2024 ATP General News

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The umpire who I respect a lot was following the rules? rules are rules are we gong to keep bending them? players dont respect the rules to start with? this isnt the First time Shapo has lost his temper with fans he has got away with a lot in the past, are we going to allow players to interact with fans while they are suppose to be playing tennis? I dont think so? they are professionals, this kind of action is not professional in my world? I strongly agree with the umpire in this instance, are now going to have Raferty Rules and allow players to carry on like abusive on a tennis court, Players Have To Learn To Shut Fans Out Period?
We will have to agree to disagree,.on this matter it is about time Shapo learnt he cant carry on like Spoilt Brat on Court he is his own worst enemy he needs to grow up? Period!
Maybe that was the problem? He had his period.

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Masters ATP 1000 Montreal,
Sinner (1) defending champion, Zverev (2) Rublev (5) Dimitorv (7) Rune (13) all with good straight sets wins today Thursday 8th August

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic withdraws from Cincinnati ( defending champion) and will not play a warm up tournament before the USO ( source Ollytennis@Olly_tennis)

Novak will lose 1000 points as defending champion and is likely to drop to No 3 in the world

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Raining in Montreal,
Match between Hurkacz (4) vs Kokkinakis has been suspended

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
It should be an interesting last third (or so) of the year. Alcaraz sort of faded out last year after Wimbledon, not winning another tournament and reaching only one final. He'll almost certainly do better this year, but he's had quite a last few months, so also wouldn't be surprised if he slowed down a bit.

Lots of little interesting dynamics and players. I mean, even Perricard in Cincy is interesting. Probably not ready to win a Masters yet, but on those fast courts he's going to be dangerous. Even just looking at Canada, and almost half (seven) of the top 16 are out after the 2nd round. Rune-Zverev could be a fun battle of primadonas.

Back to the overall year, Sinner started so dominant and has played well overall, but Carlos sort of blew by him. I imagine he'll be very strong going into the USO and is my current favorite to win it. But I'm not counting Carlos out, with Novak not far behind.

I'm also still hoping that we see something click in Holger Rune ... it just seems like a matter of time. But he's also in danger of slipping into Berdych territory. Still could go either way.

And of course there's Zverev and Tsitsipas, both of whom have played well this year - at least pretty well. I'm still not writing either off four winning a Slam, despite their dogshit mentalities. They'll hang around as dark-horses for a few years yet. I'd just love to see them meet each other in a Slam final. The angst would be through the roof.

Rublev is a mess, though won his first match in Montreal, and Medvedev hasn't won a big title all year. I don't expect much from either, at least on the North American circuit, but Rublev is such a wildcard at the Masters. I mean, his Masters title this year came amidst a slump and while he was sick. Maybe he got a call from Mr Putin.

A dark-horse is Sebastian Korda. Lost in the Olympics kerfuffle is him winning an ATP 500. Arthur Fils, too - both their first 500. Korda's was a bit limp-dick, though, with his best opponent being Tiafoe. Still, a nice trophy to build on. Fils is one to watch in the late season and into next year - I suspect by this time next year we'll have a better sense of his ultimate upside. I still don't see him becoming a true great, but I suppose he could become a less head-casey Tsitsipas/Zverev "lesser elite."

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play is cancelled in Montreal
3 RD 2 matches still to finish and tomorrows forecast is 'horrendous".
6 seeds fell, Medvedev (3), Tsitsipas (8), Paul (10), Shelton (11), Humbert (12), Khachanov (16)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Stefanos Tsitsipas has made a decision regarding his father as coach? though lets see if this is a permanent decision, he has got rid of his father as coach before and got Mark P, a family friend as his coach, twice, and it did not work out, quite frankly Mark P did nothing to help Stef's game,

"It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that my collaboration with my father as a coach has come to an end.I prefer to keep my father in his role as a father, and only as a father. My father will continue to travel with me and be there to support me".
Sref wrote in Greek social media today. ( another reliable source OllyTennis@Olly_tennis)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cincinnati Update:
OUT: de Minaur, hip injury he suffered at Wimbledon prevails sad to say, Bublik
IN: Marozsan, Giron ( freeing up a WC)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rob,
Though lets see if Stef actually does something about getting rid of his father as his coach, actually his game has really gone backwards this year, I mean there are plenty of good coaches available, after the argument yesterday, Stef Needs to Cut The Apron Strings and find a new coach he should have done that years ago, just posted here that Stef has parted from his Dad, again lets see how long this lasts and/or who will be his new coach, surely not Mark P for the 3rd time, he did nothing for Stef's game before.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ivan Ljubicic ( Federer's former coach) would be a good choice for Tsitsipas, he also lives in MC where Stef lives
'AP, suggested to me he thinks Boris Becker would be a good coach for Stef
Help me if he gets Mark P to coach him again, he did nothing for Stef's game when he was coaching him previously
Also Patrick M is available seeing he and Rune have parted. Patrick M has a 'potty mouth' and loves to take the limelight away from the players he coaches and make it "all about himself" eg when he was coaching Serena Williams.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ivan Ljubicic ( Federer's former coach) would be a good choice for Tsitsipas, he also lives in MC where Stef lives
'AP, suggested to me he thinks Boris Becker would be a good coach for Stef
Help me if he gets Mark P to coach him again, he did nothing for Stef's game when he was coaching him previously
Also Patrick M is available seeing he and Rune have parted. Patrick M has a 'potty mouth' and loves to take the limelight away from the players he coaches and make it "all about himself" eg when he was coaching Serena Williams.
Goran is also free, said he will be ready to work again from September.

Agree on Ljubicic, he could fix Stephanos BH.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Goran is also free, said he will be ready to work again from September.

Agree on Ljubicic, he could fix Stephanos BH.
Don,
I forgot about Goran, good to see he is ready to work again from September
Yep Luby can fix Stef's bhand, look what he did to Feds bhand when he was in charge, Fed wasnt " shanking his bhand as much,' when Luby took over

Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don,
I forgot about Goran, good to see he is ready to work again from September
Yep Luby can fix Stef's bhand, look what he did to Feds bhand when he was in charge, Fed wasnt " shanking his bhand as much,' when Luby took over
That was remarkable work. I remember everyone saying where was this BH before when he needed it.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer