2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a shame. Cincinnati is almost located in the Mid Section of the US which makes it a short drive for tennis enthusiasts who a looking for a tournament that is accessible. What a loss for Mid Westerners.. SMH2
What AntiPusher? Say it ain’t so !! That is a great tournament & was on my bucket list of tournaments to get to. Was planning to visit a buddy in Kentucky & drive there, need to do that ASAP; From all accounts the fans there are amazing and very supportive.

Sidenote: Hard to believe the Bay area no longer has a mens professional tournament & you have to go down to Southern Cal…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP if you are still around,

I just read from a fan that has gone to the Cinncy tennis tournament many times over the years, saying, the tournaments has been in the Cincinnati area in various forms dating back to 1899. The suburb of Mason has hosted since 1979 showing Middle America to the world's stars and vice versa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a shame. Cincinnati is almost located in the Mid Section of the US which makes it a short drive for tennis enthusiasts who a looking for a tournament that is accessible. What a loss for Mid Westerners.. SMH2
Not to mention: if people think Cincinnati is hot and humid in August, wait until they play in NC in late summer.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
What AntiPusher? Say it ain’t so !! That is a great tournament & was on my bucket list of tournaments to get to. Was planning to visit a buddy in Kentucky & drive there, need to do that ASAP; From all accounts the fans there are amazing and very supportive.

Sidenote: Hard to believe the Bay area no longer has a mens professional tournament & you have to go down to Southern Cal…
Same here. I live near Philadelphia and am a former employee of Western & Southern. I'm a huge fan of the Cincy Masters as well, and would love to attend the tournament one year. I think building a $400M complex in Charlotte is unnecessary. It should stay in Cincy, as the W&S headquarters are there, but if they really want to move to NC, they can go to Winston Salem, where there is already a complex.

Also, keep in mind that Toronto and the W&S Open (whether in Cincy or NC) are going to become 2-week tournaments in 2025. It's going to be interesting to see which tournaments get gutted to make that happen. Atlanta and Washington DC aren't safe, and if the W&S Open goes to Charlotte, you can kiss Winston Salem goodbye.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray to confirm Summer schedule after Rome defeat.
"My best chance of a deep run is at Wimbledon" he says.
There is a ATP Challenger event in Bordeaux next week, or entering an ATP tournament in the week before the French Open
"I'll need to chat to my team about that and see what I do from here".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What the heck is padel?
It is a racket sport always played in doubles on an enclosed court.It is much like a cross between tennis and squash where the ball bounces off the glass wall or mesh that surrounds the court. Actually I have seen Rafa playing Padel on a video via Twitter, he may become a Padel champion when he retires from tennis :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It is a racket sport always played in doubles on an enclosed court.It is much like a cross between tennis and squash where the ball bounces off the glass wall or mesh that surrounds the court. Actually I have seen Rafa playing Padel on a video via Twitter, he may become a Padel champion when he retires from tennis :)
That might take him 5 minutes, from the sound of it..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From Associated Press
French Open champions back to pre- pandemic pay.
Pay check the the 2 French Open singles champions 2.3 euros each, about $2.5 million
Total prize money about $54 million
( losers in 1st rd will get 69,000 euros, about $75,000, which is a 50% hike from what they got in 2019, and an 11% increase from last year).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick Krygios has entered the Boss Open, Stuttgart, outdoor grass. Nick did say he would play Roland Garros this year, yet to hear yay or nay, though his GF wanted to see Paris in the spring time :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Roland Garros Australian reciprocal wild card to the main draw is awarded to Thanasi Kokkinakis, this is Thanasi fourth main draw appearance at Roland Garros

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
After 30 years of covering tennis and global sports for the New York Times and its Paris based sister publication, The International Herald Tribune, Christopher Clarey is leaving of his own accord, to become a full time author. Chris one of the best tennis journalists, winning many awards for his writing, he is going to be writing a book on Rafa.Cant wait to read. All the best Chris in your new career.

• Love
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
After 30 years of covering tennis and global sports for the New York Times and its Paris based sister publication, The International Herald Tribune, Christopher Clarey is leaving of his own accord, to become a full time author. Chris one of the best tennis journalists, winning many awards for his writing, he is going to be writing a book on Rafa.Cant wait to read. All the best Chris in your new career.
Oh, I love his writing so much. He wrote a great piece for the NYT the day after Rafa won his first French Open. I'll find it and put it on the Rafa fans thread.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, I love his writing so much. He wrote a great piece for the NYT the day after Rafa won his first French Open. I'll find it and put it on the Rafa fans thread.
Thanks I will be interested to read, yes I love Chris writing, he won a award a few years ago at the AO, for the best tennis journalist.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently Nick Krygios girl friend will have to wait another time to see Paris in the Spring, as Krygios has withdrawn from Roland Garros

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Milos Raonic ( remember him? ) has appeared on a entry list for a upcoming ATP250 event grass, at the Libema Open in s-Hertogenbesch just after Roland Garros. Milos, 32, has been absent for the ATP Tour for a long time due to injuries, ( also got married in his time off from the tour). Raonic will use his PR ranking of No 33 to enter the tournament.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Milos Raonic ( remember him? ) has appeared on a entry list for a upcoming ATP250 event grass, at the Libema Open in s-Hertogenbesch just after Roland Garros. Milos, 32, has been absent for the ATP Tour for a long time due to injuries, ( also got married in his time off from the tour). Raonic will use his PR ranking of No 33 to enter the tournament.
How does protected ranking work? I'm surprised Raonic is still able to use this. It's been years since he last played.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
How does protected ranking work? I'm surprised Raonic is still able to use this. It's been years since he last played.
Here’s the (lengthy) section from the ATP Rulebook concerning protected ranking:

F. Entry Protection

1) Petition. A player may petition the ATP CEO, or his designee, for an entry protection when he is physically injured or has a documented medical illness and does not compete in any tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, for a minimum period of six (6) months. The written petition must be received within six (6) months after his last tournament and must provide medical documentation including a letter from a treating licensed physician confirming the injury or illness. Each petition shall be evaluated on a case by case basis by the ATP Medical Services Committee.

2) Calculation and Use. The entry protection shall be a position in the ATP Rankings, as determined by the player’s average ATP Rankings position during the first three (3) months* after his last event played. The entry protection shall be for entry into the main draw or qualifying competition or for special exempt consideration. The entry protection shall not be used for seeding purposes or lucky loser consideration.

*The player must be ranked (have at least one singles ranking point for a singles protected ranking and/or one doubles ranking point for a doubles protected ranking) during each week of this three (3) month period.

A player who has been out of competition and is applying for Entry Protection may not include any period of (Doping, Corruption and/or Conduct) suspension in the player’s weeks away from competition in order to qualify for Entry Protection.

3) Limit of Use.

a) If a player is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a period of at least six (6) months but less than twelve (12) months, the entry protection shall be in effect for the first nine (9) singles and the first nine (9) doubles tournaments that the player competes* in using the entry protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a direct acceptance with his current position in the ATP Rankings) or for the period up to nine (9) months beginning with the first tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

b) If a player is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a period of twelve (12) months or longer, the entry protection shall be in effect for the first twelve (12) singles tournaments and the first twelve (12) doubles tournaments that the player competes* in using the entry protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a direct acceptance with his current position in the ATP Rankings) or for the period up to twelve (12) months beginning with the first tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

*Note: For purposes of this rule, once the player is included in the draw or accepts prize money as an on-site withdrawal, the event shall count against the players’ total as specified under a) and b) above. The ATP Cup shall not count against a player’s total protected ranking allowance.

c) The use of a protected ranking to enter the singles and/or doubles of a Grand Slam event is limited to once per Grand Slam event.

d) The use of a protected ranking to enter the singles and/or doubles of the ATP Cup is limited to one (1) per the duration of the player’s Protected Ranking.

Expiration Date. A player has three (3) years from his original last event played to activate his protected ranking and will not be eligible to use his entry protected ranking beyond this date. A player who does not compete in any tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, for a period of three (3) years from the date of his original last event played will have his entry protection revoked.

5) Re-injury Protection. A player who has returned to competition and re-injures himself may petition for a “freeze” of the nine (9) or twelve (12) month limit for competing using his protected ranking. To be eligible for the “freeze” the player must be out of competition for a minimum of three (3) months, the written petition for the “freeze” must be received within this period. Upon the player’s return to competition he shall have the same number of events and weeks remaining as were available when the “freeze” went into effect. A maximum of two (2) “freezes” are allowed during the nine (9) or twelve (12) month period.

Note: For purposes of this rule, three (3) months is calculated at thirteen (13) weeks; six (6) months is calculated at twenty-six (26) weeks; nine (9) months is calculated at thirty-nine (39) weeks; and twelve (12) months is calculated at fifty-two (52) weeks.

Case: A player requests an entry protection freeze after the three (3) year expiration has passed; however, his last event played is before the three (3) year expiration date. Can the player “freeze” his protected ranking?

Decision: A player cannot request a “freeze” after the three (3) year expiration has passed.

Case: A player returns to competition following a “freeze”, the number of weeks remaining from the freeze extend beyond the three (3) year expiration date. Can the player use all remaining weeks past the three (3) year expiration date?

Decision: A player cannot extend the use of his entry protected ranking beyond the three (3) year expiration date.

Case: A player accepted in an ATP Tour, ATP Challenger Tour main draw or ATP Tour/Challenger Qualifying list using a PR, withdraws prior to the withdrawal deadline and accepts a WC into the same event. Does this tournament count towards the total tournaments at which a player may use his PR?

Decision: No, this tournament will not count towards the player’s total of tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.