2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP,
Come onto the post for the Olympics I dont know why you and Phil are doing on the ATP News okay? I am watching Rafa and Carlos doubles match they won the 1st set 64

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP1000 Montreal Wild Cards Main Draw,
Shapovalov
Raonic
Diallo
Popsil
Doubles WC
FAA/Galarneau
Pospisil/Shapovalov

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP1000 Montreal main draw ceremony will take place on Saturday August 3, between 4.30 and 6pm local time

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Montreal Update:
OUT: F.Cerundolo, Jiri Lehecka, Alcaraz
IN: Giron, Cobolli, Popyrin

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Montreal Update:
OUT: de Minaur, Struff
IN: Kecanovic, Sonego

Another Montreal Update:
OUT: Musetti
IN: Borges

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Doctors hold Hurkacz he probably wouldn't play before 2025 after having knee surgery, he is set to play Montreal next week?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Shapovalov defaulted on match point and given a code violation for responding to tennis spectator in the stands with an f bomb.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shapovalov defaulted on match point and given a code violation for responding to tennis spectator in the stands with an f bomb.
I watched the highlights of that incident yesterday as I was too caught up in the Paris Olympics, apparently lost his points etc
Dennis should have not responded in the first place, he has to learn to 'shut out' crowds, he has been on the tour long enough to realize that fact.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Zheng was the MENTALLY toughest player in Paris bar none. Zheng became a ball player , put foot to ball and kept trying to make the game uncomfortable for her opponent. Give Vevi credit , Donna has played a great tennis year and should be a top ten player if she stays at this pace. Get some rest MM and come back with some Rafa practicing on hard courts update..

BTW did anyone catch the track and field Mixed 4 X 100 relay.. wow what a dream event for the men and women. I only seen it happen maybe when I was a kid on the track relay teams practicing with the girls.
I have decided to watch my Head Case for awhile though have warned him if he goes into Head Case Mode I will go to bed:)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I am happy for Donna only,she worked hard to be in this position.This is redemption after what she has been through ,being exposed and humiliated by Krygios ,forgetting about her career and being Wawrinkas gf ,injuries and injecting her face with fillers.This medal is a reminder that it's never too late to believe again.
One day Nick is gonna regret how he wasted his extraordinary talent while Stan will be remember as one of the fiercest competitors of his generation.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One day Nick is gonna regret how he wasted his extraordinary talent while Stan will be remember as one of the fiercest competitors of his generation.
Stan is thinking of retiring this year, he will be 40 still he has had a great career.
Nick has been a wasted talent, I have watched him as a junior, another Aussie like Mark P wasting their natural talents as tennis players

Reactions: tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree Tossip, happy for Donna she has worked hard, after her knee surgery she was thinking of quitting this year, also Pam being in her corner convinced her to not give up and we saw how well she played at Wimbledon and now at the Olympics
Here's my stance on quitting.. Players like Borg retired early instead of taking a prolong sabbatical to hit the reset button. When you retire because you are not physically able to compete at a level that you can accept which is perfectly understandable. However when you have the physically ability to compete, you should look deep inside yourself to try to find the will to fight to live for another day, Who wants to live their life thinking about WHAT IF or WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's my stance on quitting.. Players like Borg retired early instead of taking a prolong sabbatical to hit the reset button. When you retire because you are not physically able to compete at a level that you can accept which is perfectly understandable. Who wants to live their life thinking about WHAT IF or WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN!
Dont mention my idol to me, I still have not got over his departure at age 25,
Today tennis is 80% mental, if you are not mentally alert and positive you can have all the shots in the world, it is the mental focus that can get you over the line in matches
Anyway I am watching the mens match and Lorenzo has already broken FAA though it is early days :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Dont mention my idol to me, I still have not got over his departure at age 25,
Today tennis is 80% mental, if you are not mentally alert and positive you can have all the shots in the wolrld, it is the mental focus that can get you over the line in matches
I have to check where we all speculated with El Dude stats that Bjorn would have at least 3 to 4 more RGs. Lendl and Wilander , especially NOAH would not have been able to wash the clay dirt from Bjorn's tennis shoes.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I have to check where we all speculated with El Dude stats that Bjorn would have at least 3 to 4 more RGs. Lendl and Wilander , especially NOAH would not have been able to wash the clay dirt from Bjorn's tennis shoes.
McEnroe would disagree. He said in his biography that in 1985, Bjorn "couldn't hit a tennis ball anymore, his timing and everything had gone."

Also, Bjorn returned in the early 90s, and couldn't even win a match in the challengers. It may have been a good thing that he retired. For some players, they just suddenly lose it. Ask Mats Wilander post-1988. If McEnroe is correct, Bjorn would have had a similar trajectory to post-88 Wilander if he kept player. No way he was going to win another slam.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Stan is thinking of retiring this year, he will be 40 still he has had a great career.
Nick has been a wasted talent, I have watched him as a junior, another Aussie like Mark P wasting their natural talents as tennis players
Wawrinka had a fabulous career,and he played during the most difficult era for anyone outside of the so called big three.He managed to win three slams and a gold medal to top it all.He started off a bit overweight and worked hard enough to trouble the big three.To me his most memorable win was the French Open.
If he retires tomorrow he has fulfilled his potential.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched the highlights of that incident yesterday as I was too caught up in the Paris Olympics, apparently lost his points etc
Dennis should have not responded in the first place, he has to learn to 'shut out' crowds, he has been on the tour long enough to realize that fact.
MM, Years ago there was a MLB player in the 90s named Tony Phillips.. A drunk fan was heckling him talking about Phillips's mother. Tony asked the manager to take him out of the game in the 6th inning. Phillips went inside the clubhouse and change into his regular clothes. Phillips went out to the stands, found the fan, had a quick discussion, the fan shoved Phillips and Tony punched him twice knocking him out Later Phillips was arrested and got bailed out of jail. He said it was worth it jajaja

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
MM, Years ago there was a MLB player in the 90s named Tony Phillips.. A drunk fan was heckling him talking about Phillips's mother. Tony asked the manager to take him out of the game in the 6th inning. Phillips went inside the clubhouse and change into his regular clothes. Phillips went out to the stands, found the fan, had a quick discussion, the fan shoved Phillips and Tony punched him twice knocking him out Later Phillips was arrested and got bailed out of jail. He said it was worth it jajaja
I disagree Shapo has always been his own worst enemy he has a dreadful temper and he should know by now to Shut out the Crowd he acts like a spoilt brat on court maybe he might learn from now on! though I doubt it !

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree Shapo has always been his own worst enemy he has a dreadful temper and he should know by now to Shut out the Crowd he acts like a spoilt brat on court maybe he might learn from now on! though I doubt it !
Shelton sided with Sharpo.. he told the ref and the tournament director that the fan provoked the incident

Reactions: Fiero425