2023 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I also feel for him, remember these are tennis professionals and have to be able to cope with weather delays like what happened today at Wimbledon, the forecast was for rain and the weather forecast was correct, we cant control the weather, they did have covers on, then the rain eased off and came back again pronto, the officials made the correct decision to cancel all play on the outside courts. they only have 2 roofs, they could have started matches earlier, seeing the forecast was bad, they didnt,
The forecast for the next 2 days is good.
I'm not blaming anyone, just gaming his chances v. Stan. I'd like to see Stan win. Not because I think Stan has any chance against Novak in the next round, but because, like Murray, I'm glad to see him still out there fighting for it.

As to the rest, I saw the debate above and I think a lot of good points were made. I definitely agree with @tented that it's an outdoor tournament, and it should be played as such as much as possible. However, if Australia has 3 roofs, (and they seemed to get used mostly for heat,) then surely Wimbledon could add one. And to @kskate2's point: why not start early if you need to? We all know that it's the lower-ranked players who get screwed by a rain-delayed schedule. Put down the Pimm's and make a proper weather contingency plan! :lulz1:

Reactions: kskate2 and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not blaming anyone, just gaming his chances v. Stan. I'd like to see Stan win. Not because I think Stan has any chance against Novak in the next round, but because, like Murray, I'm glad to see him still out there fighting for it.

As to the rest, I saw the debate above and I think a lot of good points were made. I definitely agree with @tented that it's an outdoor tournament, and it should be played as such as much as possible. However, if Australia has 3 roofs, (and they seemed to get used mostly for heat,) then surely Wimbledon could add one. And to @kskate2's point: why not start early if you need to? We all know that it's the lower-ranked players who get screwed by a rain-delayed schedule. Put down the Pimm's and make a proper weather contingency plan! :lulz1:
Well 3 roofs are expensive and it has taken the All England Club sometime to have 2 roofs, yes it is out door tournament, agree Tented comments,
Please Pimm's give me a Gin and Tonic anyday, you would think by now they would have a proper weather contingency plan, as I have been to London in Summer quite a bit over the years, my daughter lives there now, I always carry a fold up umbrella in my bag, I never trust their weather

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There are slams where matches finish at 4am. Now that’s a bad tradition to have…
you-talking-to-me-what.gif

Ok, probably more Oz, but I couldn't resist.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
British weather is unpredictable. We get the same weather warnings in Ireland and ignore them…
Since it's Wimbledon, we find ourselves discussing the weather like people who just met each other and have nothing else to talk about. British weather IS unpredictable, but they have nothing on Ireland, in my limited experience of it. No wonder you ignore it! I've done a fair amount of traveling around the world. Everyone loves to say, "You don't like our weather? Wait 5 minutes." But never have I found that to be literally true, except in Ireland.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't be mad I said it was "more Oz." We have lots of matches in NY that have ended after 1-2am. He's looking at both of us. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I am happy mad, the tournament officials should have never started that match around midnight or 11.30pm,

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Since it's Wimbledon, we find ourselves discussing the weather like people who just met each other and have nothing else to talk about. British weather IS unpredictable, but they have nothing on Ireland, in my limited experience of it. No wonder you ignore it! I've done a fair amount of traveling around the world. Everyone loves to say, "You don't like our weather? Wait 5 minutes." But never have I found that to be literally true, except in Ireland.
At least in Ireland that dont have snakes, like we do in Aussie, my mother drove all around Ireland twice she loved Ireland, it only takes about 20 minutes to drive around the whole of Ireland, I better duck before Kieran has a go at me lol!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am happy mad, the tournament officials should have never started that match around midnight or 11.30pm,
Yeah, that's a bit much. I don't know the latest start at the US Open, but finishing at 1-2am is not crazy for NY, the city that never sleeps. I've left the opera at 1am, and that was scheduled. Not to even talk about the clubs. But if Wimbledon has to stop at 11pm, they need to consider occasionally starting earlier. #sleepyheadedBrits

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray has such unrealistic expectations! It's like he's in an alt. reality along w/ commentators talking abt how he won 2 challengers on grass! SO?
You just don't like him. But he's won Wimbledon 2 times, and he's a Brit. They want to fancy his chances, as does he. So?

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh please we cant control the weather lol! it is not Wimbledon's official's fault they are doing their best under the circumstances with only 2 courts with roofs, yes they could have started matches earlier on outside courts, they did cover them, then uncovered them and the rain started falling again, it was a correct decision to stop play for the day on outside courts
Speak for yourself, some of Us has American Indian heritage in our immediate ancestry..my great grandmother was American Indian which means I should be able via some creative rain dances to create a few rain clouds. Jajaja

tented

Administrator
Reactions
As to the rest, I saw the debate above and I think a lot of good points were made. I definitely agree with @tented that it's an outdoor tournament, and it should be played as such as much as possible.
To be clear — because there does seem to have been some misunderstanding — my initial post (in response to one written by @Jelenafan) which mentioned roofs was intended simply to open the floor to discussion of the general idea of having roofed stadiums for an outdoor event. It wasn’t a reflection of anyone’s views, including my own, nevertheless a criticism.

That said, I do think it’s an interesting topic, particularly in light of the effects of global warming and the subsequent bad weather which will make staging outdoor tournaments increasingly difficult. With temperatures rising (we just had the hottest day ever recorded), storms/hurricanes becoming both more frequent and more powerful, it will be hard to have two-week outdoor events.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We try to be inclusive, and that includes the weather..

• Haha
Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First cancellations of the day ( I am beginning to hate Wimbledon and it's weather period ) these are 2nd round matches initially scheduled for today, already cancelled for the day

Rublev - Karatsev
Hurkacz - Choinski
Musetti - Munar
Goffin - Barrios Vera
Mmoh - Marterer
Wolf - Bublik

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
First cancellations of the day ( I am beginning to hate Wimbledon and it's weather period ) these are 2nd round matches initially scheduled for today, already cancelled for the day

Rublev - Karatsev
Hurkacz - Choinski
Musetti - Munar
Goffin - Barrios Vera
Mmoh - Marterer
Wolf - Bublik
It's not even the weather so much as their response and planning. This is the last time I'm going to say it (this fortnight anyway). By starting the show courts at 11am and scheduling 5+ matches for the day on each one. They wouldn't have as many cancellations. They should be starting at the same time on all courts until they catch up. :facepalm:

Reactions: Jelenafan
Status
Not open for further replies.