2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Shanghai,
Stan Wawrinka becomes the oldest man to win a Masters 1000 match since Ivo Karlovic at Indian Wells 2019, with a 76(2) 76(2) win over Mpetshi Perricard.
Wawrinka will face Flavio Cobolli next.

Confirmed that Sinner and Alcaraz get a Saturday start, October 5th, in Shanghai ( instead of Friday)

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alcaraz I agree struggles m
It came to me off a sudden, Alcaraz rerminds me of Hana Mandlikova! They're both super-talented, have all the shots, can hit w/ power, & has great touch & feel for the ball; esp. at the net! Hana should never have lost to Evert on any surface; esp. grass, but her head was scrambled w/ too many options! I'll always have Martina Navratilova on top w/ #'s that will never be surpassed including 167 titles in singles & 177 in doubles! The only difference is Carlos ends up working too hard to win matches; sorta like his hero Nadal! He makes it look easy, but he's killing himself out there running down shots unnecessarily! He's a hotdog TBH and it's going to be the premature end of him trying to make the highlite reel w/ every match he plays! No way will he keep this up for 20+ yrs. like the Big 3! Sinner needs to put some meat on his bones! He's another one that works too hard & will probably break down a lot sooner than past champions! :yawningface::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face::anxious-face-with-sweat::face-vomiting:
Yes, Alcaraz is as “flashily” brillant and free flowing as was Hana. OMG shots from every corner of the court.

However, Hana was a real headcase, had no sustained brillance the way Carlos has already demonstrated so far.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, Alcaraz is as “flashily” brillant and free flowing as was Hana. OMG shots from every corner of the court.

However, Hana was a real headcase, had no sustained brillance the way Carlos has already demonstrated so far.
I also don't understand Fiero's comment about Alcaraz running down shots "unnecessarily." Tennis involves a certain amount of running. The other option is what, giving up on shots? Alcaraz is 21. I think we can hold off writing his injury obit, (@Sundaymorningguy, I'm looking at you, too. :face-with-tears-of-joy:) He has areas he can improve, like his serve, his attention lapses, his impatience, but, so for he's doing pretty OK.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I also don't understand Fiero's comment about Alcaraz running down shots "unnecessarily." Tennis involves a certain amount of running. The other option is what, giving up on shots? Alcaraz is 21. I think we can hold off writing his injury obit, (@Sundaymorningguy, I'm looking at you, too. :face-with-tears-of-joy:) He has areas he can improve, like his serve, his attention lapses, his impatience, but, so for he's doing pretty OK.
Moxie,
It is not the first time 'that poster' has made remarks about Alcaraz running down shots 'unnecessarily' you took the bait :)
You and I have discussed earlier that Alcaraz needs to do more stretching and strengthen his quads and lower legs, as he has had issues with his legs in the past.
Yes like all players there are area's in his game, eg his serve, that can be improved, gee he has just turned 21, I think he is doing okay :)
I am back to watching Shanghai, a couple of matches that have me interested is Tsitsipas vs Nishikori, do you realize that Stef has not won back to back matches since the Olympics? these fast courts in Shanghai are fast and suit flat hitters and players with big serves., so I am learning towards Nishikori,
Another match is Fils vs Carballes Baena, how will he fare, he had some brutal matches winning the title in Tokyo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Help Me, Mats Medicated Wilander on social media ( via eurosport)

" When Alcaraz and Sinner are at their best, they're better than the Big 3.There is no way anyone has played better."

I Have No Words Mats! ( the drugs arent working)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Shanghai Tsitsipas records his 200th career HC win in straight sets over Nishikori 76 (6) 64, to go into R3
Lets see if he can break his current voodoo of not been able to win back to back matches since the Olympics!

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This is something impressive per tennis.com

Excerpts:
He’s now 8-1 against Top 5 players this year, the ONLY loss coming to Novak Djokovic in the Olympic gold medal match.

he’s the first player to beat Sinner three times this year—he’s actually 3-0 against him this year after wins at Indian Wells and Roland Garros. No other player has even beaten him twice this year.

Plus now he’s climbed back to # 2 in the rankings behind Sinner.

This years ATP YE finals should be fun.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bad luck for Fils who I thought might not go far considering he didnt have much time to adjust to the new faster courts in Shanghai, and he did have some long brutal matches in his title win in Tokyo. he was defeated in 2 TB sets 76(4) 76(5) by Carballes Baena
Humbert the other finalist in Tokyo had a straight sets win over Cazauz 63 62

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie,
It is not the first time 'that poster' has made remarks about Alcaraz running down shots 'unnecessarily' you took the bait :)
I know that asking Fiero to stop being an old curmudgeon and hater is like howling at the moon, but sometimes he has to be set right. :lulz1:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Shanghai,
19 yo Jakub Mensik. ranked 65, now has 3 consecutive TopTen wins, after defeating No 6 seed Rublev.Into his first Masters 1000 3rd round. ( 2nd time out of 2 career meeting that Mensik has defeated Rublev)

Rain interrupted full playing schedule, as Shanghai has 1 roof, rest of the play scheduled after the Zverev v Mattia Bellucci Q match will be played Sunday 6th October.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
This is something impressive per tennis.com

Excerpts:

Plus now he’s climbed back to # 2 in the rankings behind Sinner.

This years ATP YE finals should be fun.

TCC on "upset alert!" Sinner's lost the 1st set in Shanghai in the 3rd Rd. to Etcheverry! Tomas played a great TB overpowerin' Jannik (7-3)!:face-with-hand-over-mouth::yawningface:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play is suspended for the day on the outside courts in Shanghai, only matches scheduled for stadium court with roof will be played.
9 2nd round matches will be finished/played tomorrow alongside the 8 Top half R3 matches
Apparently Monday's weather forecast dosent look too promising.
Results so far,
Medvedev (5) d Arnaldi 57 64 64
Sinner (1) d Etcheverry (31) 67(3) 64 62 Note: in Jannik's first round match yesterday against Daniel it was is 250 career win,he is the first man born in the 2000s able to reach this milestone.
Alcaraz (3) d WU 76(5) 63
Paul (11) d Tabilo (19) 67(2) 76(6) 62

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Updated Shanghai playing schedule,
Tomorrows order of play consists in the 13 cancelled matches from today (Sunday), no new matches added.
Monday,
9 R2 ( Bottom half of the draw)
4 R3 ( Top half of the draw)
Tuesday,
8 R3 ( Bottom half of the draw)
4 R4 ( Top half of the draw)
Wednesday,
R4 ( Bottom half of the draw)

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This guy Wu played really well against Alcaraz today. He showed some serious firepower from the baseline and troubled Alcaraz in the 1st set. Alcaraz is always a joy to watch so it was an entertaining match.

Novak looked yesterday like he really came to play in Shanghai, not only to show up and lose to whoever. I might be wrong though.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This guy Wu played really well against Alcaraz today. He showed some serious firepower from the baseline and troubled Alcaraz in the 1st set. Alcaraz is always a joy to watch so it was an entertaining match.

Novak looked yesterday like he really came to play in Shanghai, not only to show up and lose to whoever. I might be wrong though.
Some really fun points between Wu and Alcaraz, he has game, especially on the HCs hopefully he can put those injuries behind him now, that kept him off the tour for long periods, and stay healthy going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just caught end of Rune match! He held on to overcome Berrettini! Grigor battled some kid, Bergs earlier winning in 3! So far the best is holding up! Wawrinka played well enough, but at his age, someone like Cobolli would have to donate the match! He didn't so Stan's out as well! No "past era" match-up w/ Djokovic tomorrow! :astonished-face::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::anxious-face-with-sweat::partying-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Day 6 at ATP1000 Shanghai Masters was reduced to 9 singles matches, with play cancelled for the day on the outside courts
All cancelled matches from Monday, which include Tsitsipas v Muller and all doubles matches, have been rescheduled for Tuesday
Tuesday - 12 3rd round singles matches ( hopefully)

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Some really interesting matches coming up tomorrow in Shanghai Masters...

1728390695109.png