2023 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Korda has been a shadow of where he was going before the wrist injury. From what I’ve seen, if he ever gets back on track, it will take a while.
Hopefully he doesn't have Delpotroitis.

• Sad
Reactions: nehmeth

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is that really a thing with a player who just turned twenty? We have exactly one Slam where he appeared to run out of gas because of a previous long match, but that IMO hardly counts as statistically a track record for being “inefficient”.

If anything, someone that young is usually still trying to learn the ropes of being a tour regular.
You are correct, Jelenafan. And I know you are big Rune fan. But I was trying to imply (in a constructive criticism manner) that Rune still needs to learn on how to manage his body and mind if he wants to go deep in Slams consistently. However, I give him 100% credit for be a fierce competitor at his young age. I will never question that from him.

Don’t worry, I say that to Sinner and Alcaraz (even though he is in a different level than the other two obviously).

Just my two cents

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hopefully he doesn't have Delpotroitis.
I didn’t mention that at all as I didn’t want to jinx Korda. Juan was a favorite of mine. He was like a male version of Davenport with the most beautiful clean strokes… only he was a much better mover. :lol6: It was gutting to watch him journey through everything he endured.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn’t mention that at all as I didn’t want to jinx Korda. Juan was a favorite of mine. He was like a male version of Davenport with the most beautiful clean strokes… only he was a much better mover. :lol6: It was gutting to watch him journey through everything he endured.
Yup. I think Del Potro had a legit shot of turning the Big Four into a Big Five - he was the most talented of the Rafa-Novak-Andy cohort (other than those three) and, if not for injury, likely would have won several Slams.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yup. I think Del Potro had a legit shot of turning the Big Four into a Big Five - he was the most talented of the Rafa-Novak-Andy cohort (other than those three) and, if not for injury, likely would have won several Slams.
Early on he had a lame serve, but made it into a weapon... He had the challenges of being as big as he was and worked on his footwork and speed. He had confidence problems and would get tight in matches and he pressed through all that. He was as diligent and disciplined a guy as you could hope for. It was a loss for the sport when his body betrayed him.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Dimi-Rune are third on court one tomorrow. Medvedev is up first on that court.

Charley-Babycakes are third on Centre.

Tsitsipas faces whoever out of the graveyard court..
Dude we as Men don't EVER reference any male tennis players as "Babycakes "! Don't let Keli, Moxie and their female Mafia influence you. I reference him as Seniore' jajaja.

Carlitos may wipe the court with him

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No it was Always Stan who has the talent and results..JMDP could Always catch a jaded player later in a GS like he did Rafa and Roger but he wasn't a real threat in my opinion.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You are correct, Jelenafan. And I know you are big Rune fan. But I was trying to imply (in a constructive criticism manner) that Rune still needs to learn on how to manage his body and mind if he wants to go deep in Slams consistently. However, I give him 100% credit for be a fierce competitor at his young age. I will never question that from him.

Don’t worry, I say that to Sinner and Alcaraz (even though he is in a different level than the other two obviously).

Just my two cents
I hearya, but again fandom aside, statistically speaking Holger Rune has had 3 five set matches in his entire Slam career. The 5 setter in the 4th round of the AO versus Rublev and the 5 setter again in the 4th versus Cerrundulo at the FO, & now the one here versus Fokina in the 3rd round. So a record of 2-1. Is that really a stat that sticks out for a 20 year old in his first full year on the tour?

All I’m saying is there still is not enough of a track record to establish a pattern yet. This is the first year, barring injury, he’s going to play all the Slams & most of the Masters.

Again, statistically he lost to the higher seeded player ( Rublev & Ruud) in the last two slams he entered (unlike that slacker Alcaraz who lost to the lower seeded Djokovic at the French ; ) )

To put it in perspective, this is Rune’s 8th main draw Slam, versus Alcaraz’s 10th & Sinner’s 15th.

However if Holger is going to make that quantum leap to a bonafide champhion, again statistically, the clock is ticking because he’s a top 6 player now and the weight of expectations is clearly on his shoulders.

Here is a sobering stat: for at least the last 50 years only one player has won multiple slams who did not reach his first Major final by age 22, Stan Wawrinka.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hearya, but again fandom aside, statistically speaking Holger Rune has had 3 five set matches in his entire Slam career. The 5 setter in the 4th round of the AO versus Rublev and the 5 setter again in the 4th versus Cerrundulo at the FO, & now the one here versus Fokina in the 3rd round. So a record of 2-1. Is that really a stat that sticks out for a 20 year old in his first full year on the tour?

All I’m saying is there still is not enough of a track record to establish a pattern yet. This is the first year, barring injury, he’s going to play all the Slams & most of the Masters.

Again, statistically he lost to the higher seeded player ( Rublev & Ruud) in the last two slams he entered (unlike that slacker Alcaraz who lost to the lower seeded Djokovic at the French ; ) )

To put it in perspective, this is Rune’s 8th main draw Slam, versus Alcaraz’s 10th & Sinner’s 15th.

However if Holger is going to make that quantum leap to a bonafide champhion, again statistically, the clock is ticking because he’s a top 6 player now and the weight of expectations is clearly on his shoulders.

Here is a sobering stat: for at least the last 50 years only one player has won multiple slams who did not reach his first Major final by age 22, Stan Wawrinka.
Just like Sinner, I don’t have high expectations for Rune yet in terms of reaching Slam SF/F consistently. The reason for that is we did that with Tsitsipas and Zverev when they were younger and they haven’t panned out.

Now, both Rune and Sinner do need to reach at least a single Slam Final appearance in the next six slams in order for them to match our expectations.

It will be interesting on how both players handle the next 1.5 year on the tour.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nagging question about Bublek’s knee high sock. Is it a compression sock for some kind of injury/circulation problem or is it Kazakh gangsta garb? I’ve been looking around and haven’t been able to find anything.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Just like Sinner, I don’t have high expectations for Rune yet in terms of reaching Slam SF/F consistently. The reason for that is we did that with Tsitsipas and Zverev when they were younger and they haven’t panned out.

Now, both Rune and Sinner do need to reach at least a single Slam Final appearance in the next six slams in order for them to match our expectations.

It will be interesting on how both players handle the next 1.5 year on the tour.
I hear you and don't disagree with your caution, but I see a mentality in Rune that was (is) lacking in Tsitsipas and Zverev. He seems to have "It" - be it a cocky arrogance that is backed up, a championship mentality, etc.

I see Sinner on a lower level than Alcaraz and Rune. As I said several months ago, he appears a bit fragile - and his frequent injuries seem to support that notion. I really like his calm demeanor on court, and in some sense he's more of a Child of Federer (at least in that regard), and I do think he'll be an eventual Slam winner, but ten years from now, I see there being a significant gap between Alcaraz/Rune and Sinner, in terms of Slams and such.

Or to offer a fearless prediction, if I were to guess right now at eventual Slams won: Alcaraz 10, Rune 7, Sinner 3. All could win more or less, but that's what my gut tells me. I reserve the right to change that prediction! ;)

Reactions: Kieran and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
a Child of Federer
IMG_3002.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hear you and don't disagree with your caution, but I see a mentality in Rune that was (is) lacking in Tsitsipas and Zverev. He seems to have "It" - be it a cocky arrogance that is backed up, a championship mentality, etc.

I see Sinner on a lower level than Alcaraz and Rune. As I said several months ago, he appears a bit fragile - and his frequent injuries seem to support that notion. I really like his calm demeanor on court, and in some sense he's more of a Child of Federer (at least in that regard), and I do think he'll be an eventual Slam winner, but ten years from now, I see there being a significant gap between Alcaraz/Rune and Sinner, in terms of Slams and such.

Or to offer a fearless prediction, if I were to guess right now at eventual Slams won: Alcaraz 10, Rune 7, Sinner 3. All could win more or less, but that's what my gut tells me. I reserve the right to change that prediction! ;)
To be fair, when Zverev started winning M1000 titles at the age of 20 years old, we thought he had the mentality too because he was beating Djokovic, Federer and almost beat Nadal.

Similar to Tsitsipas also. He reached the Barcelona Open Final and Canada Final at the age of 19-20. And he beat Federer at the 2019 AO 4R as a 20 year old.

Overall, I do think Rune has a better “it” factor than both players above, but I don’t want to put high expectations on him yet.

As for Sinner, if he wins multiple slams, maybe 7 to 8 M1000 titles and become no.1 player in the world, I will be super happy. As long he doesn’t become FAA (career wise) or Dimitrov, I will be happy.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak starting late tonight, but hard to see him finish again before the curfew.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425
Status
Not open for further replies.