2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some drama in Tuesday matches at Shanghai,

I expect a heavy fine for Frances Tiafoe, who at the end of his match told the umpire F ck You, F ck You.Frances received a time violation on his serve from the umpire in the 3rd set TB and ended up losing the match to Safiullin 57 75 76(5)
Frances has come on social media and apologized for his outburst ( as he should)

I had to laugh out loud when Zverev had a go at the umpire saying ( he was playing Griespoor and sadly Zverev won in 3 tight sets)
" Every Grand Slam final I lose because of you guys" after a replay showed he did not get to ball as it was a 'double bounce"

Reactions: Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some drama in Tuesday matches at Shanghai,

I expect a heavy fine for Frances Tiafoe, who at the end of his match told the umpire F ck You, F ck You.Frances received a time violation on his serve from the umpire in the 3rd set TB and ended up losing the match to Safiullin 57 75 76(5)
Frances has come on social media and apologized for his outburst ( as he should)

I had to laugh out loud when Zverev had a go at the umpire saying ( he was playing Griespoor and sadly Zverev won in 3 tight sets)
" Every Grand Slam final I lose because of you guys" after a replay showed he did not get to ball as it was a 'double bounce"
I saw incident with Zverev. He's pathetic, it was a clear double bounce and his comment tells a lot about his personality. His level at the moment is rubbish, not even close to RG final he played this year.

Not sure what happened with Big Foe, I didn't watch, but I see a lot of complaints recently from the players about the shot clock rule.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw incident with Zverev. He's pathetic, it was a clear double bounce and his comment tells a lot about his personality. His level at the moment is rubbish, not even close to RG final he played this year.

Not sure what happened with Big Foe, I didn't watch, but I see a lot of complaints recently from the players about the shot clock rule.
Zverev and his 'entitlement issues' coming to the surface again, honestly he has never owned up to his short comings in his game and always has to blame others, of course it was the umpires fault he has never won GS finals LOL
In regards to Frances,
Frances had tossed the ball in the air, though it was unclear if it was an attempt to serve the umpire wasnt accepting it, it appeared he wanted more time on his serve, , then the umpire gave him a time violation, the umpire announced its the 2nd serve, Frances lost the point and eventually the match,then he went ballistic at the umpire at the end of the match, no player has the right to verbally abuse an umpire, period.The umpire was correct in his calling.
I understand a lot of the players are not liking the shot clock rule, rules are rules, I think Frances was trying to bide more time, on his serve, not the first player to do this at Shanghai mind you, players are going very close to the time allowed for their serves.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Officiating is still inconsistent from match to match! I didn't see it, but I'd lose my mind w/ an umpire calling a X violation on a 2nd serve! :fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Officiating is still inconsistent from match to match! I didn't see it, but I'd lose my mind w/ an umpire calling a X violation on a 2nd serve! :fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:
I suggest you try to find highlights of this match, the umpire was correct in his calling and Tiafoe had no right in abusing the umpire with 4 letter adjectives, at the end of the match, he came on social media and apologized, as he should, he will cop a heavy fine as he should

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner d Shelton 64 76(1)
Jannik reaches his 14th QF of the year
Since losing to Shelton last year at this event he's won their last 4 meetings
62-5 in 2024
Won 18 of last 19 matches

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Despite shoulder pain, Medvedev flashed good shotmaking to close out the match 76(3) 63 over Tsitsipas
Tsitsipas, continuing a pattern of meltdown from some ATP players this week in Shanghai, still ranting at Fergus Murphy, umpire as he walked off the court.
" I hope you get fired. I really wish it" Tsitsipas got a time violation from Fergus in the 2nd set and ranted at him that he probably never played tennis, Fergus replied Yes I have, but probably not as good as you lol!,, Tsitsipas said to Fergus Murphy, " You only give me time violations", Fergus Murphy replied " Well if you watch more matches you'd see it's not only you" :)
Tsitspas another player who suffers from "Entitlement Issues".

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A really entertaining match between Alcaraz and Monfils, great fight from Monfils
Alcaraz gets his revenge, after Monfils defeated him at Cincinnati earlier this year
Alcaraz d Monfils 64 75

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas has that Nick Kygrios vibe to him. Playing tennis isn't his #1 priority in life. He only plays because he's good at it, and doesn't care if he wins or loses. I won't be surprised if he calls it a career at 27 or 28. I kind of get that same feeling with Holger Rune.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good win from David Goffin who defeated the 2nd seed Zverev 64 75, it is David's first Top 10 win in 24 months and he qualifies for the QFs at Shanghai Masters! first Masters QF since Monte Carlo 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shanghai Masters 1000 QFs,

Sinner (1) vs Medvedev (5)
Alcaraz (3) vs Machac (30)
Djokovic (4) vs Mensik
Fritz (7) vs Goffin

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wimbledon News,
Wimbledon has abolished use of line judges in next years championships., they will install electronic line calling on all courts ( source thetimes.com/sport/tennis)

• Love
Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Wawrinka hasn't made it to the QF of a big tournament since 2020.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Despite shoulder pain, Medvedev flashed good shotmaking to close out the match 76(3) 63 over Tsitsipas
Tsitsipas, continuing a pattern of meltdown from some ATP players this week in Shanghai, still ranting at Fergus Murphy, umpire as he walked off the court.
" I hope you get fired. I really wish it" Tsitsipas got a time violation from Fergus in the 2nd set and ranted at him that he probably never played tennis, Fergus replied Yes I have, but probably not as good as you lol!,, Tsitsipas said to Fergus Murphy, " You only give me time violations", Fergus Murphy replied " Well if you watch more matches you'd see it's not only you" :)
Tsitspas another player who suffers from "Entitlement Issues".
These two are too much. I saw what you posted above about Zverev saying that "every Slam final I've lost is because of you guys." Such a rewriting of history! This is not mere entitlement, this is them not owning their own failings in the big moments. (And smaller ones, too.) To me, aside from how disgusting it is as a personal flaw, it is a sure sign that greatness is not in their grasps. Obviously, greatness requires a certain amount of ego, but it requires some humility, too. If you blame everyone but yourself for your failings, IMO, you won't overcome them. I'm continuously disgusted by the two of them.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
These two are too much. I saw what you posted above about Zverev saying that "every Slam final I've lost is because of you guys." Such a rewriting of history! This is not mere entitlement, this is them not owning their own failings in the big moments. (And smaller ones, too.) To me, aside from how disgusting it is as a personal flaw, it is a sure sign that greatness is not in their grasps. Obviously, greatness requires a certain amount of ego, but it requires some humility, too. If you blame everyone but yourself for your failings, IMO, you won't overcome them. I'm continuously disgusted by the two of them.
Agree 100% Moxie
I am Over Those 2 Entitled so called tennis players, Zverev and Tsitsipas, both tared with the 'same brush' maybe they should take a long extended holiday together
I hear the Bermuda Triangle is Nice this time of year! :)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Richard Gasquet has announced that he will retire at the end of Roland Garros 2025 ( source via lequipe)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the 1st QF at Shanghai,
Sinner (1) d Medvedev (5) 61 64, an all round solid performance from Jannik
Medvedev had shoulder problems, like in his previous match yesterday against Tsitsipas
This is Sinners 5th Masters 1000 SF of the year!
Sinner will face either Alcaraz or Machac in the SF

The 2nd QF between Alcaraz v Machac will be not before 6.30pm local time

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Wawrinka hasn't made it to the QF of a big tournament since 2020.
With Rafa announcing his retirement, Wawrina's tennis future is probably the biggest question left to answer. Does he want to share the stage with Rafa and Andy as part of the greatest Tennis HOF class in 2029, or does he play an age-40 season in 2025 and be the main star of the 2030 HOF class?

Reactions: El Dude

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Machac is one of those dark horses, he has really come into his own this season. If he can maintain and develop further, he will be a nasty draw for anyone, and he can be a second week slam contender.