2023 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Halys deserved it! Maybe this will springboard him into a new level of play! Ya never know! Evans needed to keep spiraling down! :astonished-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:
I think the 27th seed might have benefited from having his Brit-on-Centre-Court privileges removed. It was ridiculous that he was there. He might have done better if he’d been scheduled on an outside court.

He’d at least have lasted until tomoro… :popcorn

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So you’re saying every court needs a cover.
I’m saying that some of the seemingly intractable “traditions” of Wimbledon can run contrary to a) common sense b) a spirit of accommodating both the players and the spectating public and c) simple logistics and planning.

If an outdoor venue for W is so sancrsant, then delay the finals until it can be played only outdoors, but in that case, Wimbledon says tradition be hanged, we got TV money $$$$$ so let’s close the roof.

If hallowed British traditions like the actual last name of the friggin Royal family can be charged, than start again
Rain delayed matches earlier in the day before the scheduled regular match and you squeeze comfortably more matches in aroofed stadium, but of course that common sense trumps tradition so they can’t have that.

Tented, give me the name of your employer, I’m going to insist they impose a “ white attire only” day at the company for you. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Loved this reaction from Etcheverry who played a 5 set match and won in over 4 hours and 30mins
He was told he had to play Stan Wawrinka tomorrow?
He said "What I have to play again" lol! poor guy!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m saying that some of the seemingly intractable “traditions” of Wimbledon can run contrary to a) common sense b) a spirit of accommodating both the players and the spectating public and c) simple logistics and planning.

If an outdoor venue for W is so sancrsant, then delay the finals until it can be played only outdoors, but in that case, Wimbledon says tradition be hanged, we got TV money $$$$$ so let’s close the roof.

If hallowed British traditions like the actual last name of the friggin Royal family can be charged, than start again
Rain delayed matches earlier in the day before the scheduled regular match and you squeeze comfortably more matches in aroofed stadium, but of course that common sense trumps tradition so they can’t have that.

Tented, give me the name of your employer, I’m going to insist they impose a “ white attire only” day at the company for you. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Their traditions aren’t intractable though. They’ve added a couple of roofs, they brought in tiebreaks after others had shown they work, they dropped their own peculiar seeding system. They kept the all-white rule - which I like - but I also like that they’ve made a concession to the ladies with regards to underwear there.

They run a great tournament. I’d imagine they apply common sense as well as they can. Far as I know, it’s not unusual that if a day is rain delayed, then there’s no guarantee that the players affected by the rain delay get to bump the scheduled players for that day off the court. The affected players get facilitated eventually anyway, and since there’s only one day affected so far, it’s not going to be a huge problem.

There are slams where matches finish at 4am. Now that’s a bad tradition to have…

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
And a 250, at that. He had these two things in common with Tiafoe - a 250 tournament victory, and now he’s one of the favourites at Wimbledon… :lol6:
But did he ever beat Rafa then take Alcaraz into deep waters in the same slam? If not, then pump the breaks because he's not on the same level as Tiafoe just yet.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
But did he ever beat Rafa then take Alcaraz into deep waters in the same slam? If not, then pump the breaks because he's not on the same level as Tiafoe just yet.
Well that’s true. There’s a whole 2 other 250s between them. If he wins a 500 he levels the game there. The pair of these are great rivals now, when you think about it..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Loved this reaction from Etcheverry who played a 5 set match and won in over 4 hours and 30mins
He was told he had to play Stan Wawrinka tomorrow?
He said "What I have to play again" lol! poor guy!
I do think Stan played well on Monday, but at his age this is rather a nice potential advantage for him. I do feel for Etcheverry. You know Stans going to run him around, if he can, test those legs early. Oh, and it looks like that was his first ever win on grass. I don't like his chances.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I do think Stan played well on Monday, but at his age this is rather a nice potential advantage for him. I do feel for Etcheverry. You know Stans going to run him around, if he can, test those legs early. Oh, and it looks like that was his first ever win on grass. I don't like his chances.
I also feel for him, remember these are tennis professionals and have to be able to cope with weather delays like what happened today at Wimbledon, the forecast was for rain and the weather forecast was correct, we cant control the weather, they did have covers on, then the rain eased off and came back again pronto, the officials made the correct decision to cancel all play on the outside courts. they only have 2 roofs, they could have started matches earlier, seeing the forecast was bad, they didnt,
The forecast for the next 2 days is good.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I also feel for him, remember these are tennis professionals and have to be able to cope with weather delays like what happened today at Wimbledon, the forecast was for rain and the weather forecast was correct, we cant control the weather, they did have covers on, then the rain eased off and came back again pronto, the officials made the correct decision to cancel all play on the outside courts. they only have 2 roofs, they could have started matches earlier, seeing the forecast was bad, they didnt,
The forecast for the next 2 days is good.
Hey, he’s in Wimbledon! He could have been dispatched today and he won. He’s not a victim of anything. I doubt he’s complaining about having another match to play tomorrow. I’d say he feels privileged and excited about it all…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure if I like the fact that Novak is so big favorite to win this Wimbledon. Maybe there is too much talk about it and many want to see him attempt calendar slam this year . A bad day in office is still a possibility combined with a hot opponent across the net. However, I feel like Novak likes it here the most now, even more than AO, he looks comfortable on the court in London.
If this were anything like Novak's first rodeo, you might have reason to worry. But he's even been here before with the CYGS in play. On top of that, the bottom half of the draw has been kind to him. Sure, Novak could have a bad day early, but there's not really much of anyone to take advantage of it. Stan? He's 150 years old, with bad knees. It would take a lot of Novak beating himself not to reach the final, and even then, maybe if Alcaraz is there and ready to beat him? I think you should relax. Nothing's a shoo-in, but this one is close.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Their traditions aren’t intractable though. They’ve added a couple of roofs, they brought in tiebreaks after others had shown they work, they dropped their own peculiar seeding system. They kept the all-white rule - which I like - but I also like that they’ve made a concession to the ladies with regards to underwear there.

They run a great tournament. I’d imagine they apply common sense as well as they can. Far as I know, it’s not unusual that if a day is rain delayed, then there’s no guarantee that the players affected by the rain delay get to bump the scheduled players for that day off the court. The affected players get facilitated eventually anyway, and since there’s only one day affected so far, it’s not going to be a huge problem.

There are slams where matches finish at 4am. Now that’s a bad tradition to have…
Agree w/ most everything else but this. It actually rained a bit yesterday, so that's 2 affected days.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree w/ most everything else but this. It actually rained a bit yesterday, so that's 2 affected days.
True that. They’ll recover though. Might be that they have to sacrifice that irritating French bloke Henri Leconte doing his boring clown act in week 2. Now I hope it rains tomorrow too, if it guarantees that..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hey, he’s in Wimbledon! He could have been dispatched today and he won. He’s not a victim of anything. I doubt he’s complaining about having another match to play tomorrow. I’d say he feels privileged and excited about it all…
I guess he was just stunned that he had to play again tomorrow, seeing he was on court for over 4 1/2 hours, though I agree with your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.