2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shelton sided with Sharpo.. he told the ref and the tournament director that the fan provoked the incident
Dont make me laugh with Shelton? I suggest you go and find the replay of the incident, before making such silly comments,
As a tennis player You Must Shut Out The Crowd Full Stop end of Story!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree Shapo has always been his own worst enemy he has a dreadful temper and he should know by now to Shut out the Crowd he acts like a spoilt brat on court maybe he might learn from now on! though I doubt it !
You are missing the point . the basic premise of the story was Phillips took the incident outside of the game. Sharpo didnt.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You are missing the point . the basic premise of the story was Phillips took the incident outside of the game. Sharpo didnt.
I am talking about the Shapo incident okay please stick to the incident thanks not what Phillips did which has nothing to do with Shapo

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Dont make me laugh with Shelton? I suggest you go and find the replay of the incident, before making such silly comments,
As a tennis player You Must Shut Out The Crowd Full Stop end of Story!
Sometimes MM, You should give someone credit for information .. Here's the replay in regards of my comments.

Reactions: lomaha and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sometimes MM, You should give someone credit for information .. Here's the replay in regards of my comments.

I have already watched it thanks, I still stand by my original comments, I dont comment on things that I dont watch to begin with okay!
If you disagree so be it,!!!

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have already watched it thanks, I still stand by my original comments, I dont comment on things that I dont watch to begin with okay!
Stop with your comments thanks about giving someone credit for information? I stand by my comments, if you disagree so be it.
watch it again,, At 1:35 the poster stated that Ben was an advocate for Sharpo.. Its not about a disagreement.. Remember debate the post not the poster

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
watch it again,, At 1:35 the poster stated that Ben was an advocate for Sharpo.. Its not about a disagreement.. Remember debate the post not the poster
You are testing my patience okay we will have to agree to disagree! stop with the crap of debate the post not the poster
Thats what I was doing in the first instance posting my thoughts, you have posted yours end of conversation this is getting us nowhere.
BTW there are many tennis journalists on social media who agree with my comments on Shapo and his behavior.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think decision to default him seems too harsh given the circumstances. Players get emotional and all that, cursing is the part of it, it was in the heat of the battle. Just recently in Wimbledon Meddy said something terrible to umpire and got away with it.

Ben was having 2 serves and high probability to finish the match. Now no points and no money for all the effort Shapo did. Seems too much. I guess he can appeal for this, get points at least.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think decision to default him seems too harsh given the circumstances. Players get emotional and all that, cursing is the part of it, it was in the heat of the battle. Just recently in Wimbledon Meddy said something terrible to umpire and got away with it.

Ben was having 2 serves and high probability to finish the match. Now no points and no money for all the effort Shapo did. Seems too much. I guess he can appeal for this, get points at least.
He can appeal Don,
A tennis player has to be able to Shut out the Crowd full stop, or not engage in conversation with them, Shapo is known for his temper and this is not the first time he has had an incident with a fan/crowd it happened at the AO, he is his own worst enemy on court and acts like a Brat
BTW Greg Allensworth is a really good umpire.Never makes it about Himself, things occurred, he has to follow the rule book
Its not always about the Umpires's fault, Dennis over the years has gotten away with things, this time it has caught up with him

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay draw for ATP1000 Montreal is out just looking at defending champion draw Jannik Sinner
A lot of the players, who were playing at the Olympics in Paris have decided to withdraw, a quick turnaround from clay back to the HC which is understandable
I wonder if Jannik played Paris would he also play in Montreal

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I did post this news on another post, though it does belong on the ATP News Post
Stan Wawrinka thinking of retiring at the end of this year, well he will be turning 40, last few years injuries have taken its toll on Stan
Stan has had a great career if he does retire at the end of the year, guess we will have to wait for the official news from Stan

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think overall this lends itself to the argument that depending on where you are at on the tennis totem pole, you get away with it. It is the argument lower ranked players make consistently where you see Top 10 players behaving just as badly if not worse, and they get to continue or the consequences are less severe.

To be honest with you, when it comes to the crowd and being obnoxious, I think they should allow tennis players to respond to rude behavior short of threats.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think overall this lends itself to the argument that depending on where you are at on the tennis totem pole, you get away with it. It is the argument lower ranked players make consistently where you see Top 10 players behaving just as badly if not worse, and they get to continue or the consequences are less severe.

To be honest with you, when it comes to the crowd and being obnoxious, I think they should allow tennis players to respond to rude behavior short of threats.
I have to Strongly disagree there about allowing tennis players to respond to rude behavior short of threats, this is a players work place and they have to be professional at all times, players have to be able to 'shut out the crowds or a fan being obnoxious, if you allow a player to respond you are allowing the game to get out of control, there are rules, code of conduct for all players to adhere to, that is why a umpire is there to make sure rules are adhere to, or else you would have "Raferty Rules' You cant make excuses for any player ranked highly or not?
This wasnt the first time Shapo has lost his temper in a match and exploded? he has got away with a lot in previous matches.The Umpire was following the rule book in this case, the onus is on any player, regardless of their ranking full stop.You Cannot Have One Set Of Rules for Higher ranked players and One set of Rule of Lower ranked players this is just Ludicrous!

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I just saw that one of my favorites from the Italian contingent, Cobolli took down Shelton in front of a partisan crowd in Washington DC. Jaw-dropping shots in the highlight reel. I believe this is his first final?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just saw that one of my favorites from the Italian contingent, Cobolli took down Shelton in front of a partisan crowd in Washington DC. Jaw-dropping shots in the highlight reel. I believe this is his first final?
Hi Rob

Yes it is his first final, he will play Korda in the final later today

Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to Strongly disagree there about allowing tennis players to respond to rude behavior short of threats, this is a players work place and they have to be professional at all times, players have to be able to 'shut out the crowds or a fan being obnoxious, if you allow a player to respond you are allowing the game to get out of control, there are rules, code of conduct for all players to adhere to, that is why a umpire is there to make sure rules are adhere to, or else you would have "Raferty Rules' You cant make excuses for any player ranked highly or not?
This wasnt the first time Shapo has lost his temper in a match and exploded? he has got away with a lot in previous matches.The Umpire was following the rule book in this case, the onus is on any player, regardless of their ranking full stop.You Cannot Have One Set Of Rules for Higher ranked players and One set of Rule of Lower ranked players this is just Ludicrous!
This is an article on Tennis.com about the incident. Paul Annacone said he should have let it go, Brett Haber said it's a slippery slope.

I agree that Shapovalov has anger management issues. He was also points away from losing the match, anyway. I'm not sure what the letter of the law is in terms of shouting an obscenity at a fan, provoked or not, but I can almost guarantee you that it's vague. We've seen players be horribly abusive towards umpires in the same way, and get away with a code violation. There are a couple of points worth discussing here: A) is an obscenity directed at a fan more heinous than one directed at an official? If so, is it because they're the paying customers? Because the fans seemed displeased to have had the match stopped at that point. It deprives them of the tennis. Due to one rude fan. B) These violations/DQs are not handed out evenly. It depends on the umpire and the tournament director. C) The ATP is notoriously toothless and spineless when it comes to defaulting players on obscenity charges, or worse. Rublev's DQ was overturned earlier this year, when it was deemed to have been unfair, and it probably was. That one definitely deprived the fans of the resolution of a tight match. In that match, Bublik, (I think it was?) also petitioned the umpire to let the match continue, as Shelton did. A couple of years ago, when Zverev directly attacked the umpire's chair at the end of his doubles match in Mexico, he was rightly defaulted, for a much more aggressive and egregious act, but he wasn't further sanctioned, and went on to happily play Indian Wells. Where is the consistency?

IMO, tennis has to get over clutching its pearls a bit with the swearing. And even with crowd interaction, to some degree. It's a spectator sport, and its school-marmishness made the spectators unhappy. Same as in the Rublev match. That's not good for the sport. And just wait until they say they were wrong and reinstate Shapo's points. I think they should. It's better for the sport. Shapovalov has his own issues, which he should work on, but a code violation would have sufficed, at this juncture of that match.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is an article on Tennis.com about the incident. Paul Annacone said he should have let it go, Brett Haber said it's a slippery slope.

I agree that Shapovalov has anger management issues. He was also points away from losing the match, anyway. I'm not sure what the letter of the law is in terms of shouting an obscenity at a fan, provoked or not, but I can almost guarantee you that it's vague. We've seen players be horribly abusive towards umpires in the same way, and get away with a code violation. There are a couple of points worth discussing here: A) is an obscenity directed at a fan more heinous than one directed at an official? If so, is it because they're the paying customers? Because the fans seemed displeased to have had the match stopped at that point. It deprives them of the tennis. Due to one rude fan. B) These violations/DQs are not handed out evenly. It depends on the umpire and the tournament director. C) The ATP is notoriously toothless and spineless when it comes to defaulting players on obscenity charges, or worse. Rublev's DQ was overturned earlier this year, when it was deemed to have been unfair, and it probably was. That one definitely deprived the fans of the resolution of a tight match. In that match, Bublik, (I think it was?) also petitioned the umpire to let the match continue, as Shelton did. A couple of years ago, when Zverev directly attacked the umpire's chair at the end of his doubles match in Mexico, he was rightly defaulted, for a much more aggressive and egregious act, but he wasn't further sanctioned, and went on to happily play Indian Wells. Where is the consistency?

IMO, tennis has to get over clutching its pearls a bit with the swearing. And even with crowd interaction, to some degree. It's a spectator sport, and its school-marmishness made the spectators unhappy. Same as in the Rublev match. That's not good for the sport. And just wait until they say they were wrong and reinstate Shapo's points. I think they should. It's better for the sport. Shapovalov has his own issues, which he should work on, but a code violation would have sufficed, at this juncture of that match.
The umpire who I respect a lot was following the rules? rules are rules are we gong to keep bending them? players dont respect the rules to start with? this isnt the First time Shapo has lost his temper with fans he has got away with a lot in the past, are we going to allow players to interact with fans while they are suppose to be playing tennis? I dont think so? they are professionals, this kind of action is not professional in my world? I strongly agree with the umpire in this instance, are now going to have Raferty Rules and allow players to carry on like abusive on a tennis court, Players Have To Learn To Shut Fans Out Period?
We will have to agree to disagree,.on this matter it is about time Shapo learnt he cant carry on like Spoilt Brat on Court he is his own worst enemy he needs to grow up? Period!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seb Koda wins his maiden ATP500 title in DC his biggest career title and a new career high of #18 defeating Corbolli 46 62 60
Corbolli will also leave Washington with a career high to world no 33 on Monday

Reactions: nehmeth and Moxie