2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm surprised that both Alex and Chris lost in straight sets..Isner and Monfils lost in 3 sets in their first matches this week. Lotas upset in Hotlanta

Must be part of my negativity, but we have to start assuming the worst when it comes to today's player! We've been so spoiled by the Big 3, we've started to expect consistency & a trajectory that goes up instead of having bumps & hills! Alcaraz is the only one that can break that trend IMO! I personally think he'll have trouble defending his USO title, but it's just one of the tourneys that's very difficult to repeat! Few have done it; even someone like Novak! He seems to be single-minded and may actually drop out of the top 2 or 3 w/ 2 Majors! He can still surprise us w/ another Fall run and this time take another Paris Indoor instead of blowing it in the final! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't put too much weight on this tournament, Hamburg is truly an anomaly: a 500 red clay tournament wedged between the the grasscourt season culminating at Wimbledon and the HC season that is already underway. Rublev, Rudd & Zverev are all pursuing points and have good track records on clay so I can see why they were tempted to play here. Again a 500 tier tournament.

For all the talk from the players that the tennis season is so long and taxing, did any of them three really have to play here? Especially having to transition to HC for Canada and Cincy. Those guys are going from clay to grass to clay to HC of their own volition. But what the heck, I guess you make hay while the sun shines.

I do sort of feel bad for this tourney, they got bumped out of their 1000 Masters status when the Spanish/Ion Tiriac put political muscle behind moving the Madrid Open to the spring and making it a "red clay" tournament. I personally much preferred Hamburg as a clay court Masters vs. Madrid. : (
Yeah so did I. Madrid is like an ugly step child in the clay swing. It’s never been a good tune up for Paris and never been interesting enough on its own merits. Ballgirls to lech at? Blue clay? Gimmicks beyond all taste… :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jelenafan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stan is in SF of Umag. He seems fired up and the crowd loves to see him play. He ended the match last night with a BH cross court winner. Perfection. Would love to see him go all the way here. Umag was his first ATP title back in 2006 against Novak in a final who retired mid match:smiling-face-with-horns:.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On his 4th MP Zverev d Fils in the SF at Hamburg 62 64
Love watching the young Frenchman, in this match up Sasha was too strong.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looks like Fils got brought back to earth by Zverev. Zverev is mechanically strong off both wings & doesn’t have an obviously weaker shot (ala Ruud BH) the inexperienced Fils could just tee off of.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Forgot to add in the Zverev v Fiils match which I watched, Fils played the match of his life yesterday against Ruud, a pity he could not find the form today against Sasha, though he fought to the end, the German crowd applauded his shots and good embrace at the net as well.
PS Sasha's GF and her tatoo's UGH :)
This is Zverev first final since May 2022 and his first final in Hamburg
Final in Hamburg,
Zverev v Djere

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm surprised that both Alex and Chris lost in straight sets..Isner and Monfils lost in 3 sets in their first matches this week. Lotas upset in Hotlanta
Just saw your post to me,
It was the first time I watched the Aussie who played against Chris impressed and as Moxie said was brought back down to earth
in Gael's match he was leading and then fell away, Thanasi deserved his win
I would rather watch 'wet paint dry; than watch a Isner match :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
SF match between Fritz v JJ. Wolf,
Very warm conditions in Alanta, stands are about half full, Fritz should be able to win this match in straight sets, having won the 1st set 63
A tightly contested 2nd set,, Fritz serve was a big difference, fires an ace to win the match Fritz the top seed wins in straight sets 64 75
Fritz will play the winner of the next SF Humbert - Vukic in tomorrow's final

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Surprised though delighted to see Alexei Popyrin making a final on clay in Umag defeating Arnaldi 67(2) 75 63, he will play the winner of Wawrinka - Sonego ( match is up next) in the final tomorrow.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Stanley wins the 1st set 63 over Sonego
I wonder if Don Fabio is at this tournament in Imag, seeing he posted earlier?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just got home to watch the 3rd set in the 2nd SF at Alanta between Vukic v Humbert
Vuckic has an early break in the 3rd set leading 2-0
Vuckic was broken, back at 4 all
Vuckic had 2 BP good returning and will serve for the match 6-5

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stanley wins the 1st set 63 over Sonego
I wonder if Don Fabio is at this tournament in Imag, seeing he posted earlier?
I'm not. It's too hot to travel now. I'm further down south and hopefully not moving anywhere for another month, before the school starts beginning of September.

Umag lacks natural beauty compared to such places as Bol, which is where I'm at during the summer. Bol used to hold a WTA event for years, but another place in Croatia took it and in Bol remains ITF event in October. I still get to play some tennis here with local people and I don't even have to pay for the courts, they get it for free.

I'll just drop a few photos of this amazing place to spend time during the summer months.

Bol-605df603a30cc622635664_huge.jpg
Bol-605df50ed5c6a782343168_huge.jpg
brac-bol-007-1359034720_huge.jpg
brac-bol-009-1359034186_huge.jpg
bol-otok-island-brac-015-1415454932_huge.jpg
brac-bol-001-1359034261_huge.jpg
Bol-605df50dc78da240673802_huge.jpg

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dunno folks, this could be the USO year for Novak , he’s rested and TBH there was a lot distractions for different reasons previously; the 2020 COVID Oct start , the 2021 CYGS, Olympics, last year banned from NA, etc.

The lion has been provoked as in all the current talk of the King is dead, long live the new king. Djokovic knows he’s underperformed relatively speaking at Flushing Meadows. He has nothing to defend, the pressure for a CYGS is removed, and the NY crowds like him, they really like him. ; )

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not. It's too hot to travel now. I'm further down south and hopefully not moving anywhere for another month, before the school starts beginning of September.

Umag lacks natural beauty compared to such places as Bol, which is where I'm at during the summer. Bol used to hold a WTA event for years, but another place in Croatia took it and in Bol remains ITF event in October. I still get to play some tennis here with local people and I don't even have to pay for the courts, they get it for free.

I'll just drop a few photos of this amazing place to spend time during the summer months.

View attachment 8557View attachment 8558View attachment 8559View attachment 8560View attachment 8561View attachment 8564View attachment 8565
Okay Don I am now 'totally jealous" enjoy!

Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dunno folks, this could be the USO year for Novak , he’s rested and TBH there was a lot distractions for different reasons previously; the 2020 COVID Oct start , the 2021 CYGS, Olympics, last year banned from NA, etc.

The lion has been provoked as in all the current talk of the King is dead, long live the new king. Djokovic knows he’s underperformed relatively speaking at Flushing Meadows. He has nothing to defend, the pressure for a CYGS is removed, and the NY crowds like him, they really like him. ; )
I like the way you think. I reckon the crowd love is a joke, but I do hope they go against him if he meets Alcaraz again. It brings out the best of him when he plays against the crowd too.

Status
Not open for further replies.