re-pair by rule, so that is the end of his Wimbledon career!
BTW Rajeev Ram and Katie Volynets are in taking their place.
That mixed doubles match will now be TBA
Roger Federer was in the house to watch Murray's last match at Wimbledon btw.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Shelton wins the 5th set against Shapo 62, Shapo was having knee troubles again had the trainer out
Shelton will play Jannik Sinner in the 4th round

Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
That's what Novak said about him, he can go to that next level..it's one thing to go to that level but to STAY is what champions are made of.. that's what is so frustrating about FAA. He went to that level at RG vs Rafa and stayed for the entirety of the match.. Felix has not produced that type of tennis again. The young Canadian had 3 UFEs in n the 5 set and Lost to Rafa who was able to summon his God like powers to hit 11 plus winners in that set. We saw Carlitos hit over 14 vs Novak's supreme defense last year at Wimbledon in the final set. That's why he is so Great..
What we're seeing with FAA is the same as with Rublev and Tsitsipas. FAA stayed at the same level, while the younger crop of players got better. FAA's level of play is not good enough anymore, especially at the slams.

Status
Not open for further replies.