2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Goodness me Lorenzo is playing out of his mind, in a good way of course leads Michelsen 5-0 in the lst set
Lorenzo wins the first set with a bagel !
Hmmmm there is no need for Michelsen to hit a ball into the crowd, in anger missing a volley? and the women he hit just brushed it off? the umpire went to the fan and asked if she was okay and she said yes? geez I have seen players get defaulted for less,
Umpires Have To Be Consistent with the rule for starters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Under the rule he should have been defaulted? the umpire let him remain on the court. Unbelievable!
Players Have To Stop Hitting Balls Into Crowds Full Stop!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Lorenzo Sonego who won the title in Winston Salem with a impressive 60 63 over Michelsen
Michelsen can count himself lucky, after sending a ball into the stadium, after missing a volley in anger and hit a women he Should Have Been Defaulted!
Instead the umpire Aurelie Tourte went to the fan and asked if she was okay? and she said she was okay, then Michelsen was allowed to stay on court.
Umpires Have To Be Consistent with The Rule Period!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Congratulations to Lorenzo Sonego who won the title in Winston Salem with a impressive 60 63 over Michelsen
Michelsen can count himself lucky, after sending a ball into the stadium, after missing a volley in anger and hit a women he Should Have Been Defaulted!
Instead the umpire Aurelie Tourte went to the fan and asked if she was okay? and she said she was okay, then Michelsen was allowed to stay on court.
While I don’t think it’s right when tennis players go off on officials, this is an example of why tennis players rage at them. Shapovalov was defaulted for shouting an obscenity at a fan that was fan initiated. Michelsen hits a fan with the ball and is allowed to continue. I used to feel sorry for officials, but now I am kind of like you get what you deserve if you aren’t going to be consistent enforcing rules.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven't seen it, but the way you've described it that should be an automatic default, no questions asked.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
While I don’t think it’s right when tennis players go off on officials, this is an example of why tennis players rage at them. Shapovalov was defaulted for shouting an obscenity at a fan that was fan initiated. Michelsen hits a fan with the ball and is allowed to continue. I used to feel sorry for officials, but now I am kind of like you get what you deserve if you aren’t going to be consistent enforcing rules.
If you go back and read the review committee and their verdict on the appeal of Shapo, they said the umpire was correct in defaulting Shapo I believe it is on this post.
To me players cannot hit balls into the crowd full stop. In Michelsens case he hit the ball in anger after missing a volley, and hit a woman? he Should have been Defaulted there and then, the lunacy of this situation was the umpire went up to the woman in question and asked if she was okay? she said yes and the umpire allowed Michelsen to stay. I could not believe it, or other journalists who came on Twitter regarding the situation. The umpire in question is a very experience umpire, I was shocked!
The Umpires have to be Consistent in rulings Full Stop! especially in cases like this, in anger or by accident the player is defaulted if their ball hits a person in a stadium, lucky the lady in this incident was okay? what happened if she wasnt!

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe Shapo is that kind of player that umpires enjoy penalizing especially after he hit an umpire with the ball during Davis Cup.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jack Draper has parted ways with Wayne Ferreira after 4 months.He says the time they spent together was valuable but found it difficult with 2 voices, preferring the single voice of his long time coach James Trotman

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Saudi "Six Kings' Exhibition is now confirmed to take place from October 16-19th, with the 18th being a day off, as ATP rules dont allow players to play 3 consecutive days of exhibition.
Djokovic, Alcaraz, Sinner, Medvedev, Rune and Nadal are participating,
The winer is estimated to take home $6 million, more than double the Wimbledon prize money, all players are guaranteed $1.5 million. ( source OllyTennis@olly-tennis)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emil Ruusuvuori ( aka Vowel Dude) is shutting down his season to cocentrate on healing physically and his mental health.The Fin has struggled with a back injury since January.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic is expected to return to the Rolex Shangai Masters ( 2-13 October) this year for the first time in 5 years.The Serbian would join Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz in the draw of a Masters 1000 he hasnt attended since 2019.Djokovic holds a 34-5 there and has clinched the title 4 tmes

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Laver Cup News,

I have already posted the news on the Rafa Nadal Fan Post, , that Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from Team Europe, Captain Borg has yet to make an replacement for Nadal,
Francisco Cerundolo and Thanasi Kokkinakis will represent Team World in Berlin, Captain John MacEnroe has selected them to replace Alex de Minaur and Tommy Paul, who have withdrawn due to injury

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems like Joao Fonseca will be a force to be reckoned with in the future! Winning a DC match at the age of 18 is not easy to do even if DC is not used to be.

I can’t wait to see the development of both Fonseca and Mensik together!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It is now official,
Jannik Sinner has hired Novak Djokovic's former physical trainer Marco Panichi to his team. They will begin working together from Monday
( source sky.it./tennis/2024/09).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz, Shelton, Pegula, and Navarro headline MSG Garden Cup in a one night tennis exhibition Wednesday December 4

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
you'll see
Jannik has the right to hire whoever he pleases, nothing to do with Front or anyone quite frankly, this hiring as been in the pipeline for weeks and it was confirmed today btw.Panichi has been a long time trainer of Novak, and their partnership ended earlier this year

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Grigor Dimitrov will represent Team Europe in Berlin at the Laver Cup, he replaces Rafa Nadal who has withdrawn