2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The ATP has announced Tour-Wide adoption of Electronic Line Calling Live (ELC Live) from 2025. The advanced officiating technology covers all court line for 'out' calls throughout matches, a role traditionally carried out by on-court line judges.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I did watch Rios and Ferrer play, and the eye test tells me to take peak Rios (1997-1998) over peak Ferrer (2012-2013). The problem is the peak of Rios was very short, but then again, players didn't have the nutrition/full time cardio/conditioning/fitness teams in the late 90s (when Rios peaked) than in the early 2010s (when Ferrer peaked). That's why careers were shorter in the late 90s than in the early 2010s. Ferrer was 30/31 years old when he peaked, whereas Rios was already retired at that age. All in all, I still put Rios ahead of Ferrer.

Ferrer got the most out of his talent I guess, but it was terribly limited as he was little more than a human backboard! Rafa & Nole never had any trouble with him! Some of David's worse losses were to them! He'll be another player debated about HOF inducting since he only played 1 major final! :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to live ELC systems the ATP says going through final testings for approval on clay.
One thing I haven't seen addressed is how this changes the path to become a chair umpire.Traditionally, you begin as a linesperson.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune got over Bublik in 3rd set TB. He was living dangerously there, but managed to get through. Bublik likes to serve 2 first serves, he is all or nothing guy and that was the culprit for his loss, he double faulted and Rune finished him off in a next point.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The ATP has announced Tour-Wide adoption of Electronic Line Calling Live (ELC Live) from 2025. The advanced officiating technology covers all court line for 'out' calls throughout matches, a role traditionally carried out by on-court line judges.
Maybe the job got too dangerous? :lol6:
In regards to live ELC systems the ATP says going through final testings for approval on clay.
One thing I haven't seen addressed is how this changes the path to become a chair umpire.Traditionally, you begin as a linesperson.
Such an interesting question. They have learned to spot the lines and to know the rules (in practice) by being on court.
Good point! Maybe via challengers? They’re not going electric?
Maybe that's the way it will go, but it's not the same as watching big-league chair umpires in action from on-court, at a higher stakes game, now, is it? It could lead to lowered excellence in umpiring?

The technology works, and makes things faster and smoother for everyone, so I'm not against it, including on clay. Just that some things get lost.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good news for Seb Korda who is working with noted fitness trainer Jez Green, recently helped Seb nurse a wrist injury to health again, Seb has just returned to the tour in Madrid, after sustaining a wrist injury at the AO this year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jeddah is the leading bidder to host the season-ending NextGen Finals. It would be the first formal steps for the sport of tennis into Saudi Arabia. The tournament for players under 21 has been held in Milan, Italy, since 2017. Saudi Arabia is the clear favorite to win the rights to host, probably in a deal that will last 5 years.
With prize money of just over 2 million pounds there will certainly be no issues when it comes to funding.While initially the tournament will be restricted to men, it is believed that a female NextGen could well be introduced around 2025.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
White House announces unvaccinated international air travelers will be able to enter the US starting on May 11, officially enabling the unvaccinated Novak Djokovic to fly into the US for tournaments in the 2023 Summer hard court season

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
White House announces unvaccinated international air travelers will be able to enter the US starting on May 11, officially enabling the unvaccinated Novak Djokovic to fly into the US for tournaments in the 2023 Summer hard court season
It’s hard to believe it’s taken them so long, and at the same time, it isn’t hard to believe… :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.