2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Frances came in behind not a great shot and paid the price, then DF'd in 2nd set TB. But he got the mini break back! 5-5 now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Excellent winner to seal the deal on first MP! Great job, Big Foe. Karatsev is always tricky.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kevin Durant in the house for Frances. Also DC boy and PG County boy...AND...a Texas Longhorn! Has to bring Frances good luck for the tournament. (Sorry, just having a local moment for myself.)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What is going on with my young rising star Ben Shelton going out again to Shang in this 1st round in DC and also Altanta?
Shang appears to be in his head and his game, maybe Ben is getting used to playing on the tour full time, he has the game for the HC as well

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There hasn't been a repeat winner on the men's side since Roger won it 5x in a row 2004-08, that's true. I wouldn't give you a nickel for Ruud, and , while I think likewise Tiafoe is a long-shot, I like him, and my friend AP backs him, so I'll give him a chance. It's too far away to game anyone else, but Carlitos and Novak are still the men to beat, giving Medvedev a decent shot to repeat.

This is what I mean about saying that a player has a "normal level" or best level the whole of his career. Novak's "normal level" isn't necessarily what it once was. He played his "normal level," though not his A-game, (meaning "exceptional,") throughout Wimbledon, and it proved not enough in the final. And that was grass, where he would be said to have had more of an edge than on HCs, where most players excel, to the extent of their gifts. I think that unless the draw-gods and the upset-gods are exceptionally kind to him, he knows that he's going to have to find his A-game at the USO to win it. I do think @Jelenafan has a point, though, in that Alcaraz poked the bear at Wimbledon, and he's going to be gunning for it. I don't think he really needs extra motivation, but he's free of the pressure of the CYGS. He's also aware that the competition is stiffening, and that they probably sense blood in the water. Novak is a great champion, and he'll be planning to peak for the 2nd week in New York.
True Novak's normal level wasn't good enough to win Wimbledon. However how many AOs and previous SW19 championships had he won playing his normal level? At least 3-5. I doubt very seriously if one of the NEXT Gen talent or etc can trouble Novak's game during the first week of the USO. Could someone like Eubanks catch him on a bad night..yeah but only to give him trouble for a hot minute like double H did at SW19. Novak’s ability to problem solve currently has no peers. Yes, Carlos hit his way through Novak’s defense in the recent 5th set but do you really think someone’s gonna hit that many winners in that scenario again..

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What is going on with my young rising star Ben Shelton going out again to Shang in this 1st round in DC and also Altanta?
Shang appears to be in his head and his game, maybe Ben is getting used to playing on the tour full time, he has the game for the HC as well
Shang is too steady for Ben, that’s it plain and simple. Ben has a lot of energy but makes too many UFEs at this point in his career but he is still on the come up..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP,

If you are around Fritz has won the title in Alanta, still waiting for your return post to me, is Fritz as good as Andy Roddick, though Roddick did manage to get to a GS final
BTW this is Fritz 6th ATP title, he has the 2nd most titles among active American men, behind Tented's favorite John Isner :)
Fritz really has matured his game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominic Thiem given a wild card in Winston-Salem ( tournament takes place 1 week before US Open)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open will be introducing video review this year to help chair umpires during disputes.Video review will be used for all main draw matches on Ashe, Armstrong, Grandstand, court 5 and court 17.
( source The Tennis Letter)

• Love
Reactions: Moxie and tented

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes after a bad start from Dom, apparently the conditions are fast, and after he changed the string tension on his racket he played much better
Y'all keep sleeping on my dawg da Dominator he may still surprise and shock the world

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
John Isner and Mackenzie McDonald have been awarded the final wild cards for Cincinnati Masters.Isner will be playing the tournament for the 16th time, Isner ,McDonald join main draw wild cards JJ Wolf and Stan Wawrinka.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I am certain you will remind everyone :)
IMG_20230802_144806.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Marin Cilic will miss the US Open swing, due to another knee injury, meaning he'll also be out for the US Open ( source The Tennis Letter)

Status
Not open for further replies.