Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I need for double H to win this one so I can begin my work week in Peace

I'm not greedy! It'll be nice if Novak adds to his totals as his detractors make up reasons for his good fortune! If he blows it, I won't mind! CYGS commentary would be off the charts on every sports talk show! I can do w/o that since these anchors are clueless concerning the game! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hear you and don't disagree with your caution, but I see a mentality in Rune that was (is) lacking in Tsitsipas and Zverev. He seems to have "It" - be it a cocky arrogance that is backed up, a championship mentality, etc.

I see Sinner on a lower level than Alcaraz and Rune. As I said several months ago, he appears a bit fragile - and his frequent injuries seem to support that notion. I really like his calm demeanor on court, and in some sense he's more of a Child of Federer (at least in that regard), and I do think he'll be an eventual Slam winner, but ten years from now, I see there being a significant gap between Alcaraz/Rune and Sinner, in terms of Slams and such.

Or to offer a fearless prediction, if I were to guess right now at eventual Slams won: Alcaraz 10, Rune 7, Sinner 3. All could win more or less, but that's what my gut tells me. I reserve the right to change that prediction! ;)
Well , ElDude, Tsitsipas & Zverev DO have tons of arrogance, unfortunately its mostly off court. ; )

To be fair, when Zverev started winning M1000 titles at the age of 20 years old, we thought he had the mentality too because he was beating Djokovic, Federer and almost beat Nadal.

Similar to Tsitsipas also. He reached the Barcelona Open Final and Canada Final at the age of 19-20. And he beat Federer at the 2019 AO 4R as a 20 year old.

In hindsight what bothered many about Zverev even then has come to roost, yes he won the Italian Open at age 20 but then promptly lost in the 1st round of the FO. He won the Canadian Open that same year on HC and then lost in the 2nd round of the USO. It took his 12th Major to finally reach a Slam QF and that’s all he had for his first 15 Slams. So the legit questions about handling the pressure at the very highest levels was always there for Zverev. The 2021 USO SF versus Djokovic, i felt it was there for him to take that match , Novak was clearly feeling the pressure; he had just beat Novak at the Olympics but Zverev blinked. Really his only big Slam victory was upsetting the relatively inexperienced Alcaraz at the French last year which in typical Zverev now has him proclaiming in revisionist history he was going to win that tournament, LOL.

Alcaraz is clearly heads & shoulders over the next generation, and getting to career milestones so early ( Slam winner, YE # 1, multiple Masters) gives him an edge in now simply trying to balance the expectations.

Rune is still on the upswing learning curve, has to make the final breakthrough but like Alcaraz there are good indicators; I can see him being top 4 by year end, if not sooner. Plus he already has a winning record versus top 10 players at age 20.

Yet when a young player pushes through, it sometime just happens with no logical gradual buildup. Look at Sampras.

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
maybe not. Hubi just choked on 2 SP's and now he's down a SP
Hubi was serving on insane level, but choked in most important moments. He declined a lot when the ball is in play, he can barely win a point from the baseline. When his serve starts to crack he is done.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the next 2 sets should go quickly. I can't see Hubi being able to dent Djoke's momentum.
Tale as old as time, isn’t it? If he won the first, he’d falter at a certain stage in the second then get run for the rest of it. It’s not a shock any more, that players have one shot at it, and sometimes even when they take that, they’re not strong enough to maintain it…

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is how tough it is to play against Djokovic. I thought Huuuuurrkacz was going to win the first set.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tale as old as time, isn’t it? If he won the first, he’d falter at a certain stage in the second then get run for the rest of it. It’s not a shock any more, that players have one shot at it, and sometimes even when they take that, they’re not strong enough to maintain it…
Remind me again people always lamenting about the “weaker” state of the womens game when you actually have some legit contenders over there. I can see at least 4 to 5 WTA players who have a chance to hold the Rose trophy.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well , ElDude, Tsitsipas & Zverev DO have tons of arrogance, unfortunately its mostly off court. ; )

In hindsight what bothered many about Zverev even then has come to roost, yes he won the Italian Open at age 20 but then promptly lost in the 1st round of the FO. He won the Canadian Open that same year on HC and then lost in the 2nd round of the USO. It took his 12th Major to finally reach a Slam QF and that’s all he had for his first 15 Slams. So the legit questions about handling the pressure at the very highest levels was always there for Zverev. The 2021 USO SF versus Djokovic, i felt it was there for him to take that match , Novak was clearly feeling the pressure; he had just beat Novak at the Olympics but Zverev blinked. Really his only big Slam victory was upsetting the relatively inexperienced Alcaraz at the French last year which in typical Zverev now has him proclaiming in revisionist history he was going to win that tournament, LOL.

Alcaraz is clearly heads & shoulders over the next generation, and getting to career milestones so early ( Slam winner, YE # 1, multiple Masters) gives him an edge in now simply trying to balance the expectations.

Rune is still on the upswing learning curve, has to make the final breakthrough but like Alcaraz there are good indicators; I can see him being top 4 by year end, if not sooner. Plus he already has a winning record versus top 10 players at age 20.

Yet when a young player pushes through, it sometime just happens with no logical gradual buildup. Look at Sampras.
That’s why I will just enjoy the process for both Rune and Sinner.

If they are still somewhat stuck in the QF/SF range after 2024, then I will change my tune on both of them.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Remind me again people always lamenting about the “weaker” state of the womens game when you actually have some legit contenders over there. I can see at least 4 to 5 WTA players who have a chance to hold the Rose trophy.
That’s a good point, to an extent. I don’t think we have any truly great players there at the moment - Iga is on the way - and nor do we have the promise of players like Charley and Holger. The men’s game might be in a period where the youngsters need to catch up, but I’d say it’s still far more interesting and competitive than the Dames Simple..

Status
Not open for further replies.