Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well one of those he “stole” from Nadal. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I hearya Fiero, but on the other hand don't you think it’s to Stan’s credit he did breakthrough & didn’t give up despite being close to 29 years old? Add Stan wasn't happy to be a one slam wonder but went on to 3 more Slam finals, winning two more, all three winning Slams be beat the top ranked player in the world in the final.

Stan won the junior FO title & was ranked as high as # 7 as a junior. Good but not exceptionally promising as many Juniors fall by the wayside year after year. TBH, his professional record from 2005-2012 isn’t all *that* promising, it follows the trajectory of players who intermittently show flashes of brillance. He only reached his first Major SF in 2013, a few months before his shocking 2014 AO Slam win.

Most of the young promising and talented players of generations past show it early and then fade; they couldn’t do what Stan accomplished. He’s literally the ONLY guy to do it at that age bracket in 100 years so with him I tend to look at it as glass half full rather than glass half empty.

IIRC, Stan upset Novak in the QFs of the AO in '14 on the way to the final vs Nadal! Wawrinka's been a "tough out" each time he's played Novak! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The qualifers have been assigned in DC, tournament begins Monday 31st July.
Svajda plays Purcell
Klahn plays Moh
Fratangelo plays Monfils
Muchizuki plas Barrere
Shang plays Gomez
Pannu plays Karatsev.
Seeing this is a ATP500 a absence of top players missing. The top ranked eight men are not playing, nor are six more of the top twenty.Hopefully Fritz will show up, but who can blame him if he dosent show.Citi is in danger of losing a few more.However, Tiafoe will probably show since he didn't play this week.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
It's way too hot and humid to have a tournament in Atlanta in July. They should move Atlanta to the early March spot (currently held by Indian Wells), and IW to the summer/fall. We already had IW in October in 2021, and I got to think the 2028 Olympics will be held there (it looks like the Olympics are going to be early that year, July 14-30, so they'll probably have to move Wimbledon to August or tennis will have to be pushed to the 2nd week to make it work).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well one of those he “stole” from Nadal. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I hearya Fiero, but on the other hand don't you think it’s to Stan’s credit he did breakthrough & didn’t give up despite being close to 29 years old? Add Stan wasn't happy to be a one slam wonder but went on to 3 more Slam finals, winning two more, all three winning Slams be beat the top ranked player in the world in the final.

Stan won the junior FO title & was ranked as high as # 7 as a junior. Good but not exceptionally promising as many Juniors fall by the wayside year after year. TBH, his professional record from 2005-2012 isn’t all *that* promising, it follows the trajectory of players who intermittently show flashes of brillance. He only reached his first Major SF in 2013, a few months before his shocking 2014 AO Slam win.

Most of the young promising and talented players of generations past show it early and then fade; they couldn’t do what Stan accomplished. He’s literally the ONLY guy to do it at that age bracket in 100 years so with him I tend to look at it as glass half full rather than glass half empty.
Here's the chilling details about his win over Rafa's bad back or stiff neck.. Stan had never defeated Rafa prior or even once broken his serve if my memory serves me correctly..the tennis Gods didn't favor the Spanish Bull that day..that's tennis

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Pablo Carreno Busta has withdrawn from Canadian Open, where he was the defending champion and the Cinciannti Open.It has been a season plaqued by injuries that have seriously affected his performance ( elbow) and could lead him to drop out of the top 100 of the ATP rankings

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mark Philippoussis announced in May this year he has stopped working with Stefanos Tsitsipas, ( Mark had a short coaching stint with Maria Sakkari) it seems now they have resumed their professional relationship. Mark and Stefanos have been seen together at the Los Cabos Open, during training.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Mark Philippoussis announced in May this year he has stopped working with Stefanos Tsitsipas, ( Mark had a short coaching stint with Maria Sakkari) it seems now they have resumed their professional relationship. Mark and Stefanos have been seen together at the Los Cabos Open, during training.
Stefano will be Aight..There's better Greeks for Tsitispas to be coach by : Badathis and a southern California Pistol who has a gorgeous wife who is an actress..

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Here's the chilling details about his win over Rafa's bad back or stiff neck.. Stan had never defeated Rafa prior or e even once broken his serve if my memory serves me correctly..the tennis Gods didn't favor the Spanish Bull that day..that's tennis
People point to this match as the end of Rafa's peak. Yes, Rafa won the French Open months later, but Rafa would struggle for a greater part of 3 years following that match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
People point to this match as the end of Rafa's peak. Yes, Rafa won the French Open months later, but Rafa would struggle for a greater part of 3 years following that match.
I think there's a difference between "peak" and "prime." This gets discussed around here periodically. I would say his "peak" was more like 2008-2010. but I think you could say he was past his "prime" by 2014. I don't think that happens in one match. What happened in that match was that his back went out.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think there's a difference between "peak" and "prime." This gets discussed around here periodically. I would say his "peak" was more like 2008-2010. but I think you could say he was past his "prime" by 2014. I don't think that happens in one match. What happened in that match was that his back went out.
It was also the first time Stan had defeated Rafa. Rafa said after the match he felt his back in his warm up, which I watched, he started to practice serves and stopped abruptly I knew then something wasnt right.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio and Tented wont be happy with this news,
Cincinnati doubles list pretty much confirms this news,
Novak Djokovic, who will use Cincinnati as his only US Open preparation event will play doubles as well there alongside compatriot Nikola Cacic

Croatian doubles players Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic have split after Wimbledon this year.
They have won Olympic Gold,Wimbledon title and 4 Masters 1000 titles together

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's the chilling details about his win over Rafa's bad back or stiff neck.. Stan had never defeated Rafa prior or even once broken his serve if my memory serves me correctly..the tennis Gods didn't favor the Spanish Bull that day..that's tennis
Reread this again Stan hadn't broken Rafa service in their previous meetings. It's not as if Rafa's service was in the league of Isner, Sampras or Roger's service. This was a major upset of paramount levels.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Reread this again Stan hadn't broken Rafa service in their previous meetings. It's not as if Rafa's service was in the league of Isner, Sampras or Roger's service. This was a major upset of paramount levels.
I had to sit through that match and when Rafa had to take a MTO he was booed, I could not believe he actually won a set off Stan, he could hardly serve, that match was a complete nightmare, Rafa had played soo well to get to the final, I vowed and declared then I would never watch Rafa in a final live at the AO again!

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gael Monfils playing Bjorn Fratangelo in DC first round match
With both their respective partners watching in the stands
Elina Svitolina aka Mrs Monfils , and Madiison Keys, fiancee of Fratangelo
Monfils wins in SS 63 64

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dunno folks, this could be the USO year for Novak , he’s rested and TBH there was a lot distractions for different reasons previously; the 2020 COVID Oct start , the 2021 CYGS, Olympics, last year banned from NA, etc.

The lion has been provoked as in all the current talk of the King is dead, long live the new king. Djokovic knows he’s underperformed relatively speaking at Flushing Meadows. He has nothing to defend, the pressure for a CYGS is removed, and the NY crowds like him, they really like him. ; )
I think it's true that he'll be coming into the USO more relaxed than, say, 2 years ago with the CYGS on the line, but he's had a lot of reason to go in with confidence many times before...and he was a lot younger. Points to defend is a non-issue. His window for winning Majors is closing, and NY has always been a challenge which he hasn't often met. He's made 3 x SFs, 6 x Fs, and won 3 titles there. For the best on HCs, he'll know that's not a great record. I know why you say he's "underperformed," (see previous sentence,) but remember that you have to take a win away from someone else, if you try to say he should have done better, meaning having won another title, or two. I'm not sure which one you'd take away. Anyway, the pressure to do better in New York will be there. As will the spit and vinegar to prove he's not done. It will be interesting to see what he's got left in the tank.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gael Monfils hints after his first round match at DC this maybe his last year on tour,

" I feel Elina will play much longer than me. It might be 1 of my last tournaments in the states. Maybe next year. We don't know yet. But soon. But I may come back to support Elina with the baby. So you'll see me around".

Reactions: Moxie
Status
Not open for further replies.