2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It has come down to Alcaraz v Fritz, quite frankly Charley has been the only 'shining light' and played well for Team Europe at this year's Laver Cup, the other players in Team Europe have played poorly.
Side Note,
It is about time Zverev got rid of that 'man bun' !
Has anyone seen Ana Wintour without her dark sunglasses on!

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It has come down to Alcaraz v Fritz, quite frankly Charley has been the only 'shining light' and played well for Team Europe at this year's Laver Cup, the other players in Team Europe have played poorly.
Side Note,
It is about time Zverev got rid of that 'man bun' !
Carlos looks like he worked on his indoor game. He is toying with Fritz.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos looks like he worked on his indoor game. He is toying with Fritz.
Unless Fritz can make a dent in Charley's game this match should be over quickly in straight sets
I still think Charley can improve his serve going forward in his career.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz d Fritz 62 75
Alcaraz clinches the winning match for Team Europe at the Laver Cup
Alcaraz won 8 out of the 13 points for Team Europe on debut!

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Laver Cup over for another year, record crowds attended the matches in Berlin.
In 2025 Laver Cup will be held in San Francisco
Andre Agassi will be the new team captain for Team World
Jannick Noah will be the new team captain for Team Europe

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Laver Cup over for another year, record crowds attended the matches in Berlin.
In 2025 Laver Cup will be held in San Francisco
Andre Agassi will be the new team captain for Team World
Jannick Noah will be the new team captain for Team Europe
Wonder why they didn't promote PMac and Thomas to captain and get AA and Jannick to be co-captain. Maybe you have to be a slam winner to be coach?

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I’m going to be honest with you Laver Cup doesn’t do anything for me. Maybe because it is the same people playing again and again. I’m like ‍eh.
It's an extremely organized and highly successful exho. I had the pleasure of going when Chi town hosted it. Expensive, but a really nice weekend. There's not anything like it. Davis Cup, you are fighting for your country. Same can be said for the Hopman or ATP Cup. This is the only place where you'll see all Euro on the same bench or USA/So America/Oz/Canada on the same bench

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wonder why they didn't promote PMac and Thomas to captain and get AA and Jannick to be co-captain. Maybe you have to be a slam winner to be coach?
I dont what the selection protocol is for being Captains for the Laver Cup, maybe I can do a bit of researching and find out, the new Team Captains were announced before the start of the Laver Cup in 2024

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, my bad, Yannick, the one slam French wonder.

France hasn't gotten that close to winning a slam since. I don't count JWT making the Oz final because he basically had no chance against Djoke.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yes, my bad, Yannick, the one slam French wonder.

France hasn't gotten that close to winning a slam since. I don't count JWT making the Oz final because he basically had no chance against Djoke.

Well, one Major win is better than none! This is right up there w/ A-Rod winning his HOME major event! Yannick & the country were very happy! :partying-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kskate,
After researching it appears that it is by 'invitation' that the Team Captains for Laver Cup are selected.
Laver Cup chaiman and teams CEO Tony Godsick said he was delighted that Jannick Noah ( for example) accepted the invitation to Captain Team Europe in 2025.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's an extremely organized and highly successful exho. I had the pleasure of going when Chi town hosted it. Expensive, but a really nice weekend. There's not anything like it. Davis Cup, you are fighting for your country. Same can be said for the Hopman or ATP Cup. This is the only place where you'll see all Euro on the same bench or USA/So America/Oz/Canada on the same bench
I agree that it's fun to watch.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kskate,
After researching it appears that it is by 'invitation' that the Team Captains for Laver Cup are selected.
Laver Cup chaiman and teams CEO Tony Godsick said he was delighted that Jannick Noah ( for example) accepted the invitation to Captain Team Europe in 2025.
Not surprised it's by "invitaton." This is Roger's (and Godsick's) show.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Laver Cup 2024 by the numbers,
Over 60,000 fans from 82 countries
Added 3,000 temporary seats to regular capacity
150 acredited media from 25 countries
Broadcasted to 218 territories
More than 30 million social media interactions
2.2 million website views.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Beijing Update,
OUT: Zverev
IN: Kecmanvic

Stan Wawrinka receives wild card into the main draw ATP500 Beijing

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
35 yo Marin Cilic defeated Zhang Zhizhen at the Hangzhou Open 76(5) 76(5) to won the 21st career title of his career, first in 3 years and becomes the Lowest Ranked Player to Ever win an ATP title.

19 yo old Shang Juncheng defeated Lorenzo Musetti 76(4) 61 to win his first career title at the Chengdu Open. The Chinese teenager played with poise making history as the first ever man born in 2005 or later to win an ATP title

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
35 yo Marin Cilic defeated Zhang Zhizhen at the Hangzhou Open 76(5) 76(5) to won the 21st career title of his career, first in 3 years and becomes the Lowest Ranked Player to Ever win an ATP title.
Cilic showed what a player he used to be this week. Hope he can build on this and stay injury free.
19 yo old Shang Juncheng defeated Lorenzo Musetti 76(4) 61 to win his first career title at the Chengdu Open. The Chinese teenager played with poise making history as the first ever man born in 2005 or later to win an ATP title
I like Shang, watched him couple of times. Nice left hand and good tennis IQ. He is a bit on a shorter side, not the typical new player 190cm or taller. I think he and Mahac are the only "shorter" players from all upcoming young guys. There is Van Asche too, but he is not progressing..