2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The umpire who I respect a lot was following the rules? rules are rules are we gong to keep bending them? players dont respect the rules to start with? this isnt the First time Shapo has lost his temper with fans he has got away with a lot in the past, are we going to allow players to interact with fans while they are suppose to be playing tennis? I dont think so? they are professionals, this kind of action is not professional in my world? I strongly agree with the umpire in this instance, are now going to have Raferty Rules and allow players to carry on like abusive on a tennis court, Players Have To Learn To Shut Fans Out Period?
We will have to agree to disagree,.on this matter it is about time Shapo learnt he cant carry on like Spoilt Brat on Court he is his own worst enemy he needs to grow up? Period!
I wonder what the rule is, exactly, that the umpire was citing. Do you know? As I said, I'm guessing that it's vague enough for interpretation. They usually are. You have made your opinion on this quite clear, so there's no need to follow ever sentence with an emphatic "Period!" That seems to shut down discussion. It seemed that others were interested in discussing it. I thought I made some interesting points about the inconsistencies in the ATP's system of applying its own rules. Feel free to ignore any follow-up discussion.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder what the rule is, exactly, that the umpire was citing. Do you know? As I said, I'm guessing that it's vague enough for interpretation. They usually are. You have made your opinion on this quite clear, so there's no need to follow ever sentence with an emphatic "Period!" That seems to shut down discussion. It seemed that others were interested in discussing it. I thought I made some interesting points about the inconsistencies in the ATP's system of applying its own rules. Feel free to ignore any follow-up discussion.
I think this is the rule. I think they cited him on Unsportsmanlike Conduct, but I added Verbal Abuse, just to be helpful:

d) Verbal Abuse
i) Players shall not at any time directly or indirectly verbally abuse an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or any other person within the precincts of the tournament site. Verbal abuse is defined as any statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or any other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.
ii) Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000 for ATP Challenger Tour tournaments, $30,000 for ATP Tour 250 tournaments, $40,000 for ATP Tour 500 tournaments, $60,000 for ATP Tour Masters 1000 tournaments for each violation. The maximum fine will increase by one hundred percent (100%) for each consecutive violation during the same calendar year. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match, the player shall be penalized in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule. In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a tournament, or are singularly egregious, the ATP Supervisor may refer the matter to the ATP Members Fines Committee who shall conduct an investigation to determine whether the player Major Offense of Aggravated Behavior or Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game has occurred. Prize money earned at that event shall be held by ATP until the ATP Members Fines Committee has concluded their investigation and made a determination.
Audible Obscenity

1. i) A player shall not use an audible obscenity while on-site. Audible obscenity is defined as the use of words commonly known and understood to be
    profane and uttered clearly and loudly enough to be heard.
  2. ii) Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $5,000 for each violation. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match, the player shall be penalized in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule. In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the suc- cess of a tournament, or are singularly egregious, a single violation of this section shall also constitute the player Major Offense of Aggravated
    Behavior.

Unsportsmanlike Conduct
  1. i) Players shall at all times conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner
    and give due regard to the authority of officials and the rights of opponents, spectators and others. Unsportsmanlike conduct is defined as any misconduct by a player that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the success of a tournament, ATP and/or the Sport. In addition, unsportsmanlike conduct shall include, but not be limited to, the giving, making, issuing, authorizing or endorsing any public statement having, or designed to have, an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interest of the tourna- ment and/or the officiating thereof.
  2. ii) Players and their support team members accredited at any event must comply with the physical distancing and COVID-19 precautionary mea- sures applicable for each event. Any repetitive or blatant breach of those measures may be considered a violation of the code of conduct under this Section or the Major Offense of Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game depending on the severity of the violation.
iii) Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000 for ATP Challenger Tour tournaments, $30,000 for ATP Tour 250 tour- naments, $40,000 for ATP Tour 500 tournaments, $60,000 for ATP Tour

Further down there is also this:

m) Default
i) During the match. The Supervisor may default a player either for a single violation of the Code (immediate default) or as outlined in the Point
Penalty Schedule.

So, it's clear enough what you can't do, in terms of verbal abuse, the point penalties and the fine schedule, and that there is the provision for the Supervisor to immediately default you, if they deem in egregious enough. However, when we read the rules, I think we can all think of flagrant examples of when players have been very abusive, at least to official, with nothing, or no more than a warning, at first offense. Or a code violation, which still offers no penalty, if you don't offend again. Note that it doesn't mention obscenity, but it does mention impugning the integrity of the official. Here, I'm particularly thinking of Medvedev. I'm sure he's done that more than once, but most recently at Wimbledon in the SF v. Alcaraz. They actually considered df-ing him, but I guess it was a Wimbledon SF, with top 10 players, so they didn't. As @PhiEaglesfan712 suggested above...it doesn't seem to be evenly applied. As far as I can tell, Shapo dropped the F bomb with the spectator. Not the same if you drop it with an official, I guess. Then it's just a violation.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think this is the rule. I think they cited him on Unsportsmanlike Conduct, but I added Verbal Abuse, just to be helpful:

d) Verbal Abuse
i) Players shall not at any time directly or indirectly verbally abuse an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or any other person within the precincts of the tournament site. Verbal abuse is defined as any statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or any other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.
ii) Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000 for ATP Challenger Tour tournaments, $30,000 for ATP Tour 250 tournaments, $40,000 for ATP Tour 500 tournaments, $60,000 for ATP Tour Masters 1000 tournaments for each violation. The maximum fine will increase by one hundred percent (100%) for each consecutive violation during the same calendar year. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match, the player shall be penalized in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule. In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a tournament, or are singularly egregious, the ATP Supervisor may refer the matter to the ATP Members Fines Committee who shall conduct an investigation to determine whether the player Major Offense of Aggravated Behavior or Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game has occurred. Prize money earned at that event shall be held by ATP until the ATP Members Fines Committee has concluded their investigation and made a determination.
Audible Obscenity

1. i) A player shall not use an audible obscenity while on-site. Audible obscenity is defined as the use of words commonly known and understood to be
    profane and uttered clearly and loudly enough to be heard.
  2. ii) Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $5,000 for each violation. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match, the player shall be penalized in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule. In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the suc- cess of a tournament, or are singularly egregious, a single violation of this section shall also constitute the player Major Offense of Aggravated
    Behavior.

Unsportsmanlike Conduct
  1. i) Players shall at all times conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner
    and give due regard to the authority of officials and the rights of opponents, spectators and others. Unsportsmanlike conduct is defined as any misconduct by a player that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the success of a tournament, ATP and/or the Sport. In addition, unsportsmanlike conduct shall include, but not be limited to, the giving, making, issuing, authorizing or endorsing any public statement having, or designed to have, an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interest of the tourna- ment and/or the officiating thereof.
  2. ii) Players and their support team members accredited at any event must comply with the physical distancing and COVID-19 precautionary mea- sures applicable for each event. Any repetitive or blatant breach of those measures may be considered a violation of the code of conduct under this Section or the Major Offense of Conduct Contrary to the Integrity of the Game depending on the severity of the violation.
iii) Violation of this section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000 for ATP Challenger Tour tournaments, $30,000 for ATP Tour 250 tour- naments, $40,000 for ATP Tour 500 tournaments, $60,000 for ATP Tour

Further down there is also this:

m) Default
i) During the match. The Supervisor may default a player either for a single violation of the Code (immediate default) or as outlined in the Point
Penalty Schedule.

So, it's clear enough what you can't do, in terms of verbal abuse, the point penalties and the fine schedule, and that there is the provision for the Supervisor to immediately default you, if they deem in egregious enough. However, when we read the rules, I think we can all think of flagrant examples of when players have been very abusive, at least to official, with nothing, or no more than a warning, at first offense. Or a code violation, which still offers no penalty, if you don't offend again. Note that it doesn't mention obscenity, but it does mention impugning the integrity of the official. Here, I'm particularly thinking of Medvedev. I'm sure he's done that more than once, but most recently at Wimbledon in the SF v. Alcaraz. They actually considered df-ing him, but I guess it was a Wimbledon SF, with top 10 players, so they didn't. As @PhiEaglesfan712 suggested above...it doesn't seem to be evenly applied. As far as I can tell, Shapo dropped the F bomb with the spectator. Not the same if you drop it with an official, I guess. Then it's just a violation.
I would say it would come under the Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Section Iv, Article C Item 18
When I said "Period" there was no need for you to take me out of context okay I am a bit sick and tired of your condescending remarks to me when I am putting my thoughts in regards to this subject? or recently regarding racial remarks? this isnt the first time you have done this to me When I say Period it dosent mean shut down discussion at all, you are dismissing what I am saying, like my opinion does not matter? again it is condescending.I have to listen and read your remarks, this is the way you come across to me recently? if I dont agree with you, you dismiss what I am saying, or tell me I have a weak arguement? and tell me I back down, which was your reply to me in the the racist remarks regarding Hewitt, when I told you I had bigger things to worry about? when I lost my temper with you and told you openly what was actually going on in my private life with my husband and his recently diagnosed cancer,, which to me is bigger than racist remarks of Leyton Hewitt?

As I said a player has to 'shut out crowds' and not engage with fans or a fan, it is their work place, it is totally Unprofessional., full stop!
For example working in a hospital like I have done for 40 years, I cannot verbally abuse a patient, who has abused me verbally me in the first instance, can you imagine the 'up roar' if I did? I have the tools to combat a incident like that, it is the same thing with a tennis player it is also their work place which happens to be on a tennis court, they have to be professional and block it out.No excuses.The umpire is there to make sure all players adhere to the rules of tennis, and if they think a player has over stepped the rules or boundary's it is their call to enforce a rule, etc.I have made myself clear on this subject, noone in any work place has the right to verbally abuse anyone, in my work place you are suspended and have to go to counselling, sad to say in today's society people do not have respect for one another, let alone for anyone if authority,, the times I work in emergency we are spat on, physically and verbally abused, tennis players are professionals, like all professionals they should behave as such! we cant keep making excuses for their behaviour, we are actually enabling them, maybe the ATP could look at counselling for serial offenders eg abusive behavour, someone like Rublev who needs counselling for his temper and self harming on court, Zverev is another example and Shapo also needs it as well, he has been lucky in the past to get away with what he has done,.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As @PhiEaglesfan712 suggested above...it doesn't seem to be evenly applied.
Yesterday in OG final, Novak said a very nasty thing addressing the spectator who was making noises I would guess during the points? It was at the change of ends, Novak was sitting in his chair and shouted as loud as he could a few curse words, like ""shut the f**k up, but it sounded way worse than that on serbian. If the officials wanted to translate it and do something they would quickly realize it was worth a verbal abuse.

The rules are definitely not applied evenly for everyone. They seem to pick the easy prey or the usual suspect, but the top players often get away with it.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yesterday in OG final, Novak said a very nasty thing addressing the spectator who was making noises I would guess during the points? It was at the change of ends, Novak was sitting in his chair and shouted as loud as he could a few curse words, like ""shut the f**k up, but it sounded way worse than that on serbian. If the officials wanted to translate it and do something they would quickly realize it was worth a verbal abuse.

The rules are definitely not applied evenly for everyone. They seem to pick the easy prey or the usual suspect, but the top players often get away with it.
Don,
I think it is few are far between that top players get away with things while lower players dont, we cant have rules for different lower ranked players.
Denis Shapo is a serial offender just because he is a lower ranked player to me he dosent deserve to get away with what he did, he has been lucky in the past that he hasnt got serious punishment, btw, he has a bad temper not only towards umpires but to fellow players.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The ATP has answered an appeal from Denis Shapovalov following his default from the QFs at the ATP500 tournament in Washington.The fines committee has affirmed that officials followed the correct procedure in defaulting the player.
However, the committee has concluded that loss of ranking points and prize money which is automatically applied in the case of a default, would be disproportiate penalty in this case.Shapovalov therefore retains QF points and prize money,with a fine of $36,400 applied on the code violation

I have a message for Shapo he could have asked the umpire to remove the fan if he felt the fan was being obnoxious, he might want to follow that guideline for future reference, also keeping his temper would also benefit him no end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
However, the committee has concluded that loss of ranking points and prize money which is automatically applied in the case of a default, would be disproportiate penalty in this case.Shapovalov therefore retains QF points and prize money,with a fine of $36,400 applied on the code violation
There is some justice for Shapo after all.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The rest of the day is cancelled at the ATP Masters 1000 in Montreal rain isnt stopping any time soon. And so the qualies finals will be carried over to Tuesday, along with the start of main draw play

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cincinnati Masters 1000 2024,
Wild Cards,
Marcos Giron
Matteo Berrettini
Reilly Opelka
Qualifying,
JJ.Wolf
M.McDonals
B.Holt
Z.Svajda

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Milos Raonic withdrew from Montreal Masters 1000, late he was warming up and his shoulder which he was having trouble witch didnt improve. Replaced by LL RBA

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The US Open has announced record prize money.A total of $US 75 million, the singles winners will receive $US 3.6 million, while those losing in the 1st round earn $US 100,000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from the USO and confirmed his next tournament will be the Laver Cup ( source Ollytennis @olly_tennis)
Mackenzie McDonald moves into the main draw, after Nadal's withdrawal

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At the Montreal ATP1000,
Gael Monfils who was defending QFs points from 2023, was defeated by Q Kokkinakis 63 63, Monfils will leave the Top 40

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Upsets so far today Thursday 8th August Masters 1000 Montreal,
Nakashima Q d Paul (10) 62 67(5) 61
Davidovich Fokina d Medvedev (3) 64 16 62
K.Nishikori (PR) d Tsistipas (8) 64 64

Personally speaking the transition from the Olympics clay to HC played a toll of those 3 seeds losing, not a lot of turnaround at all., some players not being able to handle the quick transition.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just turned on Canadian where the men's draw is almost in tatters already! Gil Gross of TCC & YouTube fame had Daniil vs Jannik! Medvedev's gone already w/ Rublev hanging on when not at his best! Stefanos is done as well w/ Tommy Paul who went down to a Qualifier! :astonished-face::angry-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just turned on Canadian where the men's draw is almost in tatters already! Gil Gross of TCC & YouTube fame had Daniil vs Jannik! Medvedev's gone already w/ Rublev hanging on when not at his best! Stefanos is done as well w/ Tommy Paul who went down to a Qualifier! :astonished-face::angry-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:
I just posted those results BTW, if you did notice those 3 players, played at the Olympics and there wasnt much turnaround from clay to HC so I am not surprised in the least

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No 2 seed Zverev easily defeated Jordan Thompson who of late has been playing solid tennis, though not today :) Zverev 61 61

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hurkacz who had knee surgery 25 days ago for a torn menisus, doctors advised him he might not play till 2025? he is set to play against Kokkinakis today in Montreal

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW there is trouble in the Tsitsipas household, Stef not happy with his father in his match today against Kei Nishikori who defeated him 64 64
There was confrontation between father and son, Stef had strong words his father, coach Apostolos behaviour.
"I've already been complaining to my coach about my fhand for the last 4/5 days.That was also the reason I had a confrontation with him during the match.I'm not used to it.For me an ATP1000 match is an important match.I need and deserve a coach that listens to me and hears my feedback as a player. My father hasnt been very smart or very good at handling those situations, its not the first time he has done that.I'm really disappointed in him".

Maybe it is time for Stef to Finally Cut The Aprons Strings of his dad (coach) and finally get a proper coach, AP suggested to me Boris Becker would be a good coach for Stef? well Boris is available!