2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It would be great to see someone new like FAA win a slam this year but I don't see it happening. Which slam do you think his best chance would be? I think he may actually win RG first :astonished-face:
FAA played the best 5 sets vs Rafa EVER at RG 2022. I know Rafa doesn't want to see that form of Felix again in his half of the draw.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA has decided to change his schedule and not doing the whole indoor swing because he thought it was maybe why he didnt do well in IW and Miami, so he picked Doha and Dubai to get back outdoors before the US swing

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA played the best 5 sets vs Rafa EVER at RG 2022. I know Rafa doesn't want to see that form of Felix again in his half of the draw.
The problem is that FAA LOST the match. He also played Medvedev incredibly tough at the 2022 AO losing in 5 sets, and played a tough 2 set loss versus Djokovic at the Italian Open. These "moral" victories do not help Felix at this stage in his career, I would prefer he play at less than his ultimate best and WIN an ugly match.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Alcaraz wins Rio this week, he and Djokovic will be tied with 6,980 points, Djokovic will remain No 1, the Tie Breaker would go to Djokovic as he has better results from the GS and World Tour Finals., per the 2023 ATP rule book.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The problem is that FAA LOST the match. He also played Medvedev incredibly tough at the 2022 AO losing in 5 sets, and played a tough 2 set loss versus Djokovic at the Italian Open. These "moral" victories do not help Felix at this stage in his career, I would prefer he play at less than his ultimate best and WIN an ugly match.
I understand your point but RG to Rafa wasn't a Lost in my opinion.

Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Yeah, I remember messaging you during the match! FAA played incredible, Rafa had no choice but to play his very best in the 5th to avoid defeat. I never took Felix seriously on clay until that match, it will be interesting to see how he does at RG this year...

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I understand your point but RG to Rafa wasn't a Lost in my opinion.
I agree he played very well, but the initial question asked was about winning a Major and someone offered Roland Garros.

His 4 career titles (all last year) have been in indoor hard, IIRC he hasn't made a clay final in nearly 4 years.

So an incredibly well played loss to Nadal in the 4th round in Paris doesn automatically translate to me that his best shot is in RG. I would think the 2 HC Majors are his best chance, he even made the Semifinals in New York 2 years ago.

Many have noted he plays up to or down to the level of his competition.

Thats why i noted those close well played losses to quality opponents , up to now the mental tenacity is missing.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA needs to pop his big title cherry, then will be fine and hoover up a bunch of Masters, imo. Last year he won Rotterdam, and then nothing for most of they year, then won three titles in a row (two ATP 250s, one 500). I see him as a good candidate to win Masters soon, then be one of the strongest players in the last few months of the season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I remember messaging you during the match! FAA played incredible, Rafa had no choice but to play his very best in the 5th to avoid defeat. I never took Felix seriously on clay until that match, it will be interesting to see how he does at RG this year...
Do you think it was the Toni Nadal factor, FAA played well on the clay? personally speaking I have always thought his better surface was HC

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA needs to pop his big title cherry, then will be fine and hoover up a bunch of Masters, imo. Last year he won Rotterdam, and then nothing for most of they year, then won three titles in a row (two ATP 250s, one 500). I see him as a good candidate to win Masters soon, then be one of the strongest players in the last few months of the season.
El Dude, you've been on the Felix Bandwagon for about 3-4 years now, and I know that players develop at their own speed. Felix is a "pretty" player, his silky smooth game, good movement and natural talent is evident. Having said that, if what you predict for this year does not come to pass (stepping up to win at last a Masters) would you say it's more mental than anything technical to work on?

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Do you think it was the Toni Nadal factor, FAA played well on the clay? personally speaking I have always thought his better surface was HC
He's pretty good on the grass too. I would give his best opportunity to a slam title between Wimby/USO. I think Aus might be a bit too slow and as for RG, there are more credible threats (Charlie, Casper, Holger and any number of other serious dirtballers) there even when Djodal retires

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He's pretty good on the grass too. I would give his best opportunity to a slam title between Wimby/USO. I think Aus might be a bit too slow and as for RG, there are more credible threats (Charlie, Casper, Holger and any number of other serious dirtballers) there even when Djodal retires
Agree he is not bad on the grass, I cant see FAA winning RG in the future, other players with better clay legs for starters

Reactions: kskate2

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think so, I would have thought Wimbledon would be the best chance for his first slam but his results at Wimbledon haven't been great, although I think he made the QF one time? Taking Rafa to 5 at RG was a surprise and I think the level from that match probably beats every other player so it wouldn't shock me if RG was his first slam win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think so, I would have thought Wimbledon would be the best chance for his first slam but his results at Wimbledon haven't been great, although I think he made the QF one time? Taking Rafa to 5 at RG was a surprise and I think the level from that match probably beats every other player so it wouldn't shock me if RG was his first slam win.
I was surprised as well he took Rafa to 5 sets, personally I feel his best chance would be USO/Wimbledon
Though to me he has to win Masters, ATP tournament first, baby steps before a GS

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I was surprised as well he took Rafa to 5 sets, personally I feel his best chance would be USO/Wimbledon
Though to me he has to win a big ATP tournament first, baby steps before a GS
Does he not have any Masters titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.