2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
FYI, Novak is currently on a 20 match win streak going back to his loss in the Paris Masters final last year. He's still quite a ways from Borg's record of 49 matches in 1978, and his own best of 43 in 2010-11. It is tied for his 8th best match streak and the 85th 20-match win streak in Open Era history.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
21 points in a row sounds brutal.

Let's see how Meddy does against Novak. He has to overcome a 4 match losing streak against him. Before tournament I said I have a feeling that Meddy is going to win this SF if it would come to it. Should be a good match, possibly 3 sets.
Don he was down early in the 2nd set to Borna, then went on a mini rampage to win 62, my commies said he was in "God Mode" I thought that was a tad over the top lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to chuckle when Meddy said Novak was favored in the SF, then added he is 35 lol!

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In less than an hour Tommy Paul puts the hurt on Mackenzie McDonald 62 62 to reach the SFs at Acapulco. He'll face the Frtiz v Tiafoe winner next.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alex De Minaur powered past Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel, who stunned 2nd seed Casper Ruud yesterday, but had no answers against De Minaur. De Minaur faces either Berrettini or Rune in the S/F

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
21 points in a row sounds brutal.

Let's see how Meddy does against Novak. He has to overcome a 4 match losing streak against him. Before tournament I said I have a feeling that Meddy is going to win this SF if it would come to it. Should be a good match, possibly 3 sets.
I picked Medvedev to beat him in my draw challenge, but I'm not sure. Novak, since the first round, looks good, and I don't know that Medvedev is confident enough to carry it off. I think Medvedev has the game to trouble Novak and to beat him, but it takes all of his confidence, and I'm not sure if his head is there. He tends to shrivel a bit against the alpha dogs.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Frtiz continuing his winning ways against Tiafoe, their H2H is Fritz 5-1, Tiafoe 2nd serve let him down in the 1st set, I must comment that Fritz fhand is getting better and better.
Fritz 6-3
Tiafoe had a couple of BPs could not convert, Fritz just buttoned down the hatches.BTW they keep going to Fritz's blonde GF all the time, is she a person of importance lol! Fritz leads 4-3 2nd set, I must say there has been some 'fun points' in this 2nd set, crowd really wanting a 3rd set, Fritz will serve for the match 5-4
Another solid performance from Fritz 63 64 over Tiafoe, to me he is the one to beat for the title in Acapulco, into the SF., where he will playTommy Paul

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
With Taylor Fritz into the SFs in Acapulco it's 'mathematically' confirmed that Rafa Nadal will leave the Top Ten after IW.
For the first time since 25/4/2005. 912 consecutive weeks. Ridiculous

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play suspended in Acapulco ...........raining
Rune is 4-0 over Berrettini, who started like a 'house on fire'
19-5 points in 16 minutes
Matteo too slow, even on the ball, off fhand is Off, really poor start to a match., not running down any drop shots, commies on the match saying he has a 'strain in his right calf' well he has gone off court, maybe a physio can access it, though he will have to come back on court cold, so it could still be a 'disadvantage'.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play was stopped for around 35 mins due to rain Rune and Berrettini back on court
Berrettini is still hampered by his right calf, still not moving well at all
Rune gives him a bagel for the 1st set
Berrettini I feel should think of retiring, IW is just around the corner, just my thoughts

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I thought Berrettini retires no point going on when you can hardly move on court, good decision.
Rune blew him off the court, Rune will move onto the SFs in Acapluco
Rune will play Alex de Minaur in the SF

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In Mexico little Holger wins as Matteo Berrettini withdraws down6-0, 1-0. Obviously something was off from the getgo, Matteo only won 7 of 35 points played,though he never called for a MTO. Hope he’s OK, hasn’t been able to get much traction after an unfortunate 2022.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Mexico little Holger wins as Matteo Berrettini withdraws down6-0, 1-0. Obviously something was off from the getgo, Matteo only won 7 of 35 points played,though he never called for a MTO. Hope he’s OK, hasn’t been able to get much traction after an unfortunate 2022.
If you read my post you would have known the correct reason WHY Matteo retired for starters,
He had a strain in his right calf which impacted his movement from the start of the match
Apparently you did not Watch the Match,
It was raining and had a 30 minute delay
Came back on court and Matteo still could not move
I am glad he retired, most players would have retired in his situation?
BTW just to inform you Rune will play Alex de Minaur in the SF

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
SFs at Dubai

(2) A. Rublev v (7) A. Zverev
Not before 7pm
(1) N. Djolovic vs (3) D. Medvedev

SFs Acapulco,

(3) T. Fritz vs T.Paul (7)
(4) H. Rune vs Alex de Minaur (8)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Defending champ Rublev reaches back to back finals in Dubai defeating Zeverev 63 76(9). Rublev's first career win over Zverev
Coming back from injury Zverev had a solid week in Dubai, reaching the SFs interested to so how he fares in IW/Miami

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One thing Medvedev is doing is staying super-focused and keeping his head down. He's got the early break in set 2, but we'll see if he hangs on to it. As Margaret noted above, one break wasn't enough in the first, so he was lucky to have 2.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing Medvedev is doing is staying super-focused and keeping his head down. He's got the early break in set 2, but we'll see if he hangs on to it. As Margaret noted above, one break wasn't enough in the first, so he was lucky to have 2.
Meddy is a player that can make you commit ufe, at times when normally you would not, Novak looks frustrated to me in this match up so far., Novak has no answers to Meddy's play at present, again too many ufe., though one thing Novak 's ROS is great,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.