2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've seen things change when it comes to tournaments depending on who's at the top! Way back when, you had Graf and Becker making so much news & winning back in the 80's & 90's! Hamburg as a Masters was a no brainer while they reigned at or near the top! As soon as they were gone, Germany lost status when they actually had a YE Chp. or 2! Madrid gained back their status w/ Nadal when at one time it was a Fall event indoors! Our Sunshine Double is all about money! Heaven knows we don't have good representatives leading the way on the tour! It was the same thing w/ Shanghai; all about how much was being offerred to get players to compete! The rest of the Masters are legacy events w/ Rome not offering much, but have a lot of status to hang in there! END RANT! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
It's an interesting point you make about tying events and status to whether or not they have marquee players to draw the crowds. At least in terms of Hamburg, and how Tiriac vultured them with Madrid on "clay." Shanghai and the Asian swing was clearly a money-move. I think you can make a lot of good arguments for the Sunshine double. And I'm sorry, but Rome and Monte Carlo are just too good to give up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've seen things change when it comes to tournaments depending on who's at the top! Way back when, you had Graf and Becker making so much news & winning back in the 80's & 90's! Hamburg as a Masters was a no brainer while they reigned at or near the top! As soon as they were gone, Germany lost status when they actually had a YE Chp. or 2! Madrid gained back their status w/ Nadal when at one time it was a Fall event indoors! Our Sunshine Double is all about money! Heaven knows we don't have good representatives leading the way on the tour! It was the same thing w/ Shanghai; all about how much was being offerred to get players to compete! The rest of the Masters are legacy events w/ Rome not offering much, but have a lot of status to hang in there! END RANT! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
You know Fiero, the ATP seems hell bent on making the Masters more "big events' , transitioning more of them into 12 day affairs. Shagnhai Masters are going 12 days this year, which is insane considering they haven't played it in what, 4 years?

Aren't Canada & Cincy both going two weeks next year? On the one hand, I can see they "why" of their strategy: it's their "babies" whereas the Slams are independent behemoths they have no control over.

Having said that, I dunno, it's an awkward transition, because they are going to cannibalize solid long standing smaller tournaments to make way for these 2 week event Masters. In addition, I thought the Italian and Madrid Masters were really stretching out the schedule, some players had 3 days between best of 3 set matches, What the... !!??

IMO Paris Indoors and Monte Carlo, they almost become more appealing as Masters simply because they will retain the more challenging 8 day schedule. Two relics in a tennis calendar chockful of 2 weeks Masters.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry I disagree, Monfils is just coming back from an injury after RG, when did he become the biggest draw chump?
I read that article the other day, case of whinging as far as I am concerned, would he have whinged if he beat Kokkinakis? I doubt it
Margaret, Monfils is the in the top ten of biggest draw especially since Rafa, Roger and the sisters are not playing currently IMO

I know the folks in Atlanta were very disappointed over 8 years ago when Gael pulled out of the tournament at the last minute.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Margaret, Monfils is the in the top ten of biggest draw especially since Rafa, Roger and the sisters are not playing currently IMO

I know the folks in Atlanta were very disappointed over 8 years ago when Gael pulled out of the tournament at the last minute.
Well he lost, as I said I bet he would not have whinged if he won would he? I dont think so.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You know Fiero, the ATP seems hell bent on making the Masters more "big events' , transitioning more of them into 12 day affairs. Shagnhai Masters are going 12 days this year, which is insane considering they haven't played it in what, 4 years?

Aren't Canada & Cincy both going two weeks next year? On the one hand, I can see they "why" of their strategy: it's their "babies" whereas the Slams are independent behemoths they have no control over.

Having said that, I dunno, it's an awkward transition, because they are going to cannibalize solid long standing smaller tournaments to make way for these 2 week event Masters. In addition, I thought the Italian and Madrid Masters were really stretching out the schedule, some players had 3 days between best of three matches, What the... !!??

IMO Paris Indoors and Monte Carlo, they almost become more appealing as Masters simply because they will retain the more challenging 8 day schedule. Two relics in a tennis calendar chockful of 2 weeks Masters.
Honestly, I've rather been ignoring the news that a lot of these Masters events are going to 2 weeks. Why? And a good point you make that they are going to hurt smaller tournaments. (Though, the other side is that lesser players will win them, garnering points and improving their rankings? Maybe?) I thought one of the boasts of a Masters was that you played a smaller field of top players, and, with no days in between matches, there was nowhere to hide. I'm not sure what the thinking is with lengthening them, since they're still best-of-3.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Bummer,

Match between Eubanks and Vukic in Alanta has been suspended due to rain
Bad storm rolled through the north side of town in the ATL area earlier. But radar looks dry for the rest of the night . I'm not staying up for this one..I have USTA league match tomorrow in the hot sun ... trying to hydrate now . Will have my bottle of mustard just in case .have a good night

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Bad storm rolled through the north side of town in the ATL area earlier. But radar looks dry for the rest of the night . I'm not staying up for this one..I have USTA league match tomorrow in the hot sun ... trying to hydrate now . Will have my bottle of mustard just in case .have a good night

No matter the weather, Eubank run over! He went down in str. sets to Vokic! di Minaur on his way to court! We'll see if his big mouth c/b saved! :yawningface:

Update! The defending champ's out in straight sets! Hubert was on his game & took out Di Maur who was psyched, but wasn't enough! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher
Status
Not open for further replies.