2024 ATP General News

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
With Rafa announcing his retirement, Wawrina's tennis future is probably the biggest question left to answer. Does he want to share the stage with Rafa and Andy as part of the greatest Tennis HOF class in 2029, or does he play an age-40 season in 2025 and be the main star of the 2030 HOF class?
I hear what you are saying, but I think the question of whether Novak can win another Slam is bigger - or at least more impactful in terms of the tour and sport as a whole, even if it is a different kind of question. For Stan, it is really only a matter of how many more times he wants to step on court. He's so far from being anything close to an elite player, so even if he eeks it out for another year, it will be more of the same. In other words, the answer to the question doesn't really matter, except in terms of his presence. But with Novak, it potentially impacts the sport in a huge way. We're in a "will he, won't he" as far as returning to greatness. He's been pretty good this year with an Olympics Gold in his trophy room, but overall it has been his worst year since 2017, and the end looks near.

As I said, they're really two different types of questions, but Novak's future is far more impactful to the sport. Going into 2025, variations on the questions are: Is Novak done as a Slam winner or not? Can he recapture enough of what he was to hang tough with Sinner and Alcaraz for a bit longer, or is he more of a dangerous floater at this point?

I do think that 2025 will be his last year, regardless. With Rafa gone, his career accomplishments will remain unequalled for the foreseeable future - for at least a decade or more. Meaning, outside of his ability to defend in any way. If he doesn't win a Slam in 2025, I think it will be clear to him that the time has come - or at least formally retire at the 2026 AO. If he does win a Slam in 2025, it will be a good way to call it a career (#25 in 2025!).

I know, some here have suggested he'll stick around to try to defend his Gold in 2028, but I just don't see it. I mean, maybe?

Reactions: Fiero425

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
:astonished-face: WTF Machac!!! I’ve seen you play like that in much shorter spans and have always had hope for more. But you were out of your mind good in your match with Carlos. It may be that you played one great match and will return to earth, but maybe it‘s dropped a huge chunk of change in the confidence chest that you will be able to tap into going forward.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
:astonished-face: WTF Machac!!! I’ve seen you play like that in much shorter spans and have always had hope for more. But you were out of your mind good in your match with Carlos. It may be that you played one great match and will return to earth, but maybe it‘s dropped a huge chunk of change in the confidence chest that you will be able to tap into going forward.
Hi Rob,

I just finished watching the match, Machac has a world class bhand, a very good offensive player, lets see how he fares against Sinner in the SF

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Alcaraz was made to really work today! I keep telling you guys he extends himself too much! He got away w/ it yesterday vs Monfils, but Tomas wasn't missing & ran Carlito to :rip:. I truly wonder will he have the same issues as Nadal when it comes to playing tennis in the Fall? So far his success has ended in the Summer allowing "old man" Novak to continue his dominance of the FALL season winning another Paris Indoor in '23 & 2 more YEC's, eclipsing Roger who had 6! Djokovic is playing well enough w/ a good draw to maybe acquire his 5th chp. here in Shanghai! He just might add another Paris Indoor & YEC! Ya never know w/ Sinner the main competition! :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::yawningface::partying-face:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Players confirmed for United Cup Tennis
Coco Gauff/Taylor Fritz
Leylah Fernandez/ Felix Auger-Aliassime
Maria Sakkari/Stefonos Tsitsipas
Zheng Qinwen
Alexander Zverev
Casper Ruud
Top 16 countries will be confirmed next week before official draw 21 October

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Taylor Fritz easily defeats David Goffin 63 64 to reach his first SF in Shangai
5th career Masters 1000 SF, 2nd in 2024 after Madrid. Fritz is the first American man born in 1990 or later to reach 5 Masters 1000 SFs.
Virtually qualified for the ATP Finals as well. Big week!
Fritz will play the winner of Djokovic -Mensik in the SF.

2nd QF not before 6.30pm local time
N.Djokovic (4) vs J.Mensik

Reactions: tented

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hi Rob,

I just finished watching the match, Machac has a world class bhand, a very good offensive player, lets see how he fares against Sinner in the SF
In the coming years, I think Alcaraz will usually have Sinner’s number, but will be upset by the random player on a hot streak. Conversely, I think Sinner will be less susceptible. Mahac’s run probably will come to an end.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
In the coming years, I think Alcaraz will usually have Sinner’s number, but will be upset by the random player on a hot streak. Conversely, I think Sinner will be less susceptible. Mahac’s run probably will come to an end.
This year is a case in point:

Alcaraz has lost before the QF in four tournaments; Sinner has reached the QF in every tournament he's played, which is a very rare feat..

Seasons in which a player reached the QF in every tournament played (10 minimum):

Sinner 2024 (14 tournaments)
Djokovic 2015 (16 tournaments)
Federer 2005 (15 tournaments)
McEnroe 1982 (15 tournaments)
Connors 1982 (18 tournaments)
Borg 1980 (14 tournaments)

Rafa did it in 2018, but in only 9 tournaments played. There were several other seasons in which the player was one tournament away.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shanghai Masters 1000 SFs,
Saturday October 12,
Not before 4.30pm,
Sinner (1) vs Machac (30) H2H Sinner 1-0

Not before 7pm local time,
Djokovic (4) vs Fritz (7) H2H Djokovic 9-0

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sebastion Korda who has been dealing with 'elbow issues' has come on social media ( twitter), and has had successful elbow surgery, he hopes to be back on the court soon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Since I am watching 2 SFs at once, ( women SF in Wuhan on at the same time as this match UGH)
Sinner won the 1st set 64 and had only 3 UFE, poor couple of games from Machac towards the end of the 1st set, he did break Jannik first up
Had to laugh Roger Federer watching the match and a fan screamed out Love You Roger, another fan screamed out Love you Sinner and then Machac said "What about Me" laughter broke out in the stadium.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner d Machac 64 75, Machac said to Sinner in the 2nd set " you play too fast, you broke my racket" Sinner replied " oh sorry" lol!
Back to back Masters final of the season
8th final of the season,
Won 20 of his last 21 matches
64-6 in 2024!
With this win Jannik has secured the year end No 1 ranking, also the first Italian man to achieve the year end No 1 ranking.

Jannik will play the winner of the 2nd SF between Djokovic - Fritz, their match not before 7pm local time

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik Sinner (2023-24) has become only the 3rd player in the Open Era to reach 7+ ATP event finals on hard court in consecutive seasons.After Roger Federer (2004-07 14-15) and Novak Djokovic (2011-13 15-16)

Reactions: shawnbm and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner d Djokovic 76(4) 63
3rd win in a row over Djokovic. now 4 all in the H2H, Roger Federer again in the stands, along with Alcaraz and his coach JCF
Played the big points too god offensively for Novak, cool composure, Jannik is the youngest champion in Shanghai history!
17th title
4th Masters title
65-6 in 2024
Jannik Forza!
NOTE: Jannik becomes the first player to win 3 Masters 1000 titles in the same season since Nadal in 2018

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnbm

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik has now won 5 big titles this year, becoming only the 13th player to do so. Most 5 big title seasons:

7 Novak (10, 8, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5)
5 Federer (8, 7, 6, 6, 5)
4 Lendl (7, 5, 5, 5)
4 Nadal (7, 6, 6, 5)
2 McEnroe (9, 5)
2 Laver (6, 6)
2 Sampras (6, 6)
2 Borg (5, 5)
1 Murray (6)
1 Nastase (5)
1 Connors (5)
1 WIlander (5)
1 Sinner (5)

Obviously if he wins either Paris or the WTF, he becomes only the 10th player with a 6 big title season. If he wins both, just the 5th player to win 7. A tall order, though.

EDIT: Added Wilander.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude,
Jannik has showed this year, he has 'ice running though those veins' such composure for a 23 yo also his defense has improved, this year, along with his serve he showed that in many of his matches at Shanghai this week, the fast courts suit his flat linear shots.He played a great composed match in the final!

Reactions: El Dude