2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah it took me a minute...I don't enjoy being critical of Felix
You know Felix, who turns 23 next week, seems like a very level headed nice guy who works hard. He gave an interview this week where Felix said he's not going to fret too much over his bad results as it is all part of the process of his tennis journey…

Its funny, he’s almost the antithesis personality-wise of the other (once) great Canadian hope, Dennis Shapavolov. Dennis is fiery & hot tempered.

I don't buy that nice guys can’t be champhions ( but you do have to be selfish & arrogant, LOL). Federer, Nadal, Edberg among others are fairly mellow guys.

Its the inner drive, “fire in the belly” which works within both the fiery types & the more placid personalities. As of now it seems both Shapavolov & Felix lack that.

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You know Felix, who turns 23 next week, seems like a very level headed nice guy who works hard. He gave an interview this week where Felix said he's not going to fret too much over his bad results as it is all part of the process of his tennis journey…

Its funny, he’s almost the antithesis personality-wise of the other (once) great Canadian hope, Dennis Shapavolov. Dennis is fiery & hot tempered.

I don't buy that nice guys can’t be champhions ( but you do have to be selfish & arrogant, LOL). Federer, Nadal, Edberg among others are fairly mellow guys.

Its the inner drive, “fire in the belly” which works within both the fiery types & the more placid personalities. As of now it seems both Shapavolov & Felix lack that.
Hmmm I get your post but to classify Denis and Felix together is like saying all ex wives are bad people. This is not true. Felix is a very disciplined young man and tennis prodigy. Denis is a petulant erratic goofball

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hmmm I get your post but to classify Denis and Felix together is like saying all ex wives are bad people. This is not true. Felix is a very disciplined young man and tennis prodigy. Denis is a petulant erratic goofball
I think he did describe them as the antithesis of one another. They have in common that they're Canadian, and of the same generation, (Denis is one year older) so not uninteresting to compare them. Both were, for a time, considered prodigies, with hopes for them attached. They are no longer prodigies. (A writer friend of mine once described himself, ironically, as an "aging prodigy." Point being...there's no such thing.) While I've given up on Shapo, I have not given up on Felix, unlike some. I do think wondering if he has the "fire in the belly" is fair, though.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he did describe them as the antithesis of one another. They have in common that they're Canadian, and of the same generation, (Denis is one year older) so not uninteresting to compare them. Both were, for a time, considered prodigies, with hopes for them attached. They are no longer prodigies. (A writer friend of mine once described himself, ironically, as an "aging prodigy." Point being...there's no such thing.) While I've given up on Shapo, I have not given up on Felix, unlike some. I do think wondering if he has the "fire in the belly" is fair, though.
Regardless of the 'fire in the belly', that is an excuse quite frankly is wearing thin with me, I could also name heaps of players currently that seem not to have 'fire in the belly? Felix is having problems in his game which needs to be addressed ASAP, posters would realize this if they have watched his matches of late, fair enough he has been injured, shoulder and knee, though his first serving was missing big time in his latest match in Washington.Winning breeds Success dosent it?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Match between Tiafoe v Shang will start shortly in Washington after rain delay, Fergus Murphy umpire has arrived on court

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I don't buy that nice guys can’t be champions ( but you do have to be selfish & arrogant, LOL). Federer, Nadal, Edberg among others are fairly mellow guys.

They were the few & far between "exceptions" to the rule! Most top players in any sport turn into jerks! They're accustomed to people ki$$ing their @rses regardless if they expect it or not! We accept it for the most part until "the entitlement" becomes extreme! There's really nothing a player in tennis can do that will be that offensive compared to the prima donnas of my era! Back in the day players like Borg, Connors, & McEnroe were probably treated like royalty behind the scenes! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well that didnt last long as Tiafoe and Shang have arrived on court.........hopefully the rain has cleared for the night

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
they start normally at Noon. why not start at 11am? More poor scheduling...

So easy for us to say "move the schedule up an hour!" I remember back in '87, the USO demanded players come in an hour early for the men's SF! It was a little more extreme; 11 AM to 10 AM! I think they were worried about rain and the women's Final was the last match of the day! There was a small revolt w/ Edberg and Wilander purposely strolling in 20 min. or so late! Just an anecdote! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So easy for us to say "move the schedule up an hour!" I remember back in '87, the USO demanded players come in an hour early for the men's SF! It was a little more extreme; 11 AM to 10 AM! I think they were worried about rain and the women's Final was the last match of the day! There was a small revolt w/ Edberg and Wilander purposely strolling in 20 min. or so late! Just an anecdote! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
It's not that it's easy, but the sensible thing to do. This tourney is small potatoes compared to a Masters starting on Mon. This one has to end on time, period. They should do whatever is necessary to make sure it ends on Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.